to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Darkstalkers Resurrection XBLA a commercial flop

Your comments on our articles.

Capcom USA boss admits sales are poor - but he's not giving up.

As a lover of silly, impossibly difficult fighting games and of murderous, red-hooded huntresses, it saddens me to report that Darkstalkers Resurrection hasn't sold well enough to be considered a success, according to Capcom.... read more

Darkstalkers Resurrection XBLA a commercial flop

Postby SilentDark » 11 Apr 2013, 14:04

Actually the problem here is that it's the best 2d fighters I have already played. I'm never one to repurchase stuff I've already played to death.

This was kind of the same problem that nintendo had with Starfox (although the handling was much worse) where Starfox 3d was released and Nintendo basically said "we'll only make a new entry in the Starfox series if you purchase this remake on the 3DS"

Street Fighter had it's really big revival after Street Fighter 4 came out, new graphics a new all english voice cast. maybe this needs to happen for Darkstalkers. I for one would certainly buy it.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Re: Darkstalkers Resurrection XBLA a commercial flop

Postby OXM Aoife » 11 Apr 2013, 14:12

SilentDark wrote:Actually the problem here is that it's the best 2d fighters I have already played. I'm never one to repurchase stuff I've already played to death.

This was kind of the same problem that nintendo had with Starfox (although the handling was much worse) where Starfox 3d was released and Nintendo basically said "we'll only make a new entry in the Starfox series if you purchase this remake on the 3DS"

Street Fighter had it's really big revival after Street Fighter 4 came out, new graphics a new all english voice cast. maybe this needs to happen for Darkstalkers. I for one would certainly buy it.

That's an interesting point you make with regards to buying games you've already played to death. I've got most of the old Street Fighters and Tekkens, Bloody Roar, and the first Rival School in their original boxes, but I'd probably still buy any that were granted the HD upgrade treatment, if it meant giving me the option to play others online.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Apr 2013, 14:13

It says a lot that this is a title I was actually looking forward to, and I'm logged onto OXM nearly constantly, subscribe to the mag and yet my first thought was "oh, has that come out?"

Memo to Capcom: If you want something to sell you need to come to us, you can't expect us to come to you.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby smjenkins77 » 11 Apr 2013, 15:52

If it was 800 points it would have been a day-one-download. As it stands, i'll wait it out.
smjenkins77 14

Postby Maverick_McCool » 11 Apr 2013, 16:33

I'd be up for a few rounds if you fancy it , I was beginning to believe there was only msbhvn and myself around here who liked getting a bloody nose! I'll probably get royally spanked though , I've only given this game about an hour of my time.

GT : MaverickMcCool
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby msbhvn » 11 Apr 2013, 18:16

I tend to buy these retro collections so I can play the original arcade versions in MAME without feeling guilty. I didn't buy this, though. Maybe I should have, but as has been said, how did they expect it to sell with zero marketing? Charging a tenner for it is taking the piss, as well. Not as bad as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for 1600MSP, but still too much for it to be an impulse buy. The same goes for Marvel vs Capcom Origins, but that's half price this week. Capcom should take a leaf out of SEGA's book on retro game pricing and have 800MSP max.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby smjenkins77 » 12 Apr 2013, 12:52

ghost whistler wrote:half price is great, except that half of 1200 (presumably) points is 600 and you can't buy points in multiples less than 500, so the cost isn't 600 points it's 1000 points.

No, half of 1200 isn't 1000. The cost is 600. I don't anyone who just buys points for one game and if you did, then you can get them in 800, 1200 and 1600 increments.
smjenkins77 14

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Apr 2013, 14:29

Yes you can buy 800 points. Walk into Game or try Amazon, 800 points the basic unit of prepaid cards.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby captainhetty » 12 Apr 2013, 14:31

No, you wouldn't have to buy 1500. Most online retailers sell point codes which are delivered directly to your email inbox in several denominations, one of which is 1200.

I agree this is overpriced, but the 'I have to buy extra points I don't need' argument is pretty much a moot point.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 61

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Apr 2013, 14:47

ghost whistler wrote:
captainhetty wrote:No, you wouldn't have to buy 1500. Most online retailers sell point codes which are delivered directly to your email inbox in several denominations, one of which is 1200.

I agree this is overpriced, but the 'I have to buy extra points I don't need' argument is pretty much a moot point.

Not really since there are no such retailers.

Correction: no such trustworthy retailers.

You're a very negative person, has anyone ever told you that?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Apr 2013, 14:50

ghost whistler wrote:
captainhetty wrote:No, you wouldn't have to buy 1500. Most online retailers sell point codes which are delivered directly to your email inbox in several denominations, one of which is 1200.

Not really since there are no such retailers.

Correction: no such trustworthy retailers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-LIVE-800-M ... +ms+points

or for download

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores ... ttp:mIndex
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby SilentDark » 12 Apr 2013, 18:48

Remeber when digital download was touted as the future of gaming, remember the rumours of "dowload only" consoles, those were good times.

Seriously, the pricing on both the LIVE marketplace and the PSN store is so insane I am at a loss for words as to how these keep functioning. Remeber when the PSP was released as a download only PSP Go because the UMD format failed, and it tanked hard, remeber how shocked Sony were at the fact that their handheld console redesigned to only play their overpriced downloadable versions was less popular that the original? Darkstalkers would be worth a tenner...on a disc, with a case and instructions, as a pair of tarted up 2d fighters from twenty years ago the data alone is not worth that much. (Given the lovely 2d fighters we have now, such as Blazblue, Persona 4 Arena, Guilty Gear etc.) someone needs to reign in the insane pricing structure of arcade and on demand because quite frankly I am having a hard time seeing how £39.99 for a new release on demand when ASDA is probably charging £34.99 for the Disc copy even makes sense. The lack of physical media, manual, case, shop profits etc. translates to a saving but not, it seems for the customer.If MS and Sony don't take a serious look at this then might I suggest, instead of the possibility of "Always Online" consoles, they look at the possibility of "Always Offline" consoles.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby PonderingWalrus » 16 Apr 2013, 22:23

I don't see why some people make such a big deal out of prices on Xbox LIVE.

If you don't think the product is worth it, then don't buy it. But don't moan incessantly on internet forums and make a bigger deal out it than it's actually worth. I realise there are some valid reasons for one to get irritated (by not being able to buy the exact amount of MS points they want etc) but they are ultimately minor inconveniences. So you may have points leftover, what's the big deal? You will, in all likelihood, end up spending them further down the line anyway.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Next