to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Minecraft creator Notch second most influential person in th

Your comments on our articles.

As currently voted for by readers of Time magazine

The readers of Time magazine have voted Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson as the second most influential person in the world, only coming behind Egypt's president Mohamed Morsi (who may be disqualified, given he has received many more negative votes than positive.)... read more

Minecraft creator Notch second most influential person in th

Postby ItchyRash » 12 Apr 2013, 14:15

He should be tasked with ruling and rebuilding Egypt. They have a history of building things with blocks so he'll be fine. And probably better than the current leader
Last edited by ItchyRash on 12 Apr 2013, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
ItchyRash 43

Re: Minecraft creator Notch second most influential person i

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Apr 2013, 14:30

They have a current leader?
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Apr 2013, 14:44

I never realised game playing egyptians were the only readers of Time magazine.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Apr 2013, 14:54

My biggest problem with these sorts of lists is that they don't measure the influence these people have, just the sort of following they have amongst the type of people who vote in online polls.

Neil Gaiman is on the list? I like the guy, but how influential can he be when in the last year his most noticeable works have been an episode of Doctor Who and reprints of old stuff?
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Chameleon » 12 Apr 2013, 15:50

And people thought that EA being voted worst company in America was going a little too far! :shock:
This makes that look a thoroughly sensible and well thought-out decision. Jeez!

My vote would have gone to Kim Jong-Un. Methinks he's going to have the most influence on the world this year.
Chameleon 44

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Apr 2013, 17:38

Notch and Psy are some of the most influential people in the world?
No wonder its so shit
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Plamsa wing » 12 Apr 2013, 17:51

Chameleon wrote:My vote would have gone to Kim Jong-Un. Methinks he's going to have the most influence on the world this year.

Why'd you think that Psy character is on the list. :wink:

Yes I know he's from South Korea, but surely I can't be the only person who thinks they look like each other?
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Apr 2013, 17:54

Plamsa wing wrote:
Chameleon wrote:My vote would have gone to Kim Jong-Un. Methinks he's going to have the most influence on the world this year.

Why'd you think that Psy character is on the list. :wink:

Yes I know he's from South Korea, but surely I can't be the only person who thinks they look like each other?

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby PonderingWalrus » 12 Apr 2013, 20:57

Metalrodent wrote:Image

That never gets old. :lol:
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Drainwater » 12 Apr 2013, 23:18

I'm surprised Chuck Norris didn't top that list. Or is that fad finally over?
Drainwater 35

Postby NerdTronJJ » 13 Apr 2013, 07:59

I think the best part about this is that maybe people will start taking games more seriously. I mean yeah I know there are those stupid games out there but maybe this will help with 2 problems. 1. showing other game makers that your game doesn't have to have super graphics or be another cookie cutter gene (those can be fun thou). Just something that people would enjoy playing. Whether that be for 5 minutes a day or 6 hours on a Saturday. 2. That gaming can and is an art. I have seen things in minecraft that are beautiful. From the rebuilding of famous landmarks in a 1:1 scale, or the process of people recreating the surface of our planet, to the recreations of fantasy lands like Middle earth, Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, and even the world of Pokémon. Things that make people want to build things as well. But that's just me.
NerdTronJJ 3

Postby Dave2123 » 13 Apr 2013, 11:59

I thought i was going to have to write a scathing comment, but I'm glad to see that others realise how silly this is, which must mean that the general viewer of OXM is slightly more educated than the general reader of Time magazine!! The leader of the most populous country in the world and one in which its population isn't as free as western countries is only 90-something. Yes, Psy may have influenced lots of people to do silly dances when his songs come on, but that's as far as he could influence anyone. Same goes for sports people - they may have influenced a few people to take up their sport but they don't have influence over the important things in their lives like political leaders do, especially dictators.
Dave2123 29

Postby SilentDark » 13 Apr 2013, 13:30

What the feck is Minecraft? :?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.
SilentDark 65

Postby pg99 » 13 Apr 2013, 18:22

Dave2123 wrote:I thought i was going to have to write a scathing comment, but I'm glad to see that others realise how silly this is, which must mean that the general viewer of OXM is slightly more educated than the general reader of Time magazine!! The leader of the most populous country in the world and one in which its population isn't as free as western countries is only 90-something. Yes, Psy may have influenced lots of people to do silly dances when his songs come on, but that's as far as he could influence anyone. Same goes for sports people - they may have influenced a few people to take up their sport but they don't have influence over the important things in their lives like political leaders do, especially dictators.

Arguable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olymp ... wer_salute
That's why you shouldn't generalise. But I do generally agree. :oops:
Not being argumentative by the way, I'm just somewhat sympathetic towards sports people :mrgreen:
pg99 14

Postby xUKDrAGoNBorN » 06 May 2013, 15:34

Drainwater wrote:I'm surprised Chuck Norris didn't top that list. Or is that fad finally over?

its over because he shaved his beard
xUKDrAGoNBorN 16