to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bethesda: day-one DLC complaints stem from lack of knowledge

Your comments on our articles.

But "the customers have the decision to buy or not to buy as they see fit"

Everyone can have an opinion, but not every opinion is an informed one - so says Bethesda vice president Peter Hines, as regards the controversial business of day-one DLC. Speaking to us during the latest OXM Podcast, Hines commented that while Bethesda's add-on packs tend to arrive somewhat later, he can understand why other companies ship their digital offerings at launch, and thinks particularly vocal gamers should give developers a break.... read more

Postby Metalrodent » 10 Apr 2013, 11:44

so he thinks it's not ok for us to complain that having just paid £35-50 for a new game we then get home to find content already finished that they didn't include in the game and want us to pay extra for?
That said, he probably earns so much he wouldn't think twice about throwing an extra £10+ at something right after purchase

[edit: yes i wrote this before reading the article fully, but the point is still sorta valid and i cba to rewrite it]
Last edited by Metalrodent on 10 Apr 2013, 12:03, edited 2 times in total.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Little3vil » 10 Apr 2013, 11:53

@Metalrodent
If you read the article they explain WHY it's finished. Because they stop developing well before the release. In the mean time the creative team continues to make content which doesn't make it on the disc.That is a reasonable explanation why there is Day One DLC, and I can live with that kind of DLC. It's EXTRA content.

What I CAN'T live with is Day One DLC which is ON the disc. You just unlock the content by paying extra. And there are a lot of developers that release DLC like that. In that case I agree with Metalrodent. That's just stripping down the game to the basics and make customers pay extra to get the full experience.
Little3vil 2

Re: Bethesda: day-one DLC complaints stem from lack of knowl

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Apr 2013, 11:56

I agree with him entirely, and it's something a fair few of us on these foruums often argue when the Day One debate comes up. Are the unscrupulous companies carving chunks out their games to release day one DLC? Some may argue but personally I doubt it (apart from Capcom). Are there creative types sat around for months between going gold and actual release? Unargueably. Does it make sense to get those guys working on something rather than pay them to surf the net? Of course

At the end of the day if you don't like Day One DLC don't buy it, but it will still exist and would you realy be happier if the devs waited a week before releasing it for no other reason than so internet trollz don't complain?
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Emanuele » 10 Apr 2013, 12:03

You should just publish the podcast's transcript instead of fragmenting it in many stories..

Thanks
Emanuele 1

Postby BiDDY THE RiVER » 10 Apr 2013, 12:09

I believe if you've bought the game brand new you should get the full game, therefore you should be entitled to free DLC. The makers of Left 4 Dead tried doing it which left Microsoft pretty peeved, so they had to charge for the following one, which wasn't their intentions.
BiDDY THE RiVER 32

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Apr 2013, 12:10

BiDDY THE RiVER wrote:I believe if you've bought the game brand new you should get the full game, therefore you should be entitled to free DLC. The makers of Left 4 Dead tried doing it which left Microsoft pretty peeved, so they had to charge for the following one, which wasn't their intentions.

Define full game? At what point do you ever get less than is on the box? DLC is extra to what you buy in the box so why should it be included free of charge?
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 10 Apr 2013, 12:15

I agree to a point I suppose, but day one DLC will always look like a cynical way to cash in on customers who have already dropped a significant investment on the game. That said to my mind any DLC that is on the disc is in the strictest sense of the word not DLC at all and shouldn't be charged for (heck it shouldn't even be locked away, just bloody enable it from the start) it's can also be seen to be a way to get people to pony up the extra cash for the Super Special Awesome edition which generally contains download codes for such things, as if the statue/t-shirt/gold bar isn't enough.

So for me, I don't like it but if you must do it, charge everyone for it not just the people who can't afford 80 squid for the SSA edition.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby OXM ETboy » 10 Apr 2013, 12:21

I've added a couple of other bits and pieces from the podcast to contextualise Peter's comments, just so you all know - article feels imbalanced without them. Entirely my fault - original choice of quotes was mine, not Aoife's.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby BiDDY THE RiVER » 10 Apr 2013, 12:31

CunningSmile wrote:
BiDDY THE RiVER wrote:I believe if you've bought the game brand new you should get the full game, therefore you should be entitled to free DLC. The makers of Left 4 Dead tried doing it which left Microsoft pretty peeved, so they had to charge for the following one, which wasn't their intentions.

