to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Batman Arkham Origins plot and gameplay details surface - Ba

Your comments on our articles.

Combat is a mix of old and new

Safe to say, I am more than a little bit excited for the newly announced Batman Arkham Origins.... read more

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 10 Apr 2013, 11:08

So basically half the game is set in Arkham City before it became dilapidated and turned into a prison...hmmmmm. It needs to be nearly unrecognisable from AC to ensure we don't feel like we are playing a rehash of the same environment. The screens so far look very similar if not identical to the Subway area from AC, which lets face it was nothing like a city. Arkham Village is a more apt name :lol:

Gotham Citizens should be present and terrorized by Black Masks and Penguins Thugs. One thing the Batman games need is the ability to save a citizen with them completely oblivious to Batman's Presence. Remember all the dialog from the thugs in AC. Maybe in Origins you will be able overhear Citizen dialog, discussing the rumours of a giant bat/ dark shadow saving people.

Helping out with random events sounds interesting but in Batman's early days the GCPD weren't exactly thrilled to see him. WB Montreal should incorporate this into these events. Would really love it if car chases were some of the events, where Batman glides onto speeding cars and has to punch his way through the windscreen to pull the thugs out of the car and leave them for the police.

Ill resist the urge to continue...I think my Batgasm has reached its peak :lol:
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby golliwoza » 10 Apr 2013, 11:27

Challenge Mode will be included "in one form."

Does this mean no more campaigns? If so then I am very relieved at this feature, I have been through most of them three times over in City and the restrictions were a bit infuriating.

I really like the sound of the detective work in Origins. In Arkham City it was really underused, most of the time all you did was detect a punch in the face. It sounds a lot more in depth too, this is one of the features I am really looking forward too.

The random events sound sort of like the ones in the most recent Spidey game, I just hope that they can be a bit more varied and unique in comparison because they did get a bit tiring in Spidey.

Looking forward to this greatly!! :D
Last edited by golliwoza on 10 Apr 2013, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Where we are going we wont need eyes to see.
golliwoza 56

Re: Batman Arkham Origins plot and gameplay details surface

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Apr 2013, 11:30

All sounds good so far, but if they are having a game space that big they really need to fill it with enough stuff to make it worth while. AC sometimes felt a little empty of anything worthy of note and hopefully even if Origins is set in the middle of the night there'll be some civilians about to make sticking to the roof tops important rather than walking down the street.

Also glad about the detective mode returning and hopefully being more used. Bats is after all the worlds greatest detective, and in a Gotham that still works hopefully there will be a few more regular crimes than in a giant prison.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 10 Apr 2013, 12:22

Okay I'm going to be slightly pedantic on this one. I hate prequels anyway, there is no inherent drama in visiting the past.

The new gadget, the "remote claw", why wasn't this in the previous two games, this is the problem with a narative that goes backwards but still gives you new toys to play with. I could think of several points where this could have been useful especially in Arkham City but he doesn't have it, and no explination short of "it gets destroyed in game"....actually scratch that, he has near limitless resources to play with, so why does he not use them to rebuild it if that is the case. I know I'm nitpicking but I'm really annoyed that I'm going to have to wait even longer for any of those sequel hooks in City to be resolved.

I hope Rocksteady is at work on the true sequel and I can just safely ignore this one.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 67

Postby OXM Aoife » 10 Apr 2013, 12:31

SilentDark wrote:Okay I'm going to be slightly pedantic on this one. I hate prequels anyway, there is no inherent drama in visiting the past.

The new gadget, the "remote claw", why wasn't this in the previous two games, this is the problem with a narative that goes backwards but still gives you new toys to play with. I could think of several points where this could have been useful especially in Arkham City but he doesn't have it, and no explination short of "it gets destroyed in game"....actually scratch that, he has near limitless resources to play with, so why does he not use them to rebuild it if that is the case. I know I'm nitpicking but I'm really annoyed that I'm going to have to wait even longer for any of those sequel hooks in City to be resolved.

I hope Rocksteady is at work on the true sequel and I can just safely ignore this one.

Maybe Alfred got a bit carried away during a spring clean of the Bat Cave and tided away the blueprints?
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby SilentDark » 10 Apr 2013, 12:43

That.....almost makes sense. Still a guy as crazy prepared as Batman would probably have copies or backups.

If Kevin Conroy comes back I'll be obliged to pick it up, he is my Batman.

I would love it if other characters were made playable, even if only in their own side campaigns like the Catwoman missions or the Robin levels in Harley Quinn's revenge. Batgirl or Huntress perhaps? Maybe leading into a Bird's of Prey spinoff?
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 67

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Apr 2013, 13:13

SilentDark wrote:Okay I'm going to be slightly pedantic on this one. I hate prequels anyway, there is no inherent drama in visiting the past.

I can see your point, but surely there is a lack of tension with a 80 year old series anyway? We know nothing will happen to Batman cos his names on all the merchandise.

Plus if I never wanted to revisit this particular characters past I'd never have read Batman Year One, one of the best comics ever written.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 11 Apr 2013, 13:46

Well apart from that time he died and Dick took over.

My thing is that since stuff is set in stone with prequels nothing can really happen that surprises you. Penguin will survive, so will Bats, Dick, Tim, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Mr Freeze, Joker etc. Hush won't be turning up (or if he does Batman will never become aware of his existence)

I'm also really annoyed that the sequel hooks aren't going anywhere. I really wanted to find out who was responsible for those cryptic messages, if anything would come of the Hush thing but these answers are going on the back burner for now, goddamnit I need to know these things!
SilentDark 67

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Apr 2013, 14:04

SilentDark wrote:I'm also really annoyed that the sequel hooks aren't going anywhere. I really wanted to find out who was responsible for those cryptic messages, if anything would come of the Hush thing but these answers are going on the back burner for now, goddamnit I need to know these things!

I'm willing to bet real money that this is just to tide us over while Rocksteady are making Arkham 3 and tying up those plot hooks. WB have made a lot of noise recently that they want to be big players in gaming in the future (and bought Rocksteady as part of that) so it makes sense to have their biggest comic character in a game during the Gertrude/PS4 launch window even if that means taking a side step from the main Arkham plot.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator