to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

EA on winning Worst Company in America again: some complaint

Your comments on our articles.

But others are "100 per cent legitimate", admits Peter Moore

EA's on the verge of topping a Consumerist poll for the Worst Company in America for the second year running, don't you know. Chief operating officer Peter Moore isn't terribly happy with that.... read more

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Apr 2013, 11:06

Would naming them the worst company ever in the universe make me enjoy their games any less? No. They could be called 'Baby murderers of the year' or 'Terrorist Sympathisers of the decade' but I'd still have fun on SimCity, I'd still buy Dragon Age 3, I'd still go through Mass Effect 3 again to finish up my Shepards.

I know everyone hates EA, I don't, I think their marketing teams are retarded and they say some of the stupidest things you ever hear but if they're devs are making good games I don't give a fupp, until my enjoyment of a game is affected by blocking content off as the conspiracy theorists claim then I'll keep playing good games while they complain about the publisher.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 67

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Apr 2013, 11:13

woo, I mean sure EA has made mistakes, and makes some very poor decisions - but the worst company?
Hell no, as he says they haven't killed anyone, hurt people, bankrupted or stole from anyone.

This is just angry nerds, braindead protesters and people trying to shift the blame from the companies causing the real problems in society
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Re: EA on winning Worst Company in America again: some compl

Postby magilicious1 » 08 Apr 2013, 12:22

Lol, I don't think the 45 million registered users of Origin had a choice. It was either sign up to Origin to play EA games or never play them...
Part-time worker, full-time gamer.
magilicious1 27

Postby Rista B » 08 Apr 2013, 14:13

Bezza89 wrote:Would naming them the worst company ever in the universe make me enjoy their games any less? No. They could be called 'Baby murderers of the year' or 'Terrorist Sympathisers of the decade' but I'd still have fun on SimCity, I'd still buy Dragon Age 3, I'd still go through Mass Effect 3 again to finish up my Shepards.

I know everyone hates EA, I don't, I think their marketing teams are retarded and they say some of the stupidest things you ever hear but if they're devs are making good games I don't give a fupp, until my enjoyment of a game is affected by blocking content off as the conspiracy theorists claim then I'll keep playing good games while they complain about the publisher.

Not all of "hate" EA. I also enjoy many of their games and guess what? The EA games that don't interest me, I don't buy! It's an amazing concept I know but one more people should try instead of flying off into a rage about how evil EA is. Yep, I was not thrilled with the ending to ME 3 either but the overall ME series is still one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

In the meantime, I'll still be thinking that huge financial (US mortgage meltdown, Iceland financial collapse, Cyprus, etc, etc) and energy companies are much more dangerous to us puny mortals instead of a entertainment company who's worst offense seems to be the occasional disappointing game and not so great customer service.
Rista B 13

Postby FishyGinger » 08 Apr 2013, 14:56

Rista B wrote:Not all of "hate" EA. I also enjoy many of their games and guess what? The EA games that don't interest me, I don't buy! It's an amazing concept I know but one more people should try instead of flying off into a rage about how evil EA is. Yep, I was not thrilled with the ending to ME 3 either but the overall ME series is still one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had.

In the meantime, I'll still be thinking that huge financial (US mortgage meltdown, Iceland financial collapse, Cyprus, etc, etc) and energy companies are much more dangerous to us puny mortals instead of a entertainment company who's worst offense seems to be the occasional disappointing game and not so great customer service.

Yeah but like...games innit. Much more important than stuff like energy or mortgages.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Waffles2541 » 08 Apr 2013, 16:01

Seems like this award is just an opportunity for internet nerds to complain about EA, because no one cares about their opinions away from the Internets. EA is a company first of all, and they have to make money, so they appeal to concepts and ideas that are tried and tested, that's why they pump out so many sequels and "copies" of existing games, because they know the non-internet nerds will just jump on them. Every now and then they will venture into new waters and finance a new IP, and to be honest there isn't a single EA game that I would call terrible. There are those that I didn't like but that is down to personal opinion, i.e. sports games. The micro-transactions is entirely optional, and in both ME3 and DS3 it was still possible of getting the packs without spending your own money.

Plus, it's not like EA has killed anyone or destroyed the environment. This 'Worst Company in America" award is a complete waste of time for anyone who isn't permanently glued to their computers and oozing teenage nerd rage.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 40

Postby battfink83 » 08 Apr 2013, 22:08

servers are crap, games are NEVER fixed, online passes, micro transactions, to name but a few things as to why i think EA are a pile of garbage.

i actually buy their games, im not one of these people who just harks on about how shoddy they are, ive been playing their games for over 20 years, supporting them, but they always shoot themselves in the foot. they have the potential to be the greatest games company in the world yet they choose not to by ruinign their titles
battfink83 51

Postby SadCheesecake » 08 Apr 2013, 23:35

well there are probably loads of worse companies in America that are to small/bad to even be recognized for this though
SadCheesecake 7

Postby PonderingWalrus » 08 Apr 2013, 23:52

MasterChiefJ117 wrote:My vote goes to 343i and Certain Affinity for ruining the Halo 4 multiplayer! :lol:

Woah! Never saw that coming. :mrgreen:
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Grummy » 09 Apr 2013, 01:54

He has a point, a lot of these conversations are held at work or in bars, gamers are tied to the internet, so whilst they may not be the worst Company in America in reality, the sheer number of gamers who are clearly unhappy enough to vote them into that position is telling enough that they should take notice.

