to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox 720 leaker: PS4 fans are writing off Microsoft based on

Your comments on our articles.

Thurrott slams "knee-jerk reaction" to always-online rumours

There's another wrinkle to this morning's rumour about the nature and capabilities of the next generation Xbox - according to Paul Thurrott, the respected tech blogger behind the "leak", much of the fracas surrounding the notion of an always-online console is unwarranted, and declarations that Sony's PS4 will carry the day are hilariously premature.... read more

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Apr 2013, 13:10

Maybe some spoilers for Bioshock Infinite here, ironically they're only spoilers by me calling them spoilers, but if I hadn't I would have been called out on it. Anyway;

I'm pretty sure this guy is me pulled in from another universe where I accepted BBQ sauce on a bacon sandwich and became a tech blogger rather than a scientist. I 100% agree with him and even have my own theories on the gertrude from my own 'experience' which doesn't exist.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Lazarus22nd » 08 Apr 2013, 13:11

No one ever mentions "DRM" after the always-on, like he says it might not mean you have to be online to play your games, just that it it's designed to be interlinked with live tiles etc which are constantly connected when available. I'm willing to give MS the benefit of the doubt for the time being, we'll find out soon enough. :)
Lazarus22nd 50

Re: Xbox 720 leaker: PS4 fans are writing off Microsoft base

Postby squirrelofDoom » 08 Apr 2013, 13:47

I'm still convinced that the "Always connected" thing is to do with updates and general maintenance. My theory is that there might be a subscription based package. Something like pay £50, and then your Xbox gold costs £10 a month for 2 yrs. If so then Microsoft will have to build some sort of failsafe, so that you can't just buy the Xbox then use it offline and not pay anything else. If I can think of doing that, then many more can. Once you paid it all off, it unlocks completely for offline use. It's no different than a hire purchase on a car. You don't pay, expect a tow truck next week and no car. Same thing for the Xbox, don't pay, you have an expensive paper weight. but again its just a theory.
squirrelofDoom 24

Postby pg99 » 08 Apr 2013, 14:36

Insults about peoples intelligence are really overused on the internet and I try to refrain, but this guy is a MORON. So according to what you've seen it needs to always be online to be used, but everything about it is really positive? You love playing multiplayer games, that's great, what happens when someone is playing a single player game and their connection drops out? Not all games will support auto-saves. "Who gives a shit what it looks like?" People who want to know how much space it will take up.
"Yes, they do work offline, of course. But the apps platform on these systems - which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox - assumes a connection. Microsoft's new platforms are integrated conduits for online services." Lets hope the nextbox works the same way, only assuming a connection and not requiring one, because if it does only work with an internet connection, Microsoft are going to really struggle for sales and support. I'm probably going to be switching to PC gaming anyway, but it would still be sad to see Microsoft just block off a large share of the market like this (people without seamless internet connections). As for ways around it? Maybe you could be connected to a mobile network or something until your connection picks up, but they would probably charge or you would need to be on a subscription plan. I would really rather avoid that problem and I'm sure many feel the same way so Microsoft's reveal better be spectacular.
pg99 14

Postby Dave2123 » 08 Apr 2013, 17:35

I don't believe it will matter how good your connection is as long as it's there. Yes, sometimes connections go down and you might have to pause your game for a few minutes, but it's not really a big deal. Frankly, if you have such a bad connection that it drops off all the time or you don't have one at all, then i don't think you should be buying a games console. Considering that you obviously don't care about technology enough to have a semi-decent connection then that's your own fault. So, if you want a brand new console, but don't have a proper connection .............. move to the real world!!

:oops:

Sorry for being so brash. I don't think this will be a problem for Microsoft as the majority of people have connections that will support this. Also, i am aware that some people love where they live and don't want to move, but sacrifices have to be made. If i bought a Bugatti Veyron and then started complaining about fuel consumption everyone would tell me that's my own fault. Obviously this is bad for people who, for various reasons, can't move, but there are so many people online who are saying that this is a deal breaker ... if you're online able to comment on these articles, i think you'll be fine.

Yes, Microsoft will lose some customers to Sony, but then Sony may lose a few people to Microsoft, because there's no backwards compatibility on the PS4 and so some PS3 users might want to change things up and come to Xbox. Furthermore, a lot of people who buy consoles don't do the research before and so probably won't realise what always online means.

Sorry for such a long post, but, in conclusion, i think Microsoft will still generate similar sales to Sony, especially if they make the 720 backwards compatible.
Dave2123 29

Postby honkayjeezus » 08 Apr 2013, 17:52

"Check is in the mail" - Microsoft
honkayjeezus 3

Postby pg99 » 08 Apr 2013, 18:10

Dave2123 wrote:I don't believe it will matter how good your connection is as long as it's there. Yes, sometimes connections go down and you might have to pause your game for a few minutes, but it's not really a big deal. Frankly, if you have such a bad connection that it drops off all the time or you don't have one at all, then i don't think you should be buying a games console. Considering that you obviously don't care about technology enough to have a semi-decent connection then that's your own fault. So, if you want a brand new console, but don't have a proper connection .............. move to the real world!!

