The best Xbox 360 fighting games - an expert's commentary

Your comments on our articles.

James Hammond ranks his favourites

Prior to this console generation, the fighting game genre was on its last legs, with hardly any developers willing to invest in such a dead market. Sure, you still had your Tekkens and your Dead or Alives, but something was missing. Something involving a certain Street and a roster of unforgettable Fighters.... read more

The best Xbox 360 fighting games - an expert's commentary

Postby msbhvn » 07 Apr 2013, 14:46

No BlazBlue? Tedious and incoherent story mode, fifteen different special move bars and overly game-changing balance updates aside, it's quite an enjoyable fighter. The combo system does rely a little too much on accuracy, but the variety of play styles among the character roster is very impressive. Throw in the innovative Legion mode and the frustratingly hard Survival and you have the best new fighting IP of this console generation.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Re: The best Xbox 360 fighting games - an expert's commentar

Postby Grummy » 07 Apr 2013, 14:51

I'm trying to work out why Mortal Kombat isn't on here, it's about the most faithful current gen installment of any fighting game. It's absolutely fantastic.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Plamsa wing » 07 Apr 2013, 15:01

This so called "top 5" list, has a bad case of missing BlazBlue and Mortal Kombat. :wink:

Can you really count Street Fighters 4 as a series though? Capcom seems intent on releasing it every two seconds.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby SidTheSloth » 07 Apr 2013, 15:03

Shows how much the stock of Soul Calibur has diminished that it doesn't make this list. Suppose that serves them right for releasing a sequel where half the characters have been replaced by their spawn... :roll:

Never been a huge fan of Mortal Kombat, guessing that might be why i'm not fully blown away by the Injustice demo given their foundations.

Thought Street Fighter did well to avoid any mention of the cheap bastard known as Seth. Eugh.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby msbhvn » 07 Apr 2013, 15:40

Mortal Kombat was good, but almost ruined by rule-breaking boss characters and a shallow combo system. Freddy Krueger was a genius piece of DLC, though.

Soul Calibur, where did it all go wrong? SC2 on Xbox and Gamecube was fantastic. I never played SC3 due to never owning a PS2, but I understand it introduced the character creator. SC4 had the hugely incongruous Star Wars crossover and not a lot to do in single player. The random opponents in the Tower of Lost Souls mode were a highlight. SC5, I kind of forgot all about, might pick it up cheap soon.

Seth was toned down a little in Super SF4, but yes, he's an annoying cheap bastard. In vanilla SF4 Seth was outdone by Cammy who absolutely drubbed me many a time when I played Ryu or Ken. Cheating cow! :x
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby SidTheSloth » 07 Apr 2013, 16:07

msbhvn wrote:Soul Calibur, where did it all go wrong? SC2 on Xbox and Gamecube was fantastic. I never played SC3 due to never owning a PS2, but I understand it introduced the character creator. SC4 had the hugely incongruous Star Wars crossover and not a lot to do in single player. The random opponents in the Tower of Lost Souls mode were a highlight. SC5, I kind of forgot all about, might pick it up cheap soon.

You're missing the original Dreamcast version dude - that was incredible!! We used to use that to decide everything washing up/food shopping related etc in our house-share, along with Mario Kart of course! Good times :) SC2 was indeed awesome, weirdly the Gamecube version was my preference mainly because the controller fit the game perfectly with the button layout. Link was also probably the best/most balanced bonus character they had in the series. 4 was decent, but i struggled to play with the 360 controller. SC5 got rid of half the cast which was just ridiculous if one of them was your character (can you tell i'm bitter?). I believe you could unlock the ones removed but to add more insult, even if you did they didn't have their proper moveset. Imagine Street Fighter without Ryu? No, niether can I. Morons.

msbhvn wrote:Seth was toned down a little in Super SF4, but yes, he's an annoying cheap bastard. In vanilla SF4 Seth was outdone by Cammy who absolutely drubbed me many a time when I played Ryu or Ken. Cheating cow! :x

Think i discussed this with Mav before, but i never mind Cammy all that much. She's not easy of course, but i always struggle more with Chun-li. I'd probably struggle against any of them right now but she was/is a particular bitch. I don't mind any of them too much though as they're just 'playing well' compared to Seth's outright overpowered moveset.

None of the SFIV crowd have given me as much trouble Vega from SF2 did though, used to play through dreading getting to him!! :x The only guy i could consistently beat him with weirdly was Guile, annoying as he was one of my least favourite characters to use! :)

Think the articles description of Tekken explains why i don't quite get on with it. It's just a bit too dancey-dancey-tactics-tactics for me... Or in other words im shit at it.

