to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Battlefield 4 multiplayer: seven ways DICE needs to raise it

Your comments on our articles.

Of Commander Modes and headcounts

It's nice that DICE understands where it went wrong with Battlefield 3's campaign, and it's nice that the developer intends to deliver something a tad more flexible and sympathetic with Battlefield 4. But let's face it, Battlefield single player has always been the somewhat sour and unloved cherry on a cake comprised of spongy, sugary multiplayer goodness - and with the greatest respect to the labours of game director Stefan Strandberg and his team, that'll probably continue to be the case once the developer's latest hits shelves this autumn.... read more

Battlefield 4 multiplayer: seven ways DICE needs to raise it

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Apr 2013, 18:47

DICE's vaunted terrain deformation has always been something of a conjuring trick - Frostbite lacks the muscle to support total map destruction, and even if it did, map designers wouldn't make use of it because the result would be unscientific, unappetising carnage.

Well they made use of it in BF: Bad Company 2... every map was 99% destructible save for fence pylons and special structures (oil pipeline eg). In bf3 you can destroy... trees, oh and fences. About 5 walls in total too, most in Metros 'B' place in conquest. In short; it was colossally disappointing coming from BC2s 'Under fire? Make a crater! Need a door? Make one!' approach.

I need that coming back or I wont be, I'd love 64 players too, and a slowing of pace - more health too, or less damage. I've said before about the lack of tension generated in 3, it's far too fast paced to be fun, you can't plan an assualt if you die instantly constantly.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Re: Battlefield 4 multiplayer: seven ways DICE needs to rais

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Apr 2013, 18:58

Bezza89 wrote:
DICE's vaunted terrain deformation has always been something of a conjuring trick - Frostbite lacks the muscle to support total map destruction, and even if it did, map designers wouldn't make use of it because the result would be unscientific, unappetising carnage.

Well they made use of it in BF: Bad Company 2... every map was 99% destructible save for fence pylons and special structures (oil pipeline eg). In bf3 you can destroy... trees, oh and fences. About 5 walls in total too, most in Metros 'B' place in conquest. In short; it was colossally disappointing coming from BC2s 'Under fire? Make a crater! Need a door? Make one!' approach.

I need that coming back or I wont be, I'd love 64 players too, and a slowing of pace - more health too, or less damage. I've said before about the lack of tension generated in 3, it's far too fast paced to be fun, you can't plan an assualt if you die instantly constantly.

This, is exactly my feelings. On a similar note I'd like good audio with my destruction, BF3 sounded really tinny and CoD like
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby M55A » 08 Apr 2013, 19:19

The rent-a-servers work well normally... you will always find a server to join and it allows you to play maps you actually want to play, but then predictably you will join a server where the moron host will ban all shotguns, snipers, AA launchers, M416s etc until you have about two guns you are allowed to use. Oh and you may be kicked to make room for the admins friends. This is where the whole idea fails, but these instances are luckily few and far between.
M55A 9

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Apr 2013, 19:21

rent-a-server fails for because of the word rent in it for me - having to pay for private matches is pretty sucky
Metalrodent 71

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Apr 2013, 19:41

I thought the souds were excellent in 3, I preferred BC2 again, the guns sounded meatier than a tesco burger, but in 3 it's still above every other game that isn't Bad Company. Do you use war tapes mode? Try messing about with your settings, it shakes my floor when I crack the subwoofer on, especially preparing a jet for takeoff.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Apr 2013, 20:16

Bezza89 wrote:I thought the souds were excellent in 3, I preferred BC2 again, the guns sounded meatier than a tesco burger, but in 3 it's still above every other game that isn't Bad Company. Do you use war tapes mode? Try messing about with your settings, it shakes my floor when I crack the subwoofer on, especially preparing a jet for takeoff.

Subwoofer? pft I haven't even worked out how to connect my tv/xbox to speakers, let alone bother adding a subwoofer
Metalrodent 71

Postby SkinnerChinner » 09 Apr 2013, 10:17

All good points, take note DICE! Particularly agree with 'rent-a-server' chaos & 64 player MP, only yesterday I got kicked/banned by an admin who managed to fly his jet into the dirt trying to shake me off his tail :lol: And the amount of 'custom rules' severs... :roll:
SkinnerChinner 36

Postby Dave2123 » 09 Apr 2013, 12:59

@MetalRodent

I don't think you can complain about their sound engineering if you're not taking full advantage of it. I have it set up to a decent surround system and it sounds awesome.

At the beginning of the article they said "there's obvious room for improvement on the campaign front - "don't copy COD" just about sums everything up", but i think they should take a look at COD; the campaigns in them are, in my opinion, far better including the story, lenght etc.. Also take some inspiration from BF3 multiplayer - actually let us use vehicles properly in campaign!
Dave2123 29

Postby mbass081 » 11 Apr 2013, 15:04

Force a variety of classes in teams like TF2. There is absolutely no reason a team should be filled with medics in Metro or engineers on Tehran. Speaking of medics, limit a fibrillation to one per player. Nothing more frustrating that wiping a squad and having a medic spam rez them all.
mbass081 1

Postby Johnny Neat » 30 Apr 2013, 05:25

DICE did try to welcome Call of Duty players over to BF with BF3 and it was a mixed bag without a doubt. Now for the must address issues off the bat are things like rent a server needs a complaint and rating mechanic that is monitored. They also need to allow for all maps on all modes on an official server, not this small maps only or X set up according to the preferences of DICE employees. Hardcore mode needs its damage set higher, more realistically, than what BF3 has now which is regular posing as hardcore and regular just being a come here and play especially gamers who just run around like chickens with their heads cut off blindly hopping into battle needing second chances.
Johnny Neat 1

Postby Ron_Johnson » 16 May 2013, 22:24

I for one dislike the rent a server option, They are okay for private matches. But On Battlefield 3, I didn't want a repetitive playlist of maps that last for two hours and your more than likely going to be kicked by a trolling admin before you can get a kill. I wanted a simple half an hour long, varied maps and a fair game... Where you can put some strategy in over Xbox live party. I rest my case.
Ron_Johnson 1

Postby Hollg » 04 Oct 2013, 15:51

Battlefield bad company 2 was far better than battlefield 3. You could put a hole in any wall on any building to get at the enemy. They even used it as part of the attraction. Telling gamers 'make your own point of entry'.

Battlefield 3 was disappointing with its reduced building destruction.. It took a lot of the action out of the game.
Hollg 29