to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

First 15 Batman: Arkham Origins screenshots arrive - Bats, B

Your comments on our articles.

Also: pre-Penguin Cobblepot, new environments

The first Batman: Arkham Origin screenshots are here, care of Game Informer, care of All Games Beta's roving fingers. If you can't call a morning complete without staring into Bruce Wayne's crotch as he kicks some ne'er-do-well in the chops, scroll down.... read more

First 15 Batman: Arkham Origins screenshots arrive - Bats, B

Postby golliwoza » 10 Apr 2013, 10:22

*drools all over the floor*

Yes great to know we have Black Mask in it, I was really hoping for a confrontation with him in Arkham City, sure looks like he will have a greater role in this. All I would like now is Firefly to be in the game along with maybe Killer Moth? Would be cool to have some chases with those two across the Gotham rooftops.

Edit: Seeing as it is a prequel story maybe a pre Two-Face Harvey Dent too? Could show how he turns from Batman's ally to one of his villains?
Last edited by golliwoza on 10 Apr 2013, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
Where we are going we wont need eyes to see.
golliwoza 56

Re: First 15 Batman: Arkham Origins screenshots arrive - Bat

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Apr 2013, 10:32

Possible gang war between Black Mask and Penguin, with Batman caught in the middle? Possibly even Bat's having his very first night on the job as a result of that war?

Either way looks cool, and fingers crossed the new studio can keep up the standard set by Rocksteady.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 10 Apr 2013, 10:34

I don't know who any of these characters are :oops:
(well obviously Batty himself and Penguin)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 10 Apr 2013, 10:35

Loving the Christmas setting, reminds me of Batman Returns which is still one of my favourites.
The thug character models look like slightly modified version of the thug character models from Arkham city, but I doubt Ill care when Im pounding them into the ground.

Maybe Bats will make use of the Utility Belt in this game. In AC he said he had one but it slowed him down. Also would like to see prototype versions of his gadgets in a bulkier form before he streamlined the design.

Would also really like to see the inception of things Rocksteady had already established like Recruiting Dick Grayson, Possible first meeting with the Joker (Get feeling it might be done in a similar way as Batman year one though)
Pursuing Selina Kyle through the City across rooftops after she evades Bats during a Burglary.

There so many opportunities with a prequel game like this, Im excited.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby Bezza89 » 10 Apr 2013, 10:36

They've set it in the world of Arkham City again? Hmm. These look more like concept art not screenshots too. I'll be picking this up for sure, hopefully it's a next gen title too. I'm still wary of it though, I didn't like Arkham Citys city compared to the asylum, it was a bit boring in comparison (if I'm honest, I mean the game is still great and all that), making it before it turns into a prison might be interesting but I'd like to see people in the area too, not just bad guys. And making the map twice as big? I thought it was a bit too big in the enjoyment/size ratio in AC, hopefully they don't go overboard with Riddler shi... quests.

I am looking forward to it though, I'm just voicing concerns.

*After Arrow tv series and B:ACs playable catwoman and robin, how about some Green Arrow or other friendly DC characters turning up? Not Clark Kent though.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Apr 2013, 11:18

Metalrodent wrote:I don't know who any of these characters are :oops:

There's only two others you might have recognised.

The guy in the white suit and skull mask is Black Mask aka Roman Sionis. Former rich kid and friend of young Bruce Wayne who becomes a major crime lord. He wears a mask made from the wood of his dads coffin, and following a fire it ends up fused to his face. Joker was hanging out in his factory in Arkham City, and there were a lot of references to Black Mask being the only person to escape from Arkham City.

The guy in the funky armour and two tone mask is Deathstroke aka Slade Wilson. Worlds greatest assassin, expert with all known weapons and one of the few people to ever beat Batman hand to hand (he took out the whole JLA at one point as well) He's got some weird explanation in the comics about using 100% of his brain whilst everyone else only uses 10%, but basically he's really smart, really fast and really dangerous. And Aoife apparently has a crush on him. (as a weird side note he was created by the same person and at the same time as Deadpool aka Wade Wilson, and originally they had almost identical costumes. Is it any wonder Marvel and DC spend a big chunk of time trying to sue each other for copywrite infringement?)
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM Aoife » 10 Apr 2013, 11:27

CunningSmile wrote:

There's only two others you might have recognised.