:oops:

Sorry for being so brash. I don't think this will be a problem for Microsoft as the majority of people have connections that will support this. Also, i am aware that some people love where they live and don't want to move, but sacrifices have to be made. If i bought a Bugatti Veyron and then started complaining about fuel consumption everyone would tell me that's my own fault. Obviously this is bad for people who, for various reasons, can't move, but there are so many people online who are saying that this is a deal breaker ... if you're online able to comment on these articles, i think you'll be fine.

Yes, Microsoft will lose some customers to Sony, but then Sony may lose a few people to Microsoft, because there's no backwards compatibility on the PS4 and so some PS3 users might want to change things up and come to Xbox. Furthermore, a lot of people who buy consoles don't do the research before and so probably won't realise what always online means.

Sorry for such a long post, but, in conclusion, i think Microsoft will still generate similar sales to Sony, especially if they make the 720 backwards compatible.

Not sure if you are talking to me with the first part but :lol: :lol:. My connection is fine, but what am I supposed to do if Virgin Media are performing maintenance for a day and I've just beat a really hard boss or have gone a while without saving? Pause my game for 24 hours? No-one would move just to get a good connection, they would buy a PS4 instead.

Bold: Why shouldn't someone buy a games console if they have a bad connection? Bad connections are often out of a consumers control depending on the area they live and it's not always a monetary issue. As for how much you care about technology being the deciding factor in how good your internet connection is, let me just call Sky. "What's that? You don't accept 'interest in technology' as a form of payment? Damn you!" (Yes I did steal that from American Dad). You weren't brash, just ignorant. Maybe it won't matter if your connection drops out as long you can establish one most of the time, it could be forgiving in that sense. But that isn't what I was talking about. It's very clear from my post that I'm only talking about the nextbox only actually functioning with an internet connection, were that to be the case. I'm not implying that I know if it will be the case or not.
pg99 14

Postby TheBobinator117 » 08 Apr 2013, 18:45

"Yes, they do work offline, of course. But the apps platform on these systems - which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox - assumes a connection. Microsoft's new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.

So basically if these rumors have some truth to them, then the 'always online' setup for the new Xbox will be the same as the Windows 8 operating system on laptops or tablets. Makes a lot more sense. My laptop still works offline so obviously the same will be implied with the Durango.
TheBobinator117 22

Postby pg99 » 08 Apr 2013, 18:51

TheBobinator117 wrote:
"Yes, they do work offline, of course. But the apps platform on these systems - which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox - assumes a connection. Microsoft's new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.

So basically if these rumors have some truth to them, then the 'always online' setup for the new Xbox will be the same as the Windows 8 operating system on laptops or tablets. Makes a lot more sense. My laptop still works offline so obviously the same will be implied with the Durango.

Let's hope. The rumours conflict but we will see if they made the right decision in may.
pg99 14

Postby project1x » 08 Apr 2013, 19:22

@Dave2123

MORON ALERT! I think your selfish logic suffers from severe tunnel vision. I live in central London and I have a fibre-optic broadband connection, good upload, good download, but that doesn't stop the connection from cutting out because - GASP! - I'm right in the middle of the city where the internet get's flogged to death. In fact, I ended up joining BT because SKY was over-subscribed in my area.

Yes, I can afford it, that doesn't stop the connection being a bit pants. And no, I will not move to another area because I DO like where I live, more than I enjoy playing COD online, so nah :P

"Frankly, if you have such a bad connection that it drops off all the time or you don't have one at all, then i don't think you should be buying a games console. "

Erm, no, cose you can still play OFF-LINE. In fact, I've mostly being playing single player games the last couple of months (Bayonetta, MGS Rising, Skyrim, Arkham City, TTT 2, Bioshock infinite...) not because of my previously mentioned unstable connection, but because I got bored of COD and Gears and wanted to play something else. I don't see why ANY single player experience MUST have a connection in order for me to play them, other then DRM reasons. Oh yeah, what happens when the servers go down or there's a fault? How will moving where I live or paying more money fix THAT problem?

"Considering that you obviously don't care about technology enough to have a semi-decent connection then that's your own fault."

Oh yes of course, pass the blame onto me for not caring enough. Perhaps you're right, maybe I don't care, maybe I'd rather go out, get drunk and meet some chicks.

"Also, i am aware that some people love where they live and don't want to move, but sacrifices have to be made"

You're preaching to the converted mate. We've already made our sacrifice: we simply won't get a Xbox 720, we'll get a PS4 instead. It's actually a lot easier then your solution of moving house :P

Oh yes, and the article is just as ignorant as Dave2123's comment. I'm not saying the Xbox will fail, just saying I'm not buying it if it's always online. It's not my fault if that upsets you.
project1x 2

Postby FishyGinger » 08 Apr 2013, 20:11

I don't think it has been a master stroke though, I think the important thing will be who releases the best info/adverts/wow factor close to release, where when the consoles come out the advertising is still heavily in peoples minds. If Sony release at christmas people aren't going to be thinking of what they saw 8,9,10 months before hand, it'll be what they saw 1 to 2 months before hand.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Drainwater » 08 Apr 2013, 23:00

Dave2123 wrote:I don't believe it will matter how good your connection is as long as it's there. Yes, sometimes connections go down and you might have to pause your game for a few minutes, but it's not really a big deal. Frankly, if you have such a bad connection that it drops off all the time or you don't have one at all, then i don't think you should be buying a games console. Considering that you obviously don't care about technology enough to have a semi-decent connection then that's your own fault. So, if you want a brand new console, but don't have a proper connection .............. move to the real world!!

