Bethesda: Elder Scrolls doesn't suit multiplayer, but asynch

Your comments on our articles.

Players may connect in a variety of ways in future Bethesda titles

Perhaps you happily poured hundreds of hours into Skyrim without ever pining for company. Or maybe you plodded along, smiting as you went, but could never quite shake that niggling feeling that it could all have been so much better with a few friends in tow. I'm firmly in the former camp, but it's hard to disagree that nowadays most developers ignore multiplayer and all its guises at their peril.... read more

Bethesda: Elder Scrolls doesn't suit multiplayer, but asynch

Postby SkinnerChinner » 11 Apr 2013, 12:15

I'm with Hines & Aoife on this one, on multiplayer in the "traditional" sense at least. I'm glad the single player experience is still the focus of Bethesda games (haven't played Skyrim, but Fallout is a personal favourite), and they haven't attempted to 'shoe-horn' a mode in just to get a tick in the box.

Saying that, the idea stuff from your game could be "synched" over to a friends does sound appealing. MP specific locations & quests could be good, but I'm not too keen on the idea the 'whole' game would be online MP.
SkinnerChinner 36

Re: Bethesda: Elder Scrolls doesn't suit multiplayer, but as

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Apr 2013, 12:27

SkinnerChinner wrote:I'm with Hines & Aoife on this one, on multiplayer in the "traditional" sense at least. I'm glad the single player experience is still the focus of Bethesda games (haven't played Skyrim, but Fallout is a personal favourite), and they haven't attempted to 'shoe-horn' a mode in just to get a tick in the box.

Saying that, the idea stuff from your game could be "synched" over to a friends does sound appealing. MP specific locations & quests could be good, but I'm not too keen on the idea the 'whole' game would be online MP.

You haven't played Skyrim!? What are doing here? get to your Xbox right now and start!
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby PonderingWalrus » 11 Apr 2013, 12:35

How would quests be shared or accepted?

Progress could only be counted in the host's game.

How would conversations with NPCs work?

Umm... as they always do. The game just wouldn't pause during them so other players can keep moving.

How many enemies would need to be in any one area to provide a sufficient challenge to a band of merry adventurers?

It could scale depending on the number of players present.

How good can those enemies look, considering how much information must be on screen at any one time?

I don't know. This is probably the biggest problem and I can see this as a valid point against Elder Scrolls multiplayer.

I still don't see how coop wouldn't work in Skyrim. I'm not saying it needs it but it is always nice when you have the option to share a gaming experience with somebody else. The only real issue with implementing coop seems to be the technical issues (which may not necessarily be impossible to overcome); Bethesda's constant talk of how it wouldn't work logistically smells of horse crap to me.

It just seems to me like Bethesda see Elder Scrolls coop as more work than it is worth. Maybe they are right but they could at least be honest about it.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby SkinnerChinner » 11 Apr 2013, 12:37

CunningSmile wrote: You haven't played Skyrim!? What are doing here? get to your Xbox right now and start!

I take that as a recommendation? :D I've thought about getting it for some time, but never got round to it. I know, I'm a terrible Bethesda fan...
SkinnerChinner 36

Postby PonderingWalrus » 11 Apr 2013, 12:50

SkinnerChinner wrote:
CunningSmile wrote: You haven't played Skyrim!? What are doing here? get to your Xbox right now and start!

I take that as a recommendation? :D I've thought about getting it for some time, but never got round to it. I know, I'm a terrible Bethesda fan...

If you haven't played Skyrim you are missing out! Just say goodbye to that "outdoors" thing before you start; you won't be seeing it for quite some time. :D
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby smjenkins77 » 11 Apr 2013, 13:17

How could you get multiplayer to work in Skyrim? You only have to look at Borderlands.

That said, I don't want it. I love multiplayer, but Elder Scrolls has always been a "my time" game, something I could pump hours into on my own. It's special, I'd like to keep it that way.
smjenkins77 14

Postby captainhetty » 11 Apr 2013, 13:47

I don't think Skyrim needs it, particularly.

I enjoy multiplayer but it needs to be well implemented. Sometimes online play feels a bit like it's been stuck on as an afterthought because someone thought it should have it, rather than because it actually benefits the game in any way. Some games just don't need it, and for me Skyrim is one of those games.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 63

Postby Adam Bisset » 11 Apr 2013, 20:34

I love the idea of sending an avatar off into another person's game, to bring back intelligence or actual weapons, or whatever. As long as I choose who I send, and when. I don't want my Lydia wandering off and having an affair with some filthy Argonian...
Adam Bisset 1

Postby Jackotiny » 12 Apr 2013, 08:01

I do like the concept behine the Elder Scrolls Online game but I just wish it was not online because I think that online games, whilst they can be fun, always take the majority of the story away to make up the entire game. The thought of there being factions on the Elder Scrolls game is a thought that they might want to bring over to the console games.
Jackotiny 13

Postby RedBeard1990 » 12 Apr 2013, 23:22

To be honest, Skyrims been my favourite game probably ever and i wouldn't want multiplayer thrown in, however if they added it into dlc.... for example an arena like the one in oblivion for pvp battles... that'd be pretty sweet!
RedBeard1990 2

Postby CaoticData » 13 Apr 2013, 02:39

I dont see why an online arena would not be awesome. You would have your normal single player game but option to join online arena to fight others. It would be a nice break from A.I interaction and some bragging rights to boot, you could have trophies or even wager you gold. It dont have to be like huge pvp battles like mmorpg but more like single combat or even 2 vs 2.
CaoticData 1