The guy in the white suit and skull mask is Black Mask aka Roman Sionis. Former rich kid and friend of young Bruce Wayne who becomes a major crime lord. He wears a mask made from the wood of his dads coffin, and following a fire it ends up fused to his face. Joker was hanging out in his factory in Arkham City, and there were a lot of references to Black Mask being the only person to escape from Arkham City.

The guy in the funky armour and two tone mask is Deathstroke aka Slade Wilson. Worlds greatest assassin, expert with all known weapons and one of the few people to ever beat Batman hand to hand (he took out the whole JLA at one point as well) He's got some weird explanation in the comics about using 100% of his brain whilst everyone else only uses 10%, but basically he's really smart, really fast and really dangerous. And Aoife apparently has a crush on him. (as a weird side note he was created by the same person and at the same time as Deadpool aka Wade Wilson, and originally they had almost identical costumes. Is it any wonder Marvel and DC spend a big chunk of time trying to sue each other for copywrite infringement?)

Ha! I can neither confirm nor deny accusations of crushes on fictional assassins. There's one other known character in there, but he looks quite different to his comic book incarnation so I don't think he could be described as recognisable. Alberto Falcone, weedy son of Carmine, appears in The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, and is seen in one of the screens being tortured by Peguin (who doesn't appear to have had a bottle shoved in his face yet). Wonder if the ubiquitous Nolan North will return to lend his distinctive attempt at a cockney accent again...
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Apr 2013, 11:35

Was that Alberto Falcone all tied up? As you say he looks a bit different and I wouldn't have recognised him. Wonder if we'll get him as just the son of a mob boss, or are we going to get the Holiday side of him as well?

And if Nolan North isn't around to lend his cockney charm I'm sure Dick Van Dyke can be pursuaded to do his (actually slightly better) version :lol:
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby richwk » 10 Apr 2013, 11:51

If it doesn't have Kite Man and Polka Dot Man as villains, I'm out.
richwk 30

Postby Plamsa wing » 10 Apr 2013, 13:59

That's the question of the day, is there anything that Nolan f***ing North isn't in?

Nice to see Black Mask is in it, though I must remember not to think of The Mask every time I see him.

CunningSmile wrote:And Aoife apparently has a crush on him.

It's only a small Mitch like obsession, it's not like shes built a little shrine. :wink:
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby FishyGinger » 10 Apr 2013, 14:40

What the Dickens are you all talking about? Evil Mothman, Polka Dot man? Are these not characters from the Tick or something else, they're clearly mental.

At this rate I expect Earthworm Jim and Powdered Toast Man to make an appearance.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby RetroDad » 10 Apr 2013, 15:02

Well, you'd know a tad more about the Batman universe if you just kinda....

PLAYED THE TWO FRICKING GAMES YOU OWN COLLECTING DUST!

Bezza89 wrote:I thought it was a bit too big in the enjoyment/size ratio in AC, hopefully they don't go overboard with Riddler shi... quests.

Yep, Riddler puzzles and quests either need to be toned down or just jog on altogether. Having an even bigger playing environment could affect how cohesive the story is as well. Gotta love some more Bats though, bring it on.
I'll state what I want to state in whatever state I happen to be in!
RetroDad 35

Postby Bezza89 » 10 Apr 2013, 21:12

OXM Aoife wrote:Ha! I can neither confirm nor deny accusations of crushes on fictional assassins.

Some people, man, have a crush on Ken Levine, so don't be embarrassed. Oh actually it's me.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby Drainwater » 10 Apr 2013, 22:28

CunningSmile wrote:*detailed Deathstroke explanation*

You can boil that down to "Evil version of Batman who uses lethal weapons/tactics" and have it pretty much right. And I'll admit, I had a non-sexual fanboy crush on him when I read the comics back in the day. Watching him tear apart Justice Leaguers who were obviously more powerful than him was just spectacular.
Drainwater 35

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Apr 2013, 10:06

Drainwater wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:*detailed Deathstroke explanation*

You can boil that down to "Evil version of Batman who uses lethal weapons/tactics" and have it pretty much right. And I'll admit, I had a non-sexual fanboy crush on him when I read the comics back in the day. Watching him tear apart Justice Leaguers who were obviously more powerful than him was just spectacular.

Plus you've got to love a guy in an eye patch :lol:
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Next