Adam Orth Exits Microsoft

Your comments on our articles.

Creative director leaves after "always online" spat

It's being reported that Microsoft Creative Director Adam Orth has resigned. Orth was recently involved in a controversial spat with Bioware Designer Manveer Heir concerning the possible next Xbox being online or, as he put it, "the drama about having an 'always on' console".... read more

Adam Orth Exits Microsoft

Postby fracturedrich » 11 Apr 2013, 13:24

There has to be more to it than that,all i no there aint much positive vibes coming from microsoft at the minute,i hope they do something soon about this,as sony are lapping all this up.Oh and tiger 14 you have to be online at all times to get coins and status points,the ea server went down earlier which resulted in me putting another game on,is that the future of gaming on a xbox.
fracturedrich 48

Re: Adam Orth Exits Microsoft

Postby SilentDark » 11 Apr 2013, 13:39

So I guess it should be ok for an employee to potentially alienate consumers by basically writing off people's very real concerns, his arrogance and dismissive attitude to this debate resulted in his position being untenable. Whether he was pushed or jumped of his own accord this needed to happen, maybe in his next job he'll actually give a damn about his customers concerns and not be such a git about it.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 68

Postby Bongzilla1878 » 11 Apr 2013, 13:56

SilentDark wrote:So I guess it should be ok for an employee to potentially alienate consumers by basically writing off people's very real concerns, his arrogance and dismissive attitude to this debate resulted in his position being untenable. Whether he was pushed or jumped of his own accord this needed to happen, maybe in his next job he'll actually give a damn about his customers concerns and not be such a git about it.

Spot on
HEY EVERYONE, COME SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK.
Bongzilla1878 28

Postby captainhetty » 11 Apr 2013, 14:02

SilentDark wrote:So I guess it should be ok for an employee to potentially alienate consumers by basically writing off people's very real concerns, his arrogance and dismissive attitude to this debate resulted in his position being untenable. Whether he was pushed or jumped of his own accord this needed to happen, maybe in his next job he'll actually give a damn about his customers concerns and not be such a git about it.

This.

He's an obstinate git, to put it politely. I only hope he went of his own accord because he realised his attitude was unacceptable and he had no right to stay in the position he was in.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 63

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Apr 2013, 14:06

I'm actually with Ed on this one. So what if his opinion differs from everyone elses, he voiced it badly and then refused to change it? If that's his opinion he's entitled to it and it's certainly not grounds to expect him to leave his job.
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby pg99 » 11 Apr 2013, 14:46

CunningSmile wrote:I'm actually with Ed on this one. So what if his opinion differs from everyone elses, he voiced it badly and then refused to change it? If that's his opinion he's entitled to it and it's certainly not grounds to expect him to leave his job.

Those opinions though were directly related to his job. It's not like he got fired for saying he hates Obama is it? I don't know if he deserved to lose his job, nor do I really care about ignorant people like him. I'm sure his family will be fine if he has any, it's not like he's got a bad CV.
pg99 14

Postby captainhetty » 11 Apr 2013, 14:54

I totally respect everybody's right to an opinion, and he's just as entitled to one as anyone else. But when you're in an influential position within a company, expressing an opinion directly related to your product and the consumers' concerns about it is something that should be done very carefully. Not to mention without completely disrespecting part of your market.

Having a position of authority doesn't give him the right to blatantly disregard people's concerns by being flippant and arrogant.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 63

Postby pg99 » 11 Apr 2013, 15:11

captainhetty wrote:I totally respect everybody's right to an opinion, and he's just as entitled to one as anyone else. But when you're in an influential position within a company, expressing an opinion directly related to your product and the consumers' concerns about it is something that should be done very carefully. Not to mention without completely disrespecting part of your market.

Having a position of authority doesn't give him the right to blatantly disregard people's concerns by being flippant and arrogant.

My thoughts exactly. You put it much better than me.
pg99 14

Postby SilentDark » 11 Apr 2013, 15:20

MasterChiefJ117 wrote:I don't think there are any winners here just hope he doesn't have a family or young children as they will be the real victims here.

I find this particularly annoying, what so if he has a family to provide for he should be immune from the consequences of engaging his mouth before his brain? Maybe losing his job will cause him to give greater consideration to what he says regarding his customers in future. And in regards to the EA thing well since EA makes not giving a crap about their customers company policy I think Mr. Orth should consider handing in his CV there, I'm sure they'd love to have him..
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 68

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 11 Apr 2013, 15:22

He maybe shouldn't of been so candid with his opinions, especially in today where posting something on a social networking site if only for a few minutes before taking it down is enough to seal your fate.

Speaking from experience I lost a job due to having an alcohol fueled rant about said job on a social networking site :oops:
Johnbhoy69 56

Postby smjenkins77 » 11 Apr 2013, 15:50

Well at least now he's unemployed he can be "always online".
smjenkins77 14

Postby vadersmyfather » 11 Apr 2013, 16:03

it's an unfortunate state of the industry when people don't feel they can talk openly about their beliefs without their jobs being jeopardised

I don't agree at all. What he said wasn't appropriate for someone holding his position. Everyone new that, hence the headlines it made.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
vadersmyfather 50

Postby scotty » 11 Apr 2013, 16:06

I'm just surprised that he hasn't been pecked to death by crows because of those rashers of bacon above his eyes. I guess he's saving them as he's unemployed now.

Crows, go get him! Kuckaawww!!!
scotty 52

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Apr 2013, 16:13

I think the big lesson here is to not use social networking sites. Because they're verging on moronic #sausages.

I'd like to get me some crows of death though.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby comabob » 11 Apr 2013, 16:42

As an employee at "Britains Most Hated Company" I've found myself in compromising work situations more than once - BUT

I kinda agree with Silent Dark on this one.

Sure its a bit OTT BUT if your a spokesperson for a company - you shouldnt be making your opinions of said company OR company's products without first being "ok'd" to do so. REGARDLESS of company or what the opinion is.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Next