to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Defiance

Your comments on our articles.

A brave new world of inter-species co-operation, post-apocalyptic survival, terraformed habitats and transmedia franchise launches

Defiance is a game. But it's also, simultaneously, a television show. NBC has pumped a lot of cash into this Western-feeling sci-fi franchise, in the hope that players will presumably play this Defiance game between episodes of the Defiance TV show whilst wearing their Defiance pyjamas and eating Defiance-branded junk food from their Defiance lunchboxes. The show and game are so closely entwined that we were sent a copy of the pilot along with our review copy.... read more

Defiance

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Apr 2013, 12:05

another point, are there any AI teammates or offline activities? Because this the servers will probably become a wasteland at some points
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Re: Defiance

Postby Alaric14 » 08 Apr 2013, 12:22

Interesting, it seems Defiance has been a little over-hyped. Looking at the game it reminds me of the Dreamcast's first forays into big multiplayer games with Phantasy Star Online, which was a popular little game by virtue of it being more or less the only big co-op experience to be found on consoles. Perhaps Defiance will do well because it's the only console game we could truly call an 'MMO'? I've also heard that Trion Worlds has struck a deal with Microsoft in order to jump the fence that brings a lot of online Xbox360 worlds to a crashing halt: updates.

If Defiance were to receive a little bit of care and attention, would that warrant a heartier recommendation? Is there a new review format on the horizon where scores or critical paragraphs are updated/added to reflect ongoing development? Is OXM the site to do it? Is Batman really comfortable in those dark tights?
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby PonderingWalrus » 08 Apr 2013, 12:25

Metalrodent wrote:another point, are there any AI teammates or offline activities? Because this the servers will probably become a wasteland at some points

I was under the impression this was a pure MMO which means no internet connection, no game. :(
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby SidTheSloth » 08 Apr 2013, 12:40

I don't own the game, have any affiliation to the game, nor am i neighbour/relation/milkman to any of the development/publishing team - but i have to admit i find this review errs on the side of 'unfair'. Comparing any MMO's combat to a single player equivalent will lead to bad scores for the MMO - it's unfortunate but at the present time there's always concessions with MMO's, usually graphically and combat-wise.

Get the impression this may be the first/one of the first MMO's the reviewer has come across as a lot of PC mags/sites reviewed MMO's like regular games back their inception and have since realised that it's a bit unfair. Some of the criticisms may well be justified, i can only imagine graphically to get it running on a 360 must have meant huge sacrifices texture wise etc. but nowhere does he mention how long he played for, how many areas he visited nor anything really of any detail (i know, i know, word count etc). Are the vehicles in the console version too for example?

Put this in the Defiance thread over in GD, it's a video link showing early impressions of the game, mentioning some of the concessions required for MMO's etc. It's the PC version in the vid, but the guy does this for a living so his vids tend to be a lot better than someone random with a capture device. Obviously if someone know of a better vid that's 360 relevant then kick it up!
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby ItchyRash » 08 Apr 2013, 12:56

For a brief time I was so sure it said "a brave new world for trans-gender clowns" on the home page. Are there any trans-gender clowns? Do they exist in any game?
ItchyRash 42

Postby Tug » 08 Apr 2013, 14:19

This looked so promising as well ):
Tug 27

Postby LUCASH525 » 08 Apr 2013, 15:00

" Horribly brown and uninspired world"
well this is a s**t reason of course its like this as its the F**KING setting of the game its like saying oh Fallout feels to much like a nuclear war torn world!
LUCASH525 7

Postby videogameplayer » 08 Apr 2013, 15:10

Beta of game was rubbish
Glad I didn't buy :D
videogameplayer 1

Postby pg99 » 08 Apr 2013, 15:12

LUCASH525 wrote:" Horribly brown and uninspired world"
well this is a s**t reason of course its like this as its the F**KING setting of the game its like saying oh Fallout feels to much like a nuclear war torn world!

The setting of the game is an uninspired world? I can't help but feel they could have made a better decision there...
pg99 14

Postby PonderingWalrus » 08 Apr 2013, 15:43

I've not played an MMO in years but I still can't help but feel slightly tempted to purchase this. The only thing that is holding me back is the lack of an offline fall-back mode should the servers be empty.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby fatalgilly » 08 Apr 2013, 16:21

The game is definetly rough around the edges but for some reason i'm still not put off, the more and more i play it, the more and more i like it.
Yes the graphics are not amazing and i must admit... turning up to a mission location just as one guy's there like... 'oh hey... errm.. yeah... i kind of already completed this mission for you' can be a little fustrating but this has only happened to me... like... once?

I was never really sure before getting it but then i did that whole arkfall training thing on the website, and i thought... well i've got all this free stuff now... might as well get it. Its been alot of fun. Though i must agree with OXM this game is far from perfect, but its still alot of fun and i would recommend it to anyone :)
fatalgilly 22

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Apr 2013, 16:30

In light of its popularity round these parts (boosted, presumably, by the TV show), I'm going to do a couple of diary pieces on Defiance. Any particular approach you chaps want me to take?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Bongzilla1878 » 08 Apr 2013, 16:49

OXM ETboy wrote:In light of its popularity round these parts (boosted, presumably, by the TV show), I'm going to do a couple of diary pieces on Defiance. Any particular approach you chaps want me to take?

A sexy one.
HEY EVERYONE, COME SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK.
Bongzilla1878 28

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Apr 2013, 16:54

"The Sexiest Man in Defiance" - a six-parter, featuring HD video and diagrams. Yep, PR's going to love that one.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Bongzilla1878 » 08 Apr 2013, 17:04

OXM ETboy wrote:"The Sexiest Man in Defiance" - a six-parter, featuring HD video and diagrams. Yep, PR's going to love that one.

Genius! Granted it'd be a hard sell. Oo-er.
HEY EVERYONE, COME SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK.
Bongzilla1878 28

Next