Dead or Alive i actually quite like gameplay wise, got #2 at launch with my PS2 - but i just won't buy the shit while their focus is on something other than the fighting :roll:
SidTheSloth 54

Postby msbhvn » 07 Apr 2013, 16:45

I haven't forgotten the DC Soul Calibur (or its predecessor Soul Blade/Edge on PS1), I was just pointing out that SC2 was the pinnacle of the series, with huge amounts of single player goodness. I used an adapter with my PS1 controller for the Gamecube version because of the tiny d-pad on the GC controller.

I still have nightmares of Vega in SNES SF2. Thirty plus continues to beat him was not uncommon. They fixed him in Turbo, thankfully.

Have you tried playing Super SF2 Turbo recently, or SF2 Anniversary? I can't get past two or three rounds even on the lowest difficulty, it's so stupidly hard. It's a good job they included SF3 Third Strike on the Xbox version, or I'd never have bothered with it at all. The SF2 anime wasn't half bad, either.
msbhvn 69

Postby SidTheSloth » 07 Apr 2013, 17:57

msbhvn wrote:I haven't forgotten the DC Soul Calibur (or its predecessor Soul Blade/Edge on PS1), I was just pointing out that SC2 was the pinnacle of the series, with huge amounts of single player goodness. I used an adapter with my PS1 controller for the Gamecube version because of the tiny d-pad on the GC controller.

Ok grumpy-chops, was just saying - lots of people forget the Dreamcast version existed! :wink: PS1 prequel never really grabbed me weirdly so i don't count that!

msbhvn wrote:I still have nightmares of Vega in SNES SF2. Thirty plus continues to beat him was not uncommon. They fixed him in Turbo, thankfully.

He was and still is an utter, utter, utter bastard. I recall 'fondly' shouting at him to get off the sodding fence, and then instantly regretting it when he complied and kicked my arse :roll: I was a mega drive lad primarily so played mostly on the CE version (with the Mega Drive' amazing 6-button controller), but made my brother get it for the SNES too as we used to swap consoles for a bit, (mainly for Mario Kart)! SNES version was a bit slicker as i recall, but the pad wasn't even close to the fighting game perfection of the MD controller! >reminisces<

msbhvn wrote:Have you tried playing Super SF2 Turbo recently, or SF2 Anniversary? I can't get past two or three rounds even on the lowest difficulty, it's so stupidly hard. It's a good job they included SF3 Third Strike on the Xbox version, or I'd never have bothered with it at all. The SF2 anime wasn't half bad, either.

You mean the arcade versions? If so, then no - basically because i bought it (turbo) at release and got absolutely annihilated. Repeatedly. 3 rounds is pretty much my limit too, to make it easier i go predictably with Ryu who always gets to fight my bogey character in round 3, the 'lovely' chun-li :x I had to google to see if it was always that hard and i'd been amazing on the MD/SNES, or as i suspected more likely - they'd upped the difficulty significantly. I concur it is staggeringly and off-puttingly difficult. What annoys me more is my younger brother has 100%'d it. Somehow. I regret showing him the ropes now when we were younger. Git.
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Metalrodent » 07 Apr 2013, 18:57

I really like fighting games, owning DoA 4, KoF XIII and SC4. I know this isn't a lot and there's a reason for that. I am absolutely terrible, I cannot get to grips with the things.
DoA4 I think is a great game, but the 'story' missions are a right grind, the fact that he says 5 requires even more knowledge and skill does not inspire me to go out and get it xD and KoF, god, I can't even complete the tutorial, it requires you to input some horrible combos that I simply cannot master, or even attain once. I can get through most of the story without too much trouble relying on dodging and basic moves, but the final boss is totally out of my league. Soul Caliber was easier, and had the fun of the character creation to extend its lifetime for me.
so as much as I enjoy the things, they are not for me.
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby EdDeRs1 » 07 Apr 2013, 21:49

what no WWE '13? I love that game, and yes admittedly its not as crazy as the others, you can't use your health bar as a weapon, but their is something refreshingly old school about powerbombing someone through a flaming table...
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby Roosputin » 29 Apr 2013, 15:53

While Street Fighter 4 is undoubtedly the best of the current crop, Mortal Kombat deserves an honourable mention at least.

It's proof that style over substance isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Roosputin 1