to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ubisoft producer: free-to-play will "hit it big" on next gen

Your comments on our articles.

"F2P games have done a great job of disrupting other platforms," says Spartacus dev

Speaking to OXM as part of a wondrous feature on free-to-play, published in our very next, scintillating issue, Spartacus Legends producer Josh Mast has claimed that the business model is going from strength to strength, and will play a significant role on next generation consoles. Spartacus Legends, in case you hadn't sussed, is a free-to-play brawler due out later this year.... read more

Ubisoft producer: free-to-play will "hit it big" on next gen

Postby Thos. » 10 Apr 2013, 16:52

Free to play works on mobile phones, because rather than play £1.50 up front, people download the game for nothing, then spend 25p here and there, until they end up paying the same, or more than they would have done to buy it.

That works for small, cheap games.

Very few people will download a high budget console game for free and then spend £30 to £40 on micro-transactions. There is simply no way these games are going to make as much money for the publisher as a single cost up front. Maybe one or two will pull it off, but the odds are stacked massively against them - similar to the way everyone is desperate to make a new World of Warcraft, and subsequently bringing down their whole company in the attempt.
Thos. 46

Re: Ubisoft producer: free-to-play will "hit it big" on next

Postby FishyGinger » 10 Apr 2013, 17:07

Thos. wrote:Free to play works on mobile phones, because rather than play £1.50 up front, people download the game for nothing, then spend 25p here and there, until they end up paying the same, or more than they would have done to buy it.

That works for small, cheap games.

Very few people will download a high budget console game for free and then spend £30 to £40 on micro-transactions. There is simply no way these games are going to make as much money for the publisher as a single cost up front. Maybe one or two will pull it off, but the odds are stacked massively against them - similar to the way everyone is desperate to make a new World of Warcraft, and subsequently bringing down their whole company in the attempt.

On the other side though many many more people will play them because the entry fee isn't a fee at all, so they don't need to get as much as 30-40 off everyone if more people make smaller payments.

But I can't see it becoming that mainstream either so will be interesting to see what actually happens.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Re: Ubisoft producer: free-to-play will "hit it big" on next

Postby Spiderless » 10 Apr 2013, 17:21

The problem with free-to-play is that it serves no other agenda than money, that is what is designed for, it has no other use. I cannot think of an example where a game has been improved by micro-transactions.
I'm all for smaller games for a lower price, but not a false lure of 'free' to then have enjoyment hampered by constant tiny hits to my wallet.

Edit: "example where a game has been improved by micro-transactions" - I suppose Team Fortress 2 arguably improved with the move to FTP, but Valve also actively encouraged the community to make their own weapons/hats and submit those (they could then earn money from them, some people made $10,000s). It became a new addition to an old and probably, at the time, no-longer-profitable game.
Spiderless 25