to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Rumour: Xbox 720 reveal date is 21st May, Microsoft also pla

Your comments on our articles.

Entertainment-only Xbox "Yumo" reportedly cancelled

Sick of Xbox 720 rumours yet? Ah, but this one's different: it's written in complete sentences rather than mystery-mongering three-word phrases, and the source actually has a name. According to tech blogger and serial leaker Paul Thurrott, the next generation Xbox will go public on 21st May. Two days before my birthday, then. Way to upstage, Microsoft.... read more

Postby Notblad » 08 Apr 2013, 10:08

If it is not backwards compatible I will not get it for many years to come. Think about that, microsoft!
Notblad 20

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Apr 2013, 10:14

Bloody nora, how long they going to keep me waiting? May is ages off, I'll have to cancel Eds birthday plans now.

I hope it's april, mainly because it's april right now.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Re: Rumour: Xbox 720 reveal date is 21st May, Microsoft also

Postby steve_2003 » 08 Apr 2013, 10:25

If the reveal date is May, then they have no consideration as it's going to be way after my birthday this month and that's not right! :x
As for the console, If true, the backwards compatibility issue doesn't bother me, the 360 wasn't fully backwards compatible and I grabbed that at launch... besides, I'll probably be keeping my Xbox 360 anyway.
Still, to be honest, it is a rumour..... a well written rumour, but still a rumour. :)
Last edited by steve_2003 on 08 Apr 2013, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
steve_2003 64

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Apr 2013, 10:28

a $99 xbox eh, wonder if they've learnt from the mistakes of the Wii Mini
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby GHOSTY05 » 08 Apr 2013, 10:32

Always online and no backward compatibility hmm...

Can't imagine there will be many great games at launch, i will be too busy playing GTA 5 on my 360 and if i can't play this on my new xbox whats the point in adopting early?

Personally i think it will be backwards compatible but perhaps only for the latest Xbox 360 games.

My Xbox 360 is always online anyway but i don't like being at the mercy of Virgin media just when i want to play on something.
GHOSTY05 41

Postby PaladinRonin » 08 Apr 2013, 10:55

I really hope the lack of backwards compatibility and having to be on-line only are still just rumours. I really can't see Microsoft at lest implimetting the latter after all the crap EA have gotten for making their new games online only, and I also don't see the point in it.
I'm still not sure this is the right time for a new console, anyway. Is there not potentional in upgrading?
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 32

Postby Kushan » 08 Apr 2013, 11:04

Honestly don't care about backwards compatibility. What I do care about is that it's going to be stupidly expensive, probably not as powerful (certainly no more powerful) than the PS4, has stupid always-on bullshit that nobody wants and prevents used games.
Before we knew anything about the PS4/720, I was pretty certain I'd go for Microsoft's console, based on this generation. They've done their best to convince me otherwise.
Kushan 9

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Apr 2013, 11:26

Enters Devils Advocate mode;

What exactly is the problem with always online? Who doesn't play their Xbox whilst signed into live? Whose internet is actually so bad it goes down constantly and not maybe once or twice a year, like power as idiot microsoft guy said?

You don't need speeds of that mexican, kinda rat thing to connect to the internet - the only time I have connection problems is during online play (mp) and well... if I'm online... I'm online!!!

Oh but if my internet goes down I'll have to read a book or something! - Well Little Timmy, that's true - but how often and for how long is your internet not working? If there's no backwards compatibility, why not just play on your 360 then?

/Exits mode. The only problem is not getting a connection, realistically I get a connection all the time in the middle of nowhere up north, unless something goes wrong with the lines. But even if something did go wrong, can you not live without it for the day or two that it would take to fix maximum? Oh wait, that's still Devs Ad mode...
Bezza89 68

Postby hazy33 » 08 Apr 2013, 11:27

If it's always on what happens when they remove support? Your 720 becomes an unusable pile of metal and plastic.
hazy33 25

Postby SidTheSloth » 08 Apr 2013, 11:49

Bezza89 wrote:Enters Devils Advocate mode;

What exactly is the problem with always online? Who doesn't play their Xbox whilst signed into live? Whose internet is actually so bad it goes down constantly and not maybe once or twice a year, like power as idiot microsoft guy said?

You don't need speeds of that mexican, kinda rat thing to connect to the internet - the only time I have connection problems is during online play (mp) and well... if I'm online... I'm online!!!