Typically, some of his rebuttals are missing the point. The Sim City-DRM thing, perhaps he is telling the truth, but appearances matter, and from how they have handled things, it appears that DRM management IS in fact the primary consideration in effect.

Similarly the microtransactions thing, yes millions of people like it, but those people aren't really gamers, they're not the people that put their money down on EA products that built the company into what it is today. MT's have their place, they're fine on handheld devices, mobiles and tablets, they're fine for bitesized games, personally I think they're OK in mainstream games as long as they are purely optional and players aren't hindered or disadvantaged without them, but people are scared of this trend. People know EA's reputation and are concerned that things like MTs are going to become common place and necessary parts of their gaming, which gamers don't want at all, but he's ignoring this. What he says about millions of people being fine with them is true, but it's not the whole truth, and his ignoring of the whole truth is an example of why people don't trust EA and why so many gamers wanted to vote them as being the worst company in America.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby CunningSmile » 09 Apr 2013, 09:55

battfink83 wrote:servers are crap, games are NEVER fixed, online passes, micro transactions, to name but a few things as to why i think EA are a pile of garbage.

i actually buy their games, im not one of these people who just harks on about how shoddy they are, ive been playing their games for over 20 years, supporting them, but they always shoot themselves in the foot. they have the potential to be the greatest games company in the world yet they choose not to by ruinign their titles

What possible motivation could they have to change if you buy the game anyway? If you and everyone else stopped they would change their business practices, as it is they get to roll around in piles of cash because their business model works.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Dave2123 » 09 Apr 2013, 11:11

I think polls like this are very telling of the level of intelligence and general understanding of the real world and the important things in it that the general populace has. Yes, EA has made a few mistakes with their games, but, what i don't think everyone understands is, they're just games!! These might be an important part of some of our lives; a way to spend time and relax doing something we enjoy, but they're not as important as the infrastructure that governs our lives, our economy, etc..

Some companies were single-handedly responsible for the recession which has spread throughout the western world, the greatest environmental disasters in recent history, and costing us, the taxpayer, several billions of pounds. These are who should be competing for WCIA not game developers and beer manufactures (yes, i know the bank of america is up there).

To elaborate on my topic sentence, it is evident that most people don't realise what is truly important in their lives if they are not directly involved in it themselves. Most people don't really understand what led to the recession or what the real impact for them is, but they drink beer and play games so they most be the most important things, right? Wrong!

To conclude, even if EA made the worst games ever they would not be the worst company in America, because, after all, you can just buy other games, but when some companies mess things up it impacts you whether you're involved with them or not. Also, I know I've made some (possibly harsh) generalisations but exaggeration is a useful way to put my point across.
Dave2123 29

Postby CunningSmile » 09 Apr 2013, 11:31

Dave2123 wrote:I think polls like this are very telling of the level of intelligence and general understanding of the real world and the important things in it that the general populace has. Yes, EA has made a few mistakes with their games, but, what i don't think everyone understands is, they're just games!! These might be an important part of some of our lives; a way to spend time and relax doing something we enjoy, but they're not as important as the infrastructure that governs our lives, our economy, etc..

Some companies were single-handedly responsible for the recession which has spread throughout the western world, the greatest environmental disasters in recent history, and costing us, the taxpayer, several billions of pounds. These are who should be competing for WCIA not game developers and beer manufactures (yes, i know the bank of america is up there).

To elaborate on my topic sentence, it is evident that most people don't realise what is truly important in their lives if they are not directly involved in it themselves. Most people don't really understand what led to the recession or what the real impact for them is, but they drink beer and play games so they most be the most important things, right? Wrong!

To conclude, even if EA made the worst games ever they would not be the worst company in America, because, after all, you can just buy other games, but when some companies mess things up it impacts you whether you're involved with them or not. Also, I know I've made some (possibly harsh) generalisations but exaggeration is a useful way to put my point across.

Great point, well made.

Even leaving aside worldwide problems Apple's factories in China have such a high suicide rate they've installed nets to catch people when they jump. I know Foxcon is in China, but they work for an American company who is fully aware of the conditions, so who is worse; a company that condones working conditions so harsh they drive the work force to kill themselves in the quest for better % profit margins or the company that messed up the end of Mass Effect?
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 09 Apr 2013, 12:23

CunningSmile wrote:a company that condones working conditions so harsh they drive the work force to kill themselves in the quest for better % profit margins or the company that messed up the end of Mass Effect?

Is it the mass effect thing?
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby CunningSmile » 09 Apr 2013, 12:51

FishyGinger wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:a company that condones working conditions so harsh they drive the work force to kill themselves in the quest for better % profit margins or the company that messed up the end of Mass Effect?

Is it the mass effect thing?

Well done, did you want to try for the bonus prize behind door number two, or stick with what you already have?
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Next