I'm pretty sure what people are worried about isn't the equivalent of "lag", I think they're worried about being kicked out of the game altogether. So "pausing the game for a few minutes" wouldn't help in that situation. Also, I imagine many people who have bad connections/don't have a connection think about buying game consoles because they have bad connections/don't have a connection. And it's often not that they don't "care about technology" it's that they live in an area (which is in the real world! :shock: ) that has a poor choice of services. I live in an area with a decent choice of services, but rural tiny towns are not too far from me. I choose to live near this "fake" world because I have an excellent job with benefits that supports me and my other half. People who have jobs don't always get to choose where they live. And that's what the real world is like my friend.

As for the new console, I'll be fine with it as long as it's at least as good as steam when it comes to requiring connectivity. Once for verification and then you're fine. As I said, I have decent interwebs, but I'd hate my console to not let me do anything if they're doing maintenance or something.
Drainwater 34

Postby nickwen » 09 Apr 2013, 10:41

The reason behind this "Online DRM", permanent connecivity is simple to explain :

Game Developers and every Publisher in the world told Microsoft to either come up with a PS3 like hard-to-crack System (at least for the first 5 - 6 Years) and if that is not possible, then just make it that every console has to be online, so every gamer can unlock their purchases prior gaming.

Look bad and tell me from, honestly, WHY someone should be buying a Xbox ? To be honest with you, Microsoft has done nothing in the time frame/period since they joined the battle. They barely sold 4Mio mor console than Sony, but think about it :

Without the easy to hack aka Piracy the Xbox 360 would have been paper weight.. only Halo was their leading IP and it was a 3rd Party as well, was only time before they decided to stop doing Halo and make a diffrent game (Destiny, nomore Halo game on Xbox3, if they plan on making Destiny a truely unique expierence, 10 years of content?:P).

What microsoft did, is to f**k up few great DC IP, especially Project Gotham Racing... it went POOF! Instead you got Forza.... Horizon... I wish, PS3 was as easy to hack as the Xbox 360, i bet it would have killed the 360 longivity Life-Span by 50%.

... not a friggin game by Rare, ONE! Great deal M$... and anyone remembers what the Founder of Finaly Fantasy tried to accomplish? Yeah... it failed, even in Japan. Let me know, which IP-Game (360) deserves a 360 acquisition.. i don´t know any, maybe Halo, just maybe because i played the s--t out of Halo 1 on the PC (Multiplayer)..

Never liked the conolse-concept to beginn with, since Xbox 1 its first steps into a new world.And im not writting off the Console Xbox 3, but rather the company behind it...
nickwen 6

Postby CunningSmile » 09 Apr 2013, 11:04

nickwen wrote:The reason behind this "Online DRM", permanent connecivity is simple to explain :

Game Developers and every Publisher in the world told Microsoft to either come up with a PS3 like hard-to-crack System (at least for the first 5 - 6 Years) and if that is not possible, then just make it that every console has to be online, so every gamer can unlock their purchases prior gaming.

Look bad and tell me from, honestly, WHY someone should be buying a Xbox ? To be honest with you, Microsoft has done nothing in the time frame/period since they joined the battle. They barely sold 4Mio mor console than Sony, but think about it :

Without the easy to hack aka Piracy the Xbox 360 would have been paper weight.. only Halo was their leading IP and it was a 3rd Party as well, was only time before they decided to stop doing Halo and make a diffrent game (Destiny, nomore Halo game on Xbox3, if they plan on making Destiny a truely unique expierence, 10 years of content?:P).

What microsoft did, is to f**k up few great DC IP, especially Project Gotham Racing... it went POOF! Instead you got Forza.... Horizon... I wish, PS3 was as easy to hack as the Xbox 360, i bet it would have killed the 360 longivity Life-Span by 50%.

... not a friggin game by Rare, ONE! Great deal M$... and anyone remembers what the Founder of Finaly Fantasy tried to accomplish? Yeah... it failed, even in Japan. Let me know, which IP-Game (360) deserves a 360 acquisition.. i don´t know any, maybe Halo, just maybe because i played the s--t out of Halo 1 on the PC (Multiplayer)..

Never liked the conolse-concept to beginn with, since Xbox 1 its first steps into a new world.And im not writting off the Console Xbox 3, but rather the company behind it...

So is that a yes you'll buy one?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 09 Apr 2013, 11:14

nickwen wrote:Never liked the conolse-concept to beginn with, since xbox 1

so you decided to create an account on a site dedicated to your least favourite console - figures
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Next