to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Batman Arkham Origins: seven things it must improve

Your comments on our articles.

Our utility-belt selection for WB Montreal

Like any diehard Caped Crusader fan, I'm a teensy bit excited for Batman: Arkham Origins. So excited in fact, I've made a list of seven improvements or additions I'd like to see come the game's release on 25th October. Point eight was just going to be 'BatcaveBATCAVEbatcaveBATCAVE' typed over and over again, but in an uncharacteristic display of I willpower, I refrained. Thought of any improvements of your own? Let's talk it out in the comments below.... read more

Batman Arkham Origins: seven things it must improve

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Apr 2013, 13:23

Agree on every single point. Whilst I loved Arkham City it did have a strange combination of overly empty world and overly busy map. There were too many side distractions that kept popping up it was easy to lose sight of what you doing to advance the actual plot, and the streets were just too empty. It was fun running across roof tops but there were too many times it was just easier to run down the street as no one would see you, and that just isn't very Batman is it? Hopefully being in a city that has real people still living in it will change that.

And can I further the new villians by saying different villians? Fun as the Joker is he's getting over used and needs a rest, same goes for Zsasz a fairly minor villian who has still cropped up in two games and a small cameo in Nolan's films. You've got 80 years of bad guys to choose from guys, show a bit of imagination! Give us Man-Bat, KGBeast, Prometheus, Firefly etc and give Killer Croc, Poison Ivy and Bane a rest.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Batman Arkham Origins: seven things it must improve

Postby SilentDark » 11 Apr 2013, 13:57

I don't necessarily think playing as the villains would be any fun really, but there are more members of the bat family that could be used, Batgirl, Huntress, heck if you want a villain perhaps the Red Hood. Personally I'd love another member of the Justice League, perhaps Black Canary, she's awesome.

Year one....again. I liked the comic, and the animated film based on it, and Batman begins....enough, can we stop now please. I don't want a Batman plagued with self doubt, or unsure of himself. I want Batman, lover, fighter, kidnapper of small children who he then forces into tight green pants and pixie boots...um I think I should stop there (and I should really stop reading Frank Miller's work)

I do agree about the detective thing though. I think more needs to be made of this, he is the world's greatest detective, but not so much if it's him at the beginning is it?
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby Bongzilla1878 » 11 Apr 2013, 14:14

The batsuit - add nipples and enlarge the codpiece.

And if they include Mr Freeze again then please let him have at least one ICE related pun. "ICE to see you Batman" or "You're not sending me to the COOLER!" for example.
HEY EVERYONE, COME SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK.
Bongzilla1878 28

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Apr 2013, 14:16

Bongzilla1878 wrote:The batsuit - add nipples and enlarge the codpiece.

And if they include Mr Freeze again then please let him have at least one ICE related pun. "ICE to see you Batman" or "You're not sending me to the COOLER!" for example.

We could get you banned you know :wink:
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby RetroDad » 11 Apr 2013, 15:07

Whilst we're at it, let's tell Kevin Conroy that he's fired and hire Christian Bale to voice Batman eh? :shock:
I'll state what I want to state in whatever state I happen to be in!
RetroDad 35

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 11 Apr 2013, 15:11

I Agree with the Streets needing to be filled with the citizens of Gotham. I can imagine a scene in the game slightly reminiscent of Batman Returns where thugs are terrorizing the citizens of New Gotham, Batman amidst the chaos makes his way through the streets beating on thugs whilst saving citizens.

As I mentioned in the other article this could create some cool citizen dialog Batman could listen in on from high above the streets to hear saved citizens give different descriptions of who or what actually saved them adding to Batman's Notoriety/Rep and the level of heat the GCPD send his way.

The best way detective mode and the Batcomputer could be put to use it to collect information on the police officers of the GCPD. Who is corrupt, who is trust worthy and most of all this could be a interesting way to introduce Jim Gordon. Breaking into the GCPD building to plant a backdoor in their online personal files would be very a Batman thing to do. This also provides research on the known criminals of Gotham and potential up and comers whilst all the while adding to the Batcomputers Database for future reference.