Oh but if my internet goes down I'll have to read a book or something! - Well Little Timmy, that's true - but how often and for how long is your internet not working? If there's no backwards compatibility, why not just play on your 360 then?

/Exits mode. The only problem is not getting a connection, realistically I get a connection all the time in the middle of nowhere up north, unless something goes wrong with the lines. But even if something did go wrong, can you not live without it for the day or two that it would take to fix maximum? Oh wait, that's still Devs Ad mode...

Devils advocate? Or ignorant bystander? I know you jest, but there's still plenty of the planet that has little in the way of constant/reliable internet access but has 360 coverage. These are the countries that currently have access to Live - hardly an all-inclusive list when you consider how many countries there are that do have 360 access? The coverage in those countries is still debatable with many countries fiddling the statistics as Internet coverage/speed seems to be some sort of dick measuring contest for governments these days. Parts of Wales/Scotland/South West England still struggle to get online consistently, and that's looking closer to home. I struggle to believe they'll go down this route, unless they offer two different packages for the haves/have nots, but the most important thing is none of us knows, so until we do, like the rest of these tiresome rumours, it quite frankly isn't that damn important.

(NB: Not a direct dig at you, at the concept in general, your comment through joking summed up the majority of comments i've seen)
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Apr 2013, 11:53

Bezza89 wrote:What exactly is the problem with always online? Who doesn't play their Xbox whilst signed into live? Whose internet is actually so bad it goes down constantly and not maybe once or twice a year, like power as idiot microsoft guy said?

Mine used to go down multiple times a day, and I have some friends who it still does (not my fault we live in the county with worst internet xD)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Apr 2013, 12:03

SidTheSloth wrote:I struggle to believe they'll go down this route, unless they offer two different packages for the haves/have nots, but the most important thing is none of us knows, so until we do, like the rest of these tiresome rumours, it quite frankly isn't that damn important.

(NB: Not a direct dig at you, at the concept in general, your comment through joking summed up the majority of comments i've seen)

I don't think they will either, but I think some people overstate the problems associated with it. Look at phone reception, it's not covered very well but that doesn't stop people buying the latest smart phones which are rendered useless with no signal. Again, it's not a good point, it's not even my point as I stole it but I think people need to chill as you say, these are rumours - probably conjoured by sony :P
Bezza89 68

Postby moses2kay9 » 08 Apr 2013, 12:34

I have a problem with always online because my connection sucks. Especially over the last few months, it's been dropping several times a day, and I s**t you not, it dropped right as I went to post this comment. Just got a new hub, and it blows. If the new Xbox is always online, then it'll mean that several times a day I won't be able to play.
Plus, what happens if you do lose your connection? Say for example, you're playing Halo's campaign on single player, or Minecraft single player. Would it just stop the game and save your progress, or would it keep going until the connection came back?
moses2kay9 28

Postby PonderingWalrus » 08 Apr 2013, 12:38

Bezza89 wrote:What exactly is the problem with always online? Who doesn't play their Xbox whilst signed into live? Whose internet is actually so bad it goes down constantly and not maybe once or twice a year, like power as idiot microsoft guy said?

My internet sometime gets shaky at peak times and this can render my 360 nearly useless when connected to Xbox Live.

But it's more the principle than anything else. If the next Xbox requires a constant LIVE connection to work what's to stop Microsoft simply pulling the plug on it when they feel they are done with it. Nintendo 64's didn't require an always online internet connection and, as a result, I can still happily play it and all its classic games all these years down the line.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby SidTheSloth » 08 Apr 2013, 12:48

Principle or not people, it's all conjecture for now. I understand your concerns, but cool your rage and let's talk about games that are out, or we know are coming out than waffle on about yet another rumour from mystery sources...

Saw someone the other day saying MS are handling this really badly - that idiot on Twitter the other day aside, i don't exactly see how? We know it's coming, they know we know it's coming so what's the problem - they'll announce news when they have it. I'd flip it on its head and say it's a combination of the media fuelling the inevitable fire and us - the gamers - who're handling it badly, much the same as with the GTA fan rage.

Bit surprised by OXM publishing all these rumours tbh, sure we only ever used to get them when they were proven true, or at least 90%+ certain. Now if a zookeeper in Kentucky mentions he's seen Durango and it eats the same food as Squirrels it's deemed good enough to be newsworthy - but when such headlines draw rage infected users who add to the 'hit' score i suppose it's not an overwhelming surprise given the financial need to survive etc. Is this what they call a necessary evil?
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Next