Define full game? At what point do you ever get less than is on the box? DLC is extra to what you buy in the box so why should it be included free of charge?

I never said you don't get what's on the box, hell I'm not even complaining about day-one DLC that is stated in the article, I am just stating that DLC is basically an update on previous content that you've already purchased. So I think it should be free, It's just an opinion.
BiDDY THE RiVER 32

Postby SkinnerChinner » 10 Apr 2013, 13:05

Personally, I don't have an issue with the day one release date, what concerns me (and I think, is the real complaint) is the quality of said content. Would people be complaining if the likes of Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues was avaialble day one?
Last edited by SkinnerChinner on 10 Apr 2013, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
SkinnerChinner 36

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Apr 2013, 13:09

BiDDY THE RiVER wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:Define full game? At what point do you ever get less than is on the box? DLC is extra to what you buy in the box so why should it be included free of charge?

I never said you don't get what's on the box, hell I'm not even complaining about day-one DLC that is stated in the article, I am just stating that DLC is basically an update on previous content that you've already purchased. So I think it should be free, It's just an opinion.

Please don't think I'm having a go, if nothing else I love your little ident picture.

However just because something is an update I don't think it should be included. A year after I bought my car they started to include an iPod jack I would have found really useful. Should I have been able to get my dashboard changed? After all it was an update to what I already purchased.

There is also the often overlooked fact that MS and Sony charge developers to release DLC. If they then had to give it away free they'd just stop making it and some of our favorite games would have their life spans cut dramatically.
Last edited by CunningSmile on 10 Apr 2013, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 10 Apr 2013, 14:34

CunningSmile wrote:Please don't think I'm having a go, if nothing else I love your little ident picture.

However just because something is an update I don't think it should be included. A year after I bought my car they started to include an iPod jack I would have found really useful. Should I have been able to get my dashboard canged? After all it was an update to what I already purchased.

There is also the often overlooked fact that MS and Sony charge developers to release DLC. If they then had to give it away free they'd just stop making it and some of our favorite games would have their life spans cut dramatically.

Apart from starting to get my blood boiling (which is admittedly difficult, I'm a calm cat) by car references I completely agree. This thought that we're owed something baffles me greatly. They advertise what they're selling and you buy based on that. If you don't want to spend the starting asking price as you know more content will be added, don't. Complete versions come out later and prices reduce and what have you.

And Mr Rodent I assumed you meant content locked on the disc which I don't agree with. If it is made in time for the printing of the discs then locked behind a 'dlc' download key that is wrong. In my opinion of course. But then I don't tend to give out other peoples opinions as that would be giraffed.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Apr 2013, 14:52

I know, I don't like car comparisons either but in this one case they actually fit well as the car industry is a good example of an industry that releases regular small add ons and adjustments to their range.

If someone had used that comparison to talk about pre-owned however I'd be right next to you on the blood boiler...
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby ProjectPurity » 10 Apr 2013, 15:48

Really enjoyed this interview, thought he did a really good job representing Bethesda. Looking forward to more Skyrim dlc and hopefully Fallout 4 this year on 360!
ProjectPurity 1

Postby M55A » 10 Apr 2013, 18:39

Surely when looking at day-one dlc you should consider the nature of the dlc. For example if Dawnguard was a day-one dlc then you would be right in complaining, it is a lasy addition to the game that adds very little. However if Dragonborn was first-day then it shouldn't, in my opinion, be considered controversial as it adds an entirely new area and story to the game, completely seperate from the core game.

Really these dlcs should be judged on their content and not the view that the developers are trying to cheat you out of money. Oh and then there is the fact that they are entirely optional, no one is forcing you to buy them.
M55A 9

Next