I half agree on the distractions point. The Riddler trophies are monotonous and are only really there to bulk up the games play time. Id like to still see events like in Arkham City. But don't confuse the map with multiple objectives at one time. I think these should happen totally at random and not show up on the map.
Batman should have to listen in on thugs conversations to find out where a robbery, heist or a mugging might take place then has to make his way there before it happens preferably without on screen timers...I hate those things. Upon defeating the thugs and stopping the crime he can then interrogate one of the thugs to find out who he works for and where he can find his boss, Be it Black Mask of the Penguin or even some small time nobody called the Red Hood :lol:

Everyone's Game experience could be a little different then. We will be three games in by then I don't want my hand held the whole way with helpful map pointers to everything. I want to discover things for myself and most of all be Batman.
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby Bongzilla1878 » 11 Apr 2013, 15:35

RetroDad wrote:

Whilst we're at it, let's tell Kevin Conroy that he's fired and hire Christian Bale to voice Batman eh? :shock:

Interesting suggestion. Considering that the Batman we'll meet in Origins isn’t the one we've come to know in previous Arkham games then maybe the gruff tones of Kevin Conroy should be replaced with those of a less gruff, younger performer? (it must have taken Batman many years to perfect the gruff voice without having a sore throat all the time, he probably still keeps an emergency pack of lozenges in the utility belt)
HEY EVERYONE, COME SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK.
Bongzilla1878 28

Postby SilentDark » 11 Apr 2013, 15:45

What, you mean like when they cast Rino Romano for the Batman, to be honest it never worked for me. Rino has a young man's voice but the dark bleakness of Batman wasn't there, he sounded like Spider-Man cosplaying as Batman (which made sense since he was Spider-Man in Spiderman Unlimited and the PS1 games) Kevin Conroy is very talented actor and he could certainly portray a younger Batman, and the next person to suggest dropping him gets a Bat Credit Card to the skull :)
SilentDark 62

Postby richwk » 11 Apr 2013, 15:49

Totally agree on the detective work aspect. More of that please. Loved the bullet tracing thing from City.
btw I thought The Dark Knight Rises totally missed that out, he did no detective work himself. Most of the 'clues' were given to Bats via a handy piece of exposition from another character. Or in one instance, from a hallucination of a dead chap. Lame.
richwk 30

Postby Decent_Jam » 11 Apr 2013, 17:41

I'd be happy to see the back of Riddler trophies to a degree, perhaps they would be better suited to their own challenge mode, like an 'arcade mode' which focuses on that sort of pick up and put down action.

I enjoyed the first two games and what I hope they retain is the pacing and fluidity of it all, to make it too character driven or too gamey would be a shame, IMO the previous titles managed this balance well.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Crisco » 11 Apr 2013, 19:14

I hated collecting the Riddler trophies but I quite liked his riddles. Sometimes. I'm all for more detective work but I'm really excited about the gadgets, Batman has some really cool toys.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 40

Postby Hadi » 12 Apr 2013, 13:51

i would love it if they let us drive the batmobile in the streets of gotham
Hadi 1

Postby RetroDad » 12 Apr 2013, 16:07

SilentDark wrote:What, you mean like when they cast Rino Romano for the Batman, to be honest it never worked for me. Rino has a young man's voice but the dark bleakness of Batman wasn't there, he sounded like Spider-Man cosplaying as Batman (which made sense since he was Spider-Man in Spiderman Unlimited and the PS1 games) Kevin Conroy is very talented actor and he could certainly portray a younger Batman, and the next person to suggest dropping him gets a Bat Credit Card to the skull :)

Sarcasm chaps, I can't think of anyone else other than Mr. Conroy that I'd like portraying Bats.
I'll state what I want to state in whatever state I happen to be in!
RetroDad 35

Postby SilentDark » 12 Apr 2013, 19:05

Just don't joke about that stuff. I'm still recovering from the news that David Hayter won't be Snake in MGS5 :cry:
SilentDark 62

Postby Crisco » 13 Apr 2013, 13:55

SilentDark wrote:Just don't joke about that stuff. I'm still recovering from the news that David Hayter won't be Snake in MGS5 :cry:

Yeah I heard about that, he IS Solid Snake and they never even asked him.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 40