to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

The Defiance problem: five ways to make console MMOs a succe

Your comments on our articles.

Ed shares his thoughts after a little time with Trion's creation

I always thought the first "proper" MMO I'd ever play would be EVE Online - an anarchic, cosmic sprawl of jostling interstellar freebooters, mining companies, loose alliances and actual, publicly traded corporations that's given us no end of fascinating anecdotes. As it turns out, the MMO I eventually fell in with was Trion Worlds' MMO shooter Defiance, released last week to less-than-deafening reviewer response.... read more

The Defiance problem: five ways to make console MMOs a succe

Postby Grummy » 10 Apr 2013, 19:50

Having not played it yet, I can't comment too much, but I think this games one true strength will also be its one true weakness, it will live and die by how popular the TV show will be. One point you raise is that its fiction needs to be interesting, I can see that the game along won't quite tick this box, but alongside the TV show? It could well be an entirely different scenario, the TV show could (and I should imagine will) make the game far more interesting.

It's an awkward one, no question about it. Whilst it is an MMO and needs to be judged as such (you can't judge it fairly when looking at it as a normal game), it is also unique in that it's not just based on a TV show, it needs the TV show running concurrently to give players some context. It's an interesting idea, whether it works is a different matter.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Re: The Defiance problem: five ways to make console MMOs a s

Postby OXM ETboy » 10 Apr 2013, 20:09

Good point. I haven't heard anything all that positive about the TV show, but I guess we'll see...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SidTheSloth » 10 Apr 2013, 20:11

Good article Ed, very constructive as opposed to some of the other stuff i've read...

I think maybe one of the biggest failings based on what you've said and from what i've seen is maybe launching this on the 360 (although is it a failing when so many seem to be enjoying it? Perhaps they'd then enjoy it even more on next gen? Did they avoid next gen so they didn't go tot-to-toe with Destiny? I doubt the last one but it would have been interesting, especially as Bungee/Acti have pedigree.)? I applaud their ambition, and to get it working at all is admirable but when concessions are necessary for MMO's on a PC, then lord only knows what they had to shed to get it up and running with the 360's comparably teeny specs. The few vids i'd seen were all PC ones until today, and in each the guy commentating had mentioned some of the points you have, but they all said the combat was quite fun without coming top of the class. If that's not the case on th'old 360 then it's clear somethings different between the ports and maybe waiting could have reaped the benefits - especially if there's not too many other games at 720 launch etc?

Maybe it will still launch on 720, see no reason with an MMO why you wouldn't be able to transfer your save too but now i'm chucking theories around with foundations made of sand...

I'm intrigued by the TV/Game tie in too and how well it can work. We know that TV tie-ins are usually terrible, but what we also know is that they still usually sell anyway as fans overlook (sometimes incredible) flaws just to get a 'fix' of their favourite show. From what i've read, big events in the show will be recreated in the game and that's got some incredibly awesome potential. As Grummy says though, whether it works or not we'll see...
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Insaneyokel » 10 Apr 2013, 20:16

Am going to reserve judgement until there is some more hands on info from Ed and the others on here. I don't know about you guys but I am a little more careful when purchasing games at the moment
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby johnrambo1973 » 10 Apr 2013, 20:54

I have been playing this game since day one. I picked it up early and had to wait for the servers to open.

I really like it sometimes i play story missions on my own, sometimes i choose to play deathmatch or co-op missions. The more you play the game the more co-op missions open up.

I think the review in this magazine is very unfair. The world the game is based in has been destroyed so it will not look like a nice place.

There is no voice chat unless in a group but when there are 70 plus players taking down a boss can you imagine the noise. I would recommend this game. It's a bit like Borderlands but not as good looking but this is down to it being an MMO.

I would give it 8/10 due to the fact the menu system is not very good.
johnrambo1973 8

Postby fracturedrich » 10 Apr 2013, 22:17

johnrambo1973 wrote:I have been playing this game since day one. I picked it up early and had to wait for the servers to open.

I really like it sometimes i play story missions on my own, sometimes i choose to play deathmatch or co-op missions. The more you play the game the more co-op missions open up.

I think the review in this magazine is very unfair. The world the game is based in has been destroyed so it will not look like a nice place.

There is no voice chat unless in a group but when there are 70 plus players taking down a boss can you imagine the noise. I would recommend this game. It's a bit like Borderlands but not as good looking but this is down to it being an MMO.

I would give it 8/10 due to the fact the menu system is not very good.

I also think the review was unfair comparing it to full blown shooters you are always going to come up short as we dont have anything to compare it to.That being said i also have been putting in the hard yards since launch and i would say it is a good game with lots going on.Everyone ive met in the game have put some serious time in so it cant be that bad.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Drainwater » 10 Apr 2013, 22:19

The five ways you point out to make console MMOs a success are actually 5 problems that plague many of the PC MMOs. I've gotten pulled in to more than one (to my shame) and the flaws you point out in this article are really par for the course. Although I would expect a bit more immersion from an FPS style though.
Drainwater 35

Postby Grummy » 11 Apr 2013, 01:46

OXM ETboy wrote:Good point. I haven't heard anything all that positive about the TV show, but I guess we'll see...

Nobody has, it doesn't premier for another 5 days, and even then it will take a few weeks for the show to really start fleshing out and for people to start getting some idea of where it is heading.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby leif » 11 Apr 2013, 14:48

I don't think the story as it is can compare with any traditional single player game, but that doesn't mean the game's not enjoyable. Maybe it should have launched after the show to give people some reference point to start from.

I'm essentially playing it the way I played the red dead redemption multiplayer component, which is the closest thing I can compare it to. I've not had chance to experience the coop missions yet which are supposed to be more linear but It has got a massive map with few breaks in play, and loading screens only appear when you fast travel.

Sticking with the RDR comparison don't forget your mount basically spawned into existance on that too, all be it a distance away and it would then run up to you.
leif 2

Postby fracturedrich » 11 Apr 2013, 21:33

After spending many hours in game i have come to be very fond of its plus sides.It was a good idea to release before the show, as episode 1 mission is only available until monday when the tv show airs.The reason for this is episode 1 is set just before the show and they will be adding episodes to co exist with the show which will work very well in my eyes.
fracturedrich 47