Xbox 720's AMD chip equals "more games", no backwards compat

Your comments on our articles.

Choice of x86 architecture gives PC developers more power

Microsoft apparently planned to unveil the next generation Xbox this very month, but decided it could afford to hold off in light of what it considered to be an underwhelming showing by rival manufacturer Sony, sources have told Bloomberg. Also: the new machine's said to run a fancy-dan AMD chip which makes life easier for PC and mobile developers, possibly at the expense of backwards compatibility.... read more

Xbox 720's AMD chip equals "more games", no backwards compat

Postby BIGBUTTER » 09 Apr 2013, 10:28

The New Xbox needs to have Backwards compatibility
BIGBUTTER 23

Re: Xbox 720's AMD chip equals "more games", no backwards co

Postby CunningSmile » 09 Apr 2013, 11:07

BIGBUTTER wrote:The New Xbox needs to have Backwards compatibility

Why? No one is taking my 360 away so I've still got that to play 360 games and frankly I can't remember the last time I used the BC on my 360. It's a feature that everyone seems to be referring to as a deal breaker but I've yet to hear one good reason why.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby SkinnerChinner » 09 Apr 2013, 11:22

BIGBUTTER wrote:The New Xbox needs to have Backwards compatibility

Why not just keep your 360? Your hardly going to get much £££ for it when the NextBox/Gertrude launches? Backwards compatability is a nice extra, but I wouldn't call it essential...particularly at the expense of NextBox functionality.
SkinnerChinner 36

Postby Xu En » 09 Apr 2013, 11:37

I'm assuming the "xbox stingray" isn't the $99 xbox we already have (the one with 2 year Xbox Live Gold Membership at $14.99 per month - total cost $458.76 - stingy!) but a completely new one - wonder if it has a DVD drive or not - maybe download only?? - but then it would need a HDD - more cost - - maybe not then

How about a 32nm chipset, and a new box (hopefully classier than the latest PS3 version) I haven't got a clue.

Don't want or need backwards compatability, don't want to have the cost of kinect2 factored into the selling price either.
Xu En 18

Postby Ozzpot » 09 Apr 2013, 12:00

I won't mourn the loss of backwards compatibility either. I still have dozens of old Xbox games, but don't think I have ever played any of them on my 360 in 7.5 years.

I imagine that may be a little different in this case because I have over 250 games on 360 and there are achievements I will still want to get. But even if that is the case, no-one is going to take away my 360 when I buy the new one, I won't trade it in because I don't do that, even if I did it wouldn't be worth much. So I'll just keep it. And if it breaks one day, I'll buy the "stingray".

So what's the problem? Surely making it easier for developers to produce top-quality games and reduce development time and costs into the bargain is far more important?
Ozzpot 3

Postby Metalrodent » 09 Apr 2013, 12:35

MasterChiefJ117 wrote:Suppose Nintendo knows how to keep it's customers happy ! :wink:

I can't play my Gamecube games on the WiiU, so its a no from me :wink:
not that I can anyway, memory cards all full up lol
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby ABitOfACock » 09 Apr 2013, 12:53

*makes confused face*...

my new xbox will contain a jaguar ??? but if I don't like jaguars I can get a stingray ???

oh...

do you think they'll be releasing a version with a shark in it ???
i like sharks... they're cool...

or even a bear... I'd settle for a bear... not one of those little soft ones your wife buys you for Christmas with the hearts and the "I love you" balloons and shit... a real one... one with teeth a claws and massive hands and angry eyes...

stingrays suck and jaguars spend all day asleep in a tree...

come on Microsoft... we want better animals... or at least angrier ones... with bigger teeth...
ABitOfACock 21

Postby joeyraccoon » 09 Apr 2013, 13:07

Logged me out for 'my' security . . . lost my well written and thought out post.
Bye . . . :x
joeyraccoon 11

Postby OXM ETboy » 09 Apr 2013, 13:10

Seems legit.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby ABitOfACock » 09 Apr 2013, 13:16

joeyraccoon wrote:Logged me out for 'my' security . . . lost my well written and thought out post.
Bye . . . :x

I find the cure for that is either to log back in and re post it... or put bugger all effort into your posts in the first place... that way it doesn't really matter that nobody notices or cares about your opinion...
ABitOfACock 21

Postby FishyGinger » 09 Apr 2013, 14:08

ABitOfACock wrote:*makes confused face*...

my new xbox will contain a jaguar ??? but if I don't like jaguars I can get a stingray ???

oh...

or even a bear... I'd settle for a bear... not one of those little soft ones your wife buys you for Christmas with the hearts and the "I love you" balloons and shit... a real one... one with teeth a claws and massive hands and angry eyes...

come on Microsoft... we want better animals... or at least angrier ones... with bigger teeth...

I would say I like you, you're thrice as random as I yet half as ginger but twice as full of Bifidus Digestivum. Only my ladyfriend would have an issue if I said I liked ABitOfACock.

Backwards compatibility schmackwards schomschmatibility. It'd be nice but who cares all that much. Play xbox 360 games on a 360 up until you've finished them all, then gets the new console. As a wise man once said "The cat is fain the fish to eat, but hath no will to wet her feet".

Says it all really.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby squirrelofDoom » 09 Apr 2013, 14:21

Jaguars? Stingrays?

What is this? Am I gonna have to buy some hay bedding and a subscription "pets at home" with my new Xbox. Or maybe jaguars is a new physical security system. Genius!
squirrelofDoom 26

Postby ABitOfACock » 09 Apr 2013, 14:27

FishyGinger wrote:
ABitOfACock wrote:*makes confused face*...

oh...

I would say I like you, you're thrice as random as I yet half as ginger but twice as full of Bifidus Digestivum. Only my ladyfriend would have an issue if I said I liked ABitOfACock.

Backwards compatibility schmackwards schomschmatibility. It'd be nice but who cares all that much. Play xbox 360 games on a 360 up until you've finished them all, then gets the new console. As a wise man once said "The cat is fain the fish to eat, but hath no will to wet her feet".

Says it all really.

indeed... I think...

incidentally, I won't tell your wife if you don't... it can be our little secret...

it's at this point that I'd also like to request a "nohomo" emoticon... you know, one with a beard, like that miserable sounding log dude...
ABitOfACock 21

Postby SilentDark » 09 Apr 2013, 14:31

NO!!!!!!! MUST HAVE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY!!!! GRRRRRRRAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Seriously though (and that seems to be my catchphrase on this board at least), the people complaining about this the most are probably going to trade in their 360 to get some special deal on the next box (and if they seriously go with the 720 moniker I'll give it a pass, 360 didn't make sense, 720 will make less sense) and so want it to play their old library of games (well that or they think having two consoles under the telly will mess up their feng shui, or something) this is something that started with the PS2 (Well okay GBA if you want to get nitpicky) but really most consoles before and since haven't done it, in fact it seems only the Way of Heavenly Duty are bothering to continue this trend over from the Wii.

Both the PS3 and 360 made a token effort to give customers backwards compatibility before abandoning it entirely and why not. Shouldn't a console stand on the strength of it's own library rather than the strength of its predecessor?
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby Jabraham » 09 Apr 2013, 15:24

I kind f need the backward compatibility since i still have the first xbox we've been through some hard time are ups and downs and now she just seems to get angry at me, i mean anytime i want to open her i have to jam a fork in her
Jabraham 35

Next