Deus Ex creator: next gen predictions are "a fool's game"

Your comments on our articles.

And better graphics don't make better games

I rather like Warren Spector. For a man whose portfolio includes such deliciously dark-hearted efforts as Deus Ex, Thief and System Shock, he sure can twinkle, and for a man whose studio was recently shuttered by the House of Disney, he's startlingly short on acrimony. Games Industry International has just published Spector's first ever interview in the wake of Junction Point's closure - a full and frank read, from which I pluck the following wisdom.... read more

Deus Ex creator: next gen predictions are "a fool's game"

Postby hazy33 » 05 Apr 2013, 18:22

"The biggest risk associated with consoles, at least to me, is that they're frozen, hardware-wise"

Maybe to the rich but to us normal people it's one of the advantages: buy your console and you've upwards of 5 years worth of gaming ahead of you where all the games are tailored to your machine.
hazy33 25

Re: Deus Ex creator: next gen predictions are

Postby fracturedrich » 05 Apr 2013, 22:03

Graphics dont make good games eh,well ime currently playing bioshock and ni no kuni and they certainly help,a lot i would say.On the other hand ime enjoying games that have not got the graphics aswell.Theres a case but ive got a prediction there will be bad games on next gen aswell as good games,i think some developers ideas just don't come off like blink,big ideas what did not come off.
fracturedrich 48

Postby TomAZ600 » 05 Apr 2013, 23:19

He's right about graphics though. It works the opposite way round as well, one of my favourite games "Fahrenheit" was panned for its rubbish graphics but its nearly on every best game of the decade list.
TomAZ600 35

Postby SilentDark » 06 Apr 2013, 09:53

Graphics don't make good games! What heresy is this? Burn him, burn the unbeliever!

And that is a given really, but it gives me another chance to gush over Baldur's Gate 2 so I'll take it.

Baldur's Gate has graphics that by most peoples modern standards would probably be considered "good for the time" at best, but the great writing and characters kept me coming back for more. One has only to google search "Play old games on Windows Vista/7/8" to look at how many classic games are still played today.

Heck look at the final fantasy series, you have a group of fanboys which say the franchise was best during it's 2D era (ok 4 was really good and 6 did have Kefka) and even more who swear the games never managed to match 7 (actually 9 is the best, and if you don't agree...well you're wrong) look at the franchise today where despite getting prettier and prettier they are some of the most reviled games in the franchise, 13 was basically the gaming equivalent of how to lose friends and alienate people.

Wow, I managed to gush over BG2 and trash FF13 in the same post. This is a good start to the day :)
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67