to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Hot topic: should games do religion?

Your comments on our articles.

BioShock Infinite dabbles; should others follow suit?

Hark, the zip and clang of opinions clashing against one another! It can only be another instalment of the Hot Topic - a monthly feature in which two of OXM's finest battle for your approval.... read more

Postby thelion71 » 12 Apr 2013, 15:09

Games should offer players as much choice as possible. The real issue is that people of deep insert your own choice of words hear) faith take offence at the gaming industry making light of their beliefs.
If a game developer wants to include choices/scenes/references to religion in their games, they should offer it as a menu choice.
I am Lion, hear my ROAR!!!!
thelion71 7

Postby funkysideorder » 12 Apr 2013, 15:26

Try as I might Log, I really don't see the problem with eating deserts as a main meal. :lol:

Anyway, I said yes as I don't think any topic should be excluded as it's there's no good reason for it. Just because so far games haven't covered religion well in general doesn't mean they will never manage to make a gripping game that uses religion as a main theme. Of course there are a few notable exceptions where religion has been utilised well.

That said, I don't think a game centered on a real, popular religion such as Christianity would be particularly enthralling. The most successful examples seem to be where a new religion has been created for the game, like the Divines in Elder Scrolls.
funkysideorder 21

Re: Hot topic: should games do religion?

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Apr 2013, 15:29

I have to vote with Ed here and say no (although Log seemed to actually be arguing against it as well to be honest) There are a few intelligent developers out there that can use them intelligently as a spring board for intellectual debate, but they are few and far between and mostly answer to the name Ken Levine.

In the real world of games development we get stuff like Asura's Wrath; a game based on the most pacifistic religion ever conceived in which you get to punch planets until they explode. Can you imagine Activision doing the story of Christ? I'm an athiest and even I'm not ready for a screen prompt that reads "Press X to escape from cross and use it to crush skull of Roman Centurian"
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby captainhetty » 12 Apr 2013, 15:32

I don't see any reason not to. If we start to exclude one aspect of life to avoid offending people or being controversial, where would it end?

If it's implemented and written well and not a case of taking the proverbial out of religion, I don't see that there's any harm in it.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 58

Postby DexHaven » 12 Apr 2013, 15:37

:D Yes they should, games should take on subjects that scare Hollywood. The power of games to educate and inform could serve us all very well. Literacy, critical thinking and mathematics could all benefit, it amazes me that the opposite seems to be happening when we know full well a rewarding narrative and interactive game environment could be used to teach almost anything. Starting with the fact that all of the Abrahamic religions are three cheeks of the same arse responsible for ill than good (post enlightenment.). More over china has just released and fps to stir "feelings of patriotism" the response to this should be high minded and enlightened and not pro religion

However there is a potential flip side to this coin What if they get it wrong? what if we make a new religion more violent than the all of them put together? Fudge it lets have a stab anyway, if not the games industry then who?
Chandler: Didn't you read Lord of the Rings in high school? Joey: No. I had sex in high school.
DexHaven 33

Postby ItchyRash » 12 Apr 2013, 16:01

DexHaven wrote:However there is a potential flip side to this coin What if they get it wrong? what if we make a new religion more violent than the all of them put together? Fudge it lets have a stab anyway, if not the games industry then who?

Without turning this into a religious vs non-religious battle I would like to add that this argument that any religion in violent is wrong and a cliche. All preach non violence, it's humans that have used them for violence. And wars/violence is also caused by many other things (borders, control of resources)
ItchyRash 43

Postby DexHaven » 12 Apr 2013, 16:12

ItchyRash wrote:
DexHaven wrote:However there is a potential flip side to this coin What if they get it wrong? what if we make a new religion more violent than the all of them put together? Fudge it lets have a stab anyway, if not the games industry then who?

Without turning this into a religious vs non-religious battle I would like to add that this argument that any religion in violent is wrong and a cliche. All preach non violence, it's humans that have used them for violence. And wars/violence is also caused by many other things (borders, control of resources)

yes you may say that but I would ask you to re read the part of my statement quoted and notice it is non explicit. Also there is a difference between religion and philosophy's I would categorise many forms of Buddhism as a philosophy. "All preach non violence" is questionable if not a flat out lie.
Chandler: Didn't you read Lord of the Rings in high school? Joey: No. I had sex in high school.
DexHaven 33

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Apr 2013, 16:20

captainhetty wrote:I don't see any reason not to. If we start to exclude one aspect of life to avoid offending people or being controversial, where would it end?

If it's implemented and written well and not a case of taking the proverbial out of religion, I don't see that there's any harm in it.

This for me. I could say well it can be done as long as it isn't crass/badly handled but then nothing in games should really be crass or badly handled. It's an important point in some peoples lives and cutting it out completely is daft, saying we don't go to Religionholme anymore.

There are many games with it in and do it well or at least not badly, should they have never come out?
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Apr 2013, 16:24

CunningSmile wrote:Can you imagine Activision doing the story of Christ? I'm an athiest and even I'm not ready for a screen prompt that reads "Press X to escape from cross and use it to crush skull of Roman Centurian"

I forgot to mention....yes :P

2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Insaneyokel » 12 Apr 2013, 16:41

As long as it it done well and not used as a cheap crass stunt then there should be no problem in tackling religion in games. People have free choice if they want to buy the game or not. I think that developers have to be careful though as it could create tension if it is not done well or they have lacked understanding or what the religion is fundamentally preaching.

Overall I see no problem with games doing religion, just be sensible about it
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Apr 2013, 17:33

Biohock Infinite hasn't exactly started a trend though, Halo and Dead Space are all about religion (albeit fictional ones) and the first Assassins Creed game is sort of based around religion, being set in the crusades, and the Assassins/Templar war was heavily religious
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Crisco » 12 Apr 2013, 17:53

I read a blog recently from a Mormon gentleman ( http://kotaku.com/5988935/im-a-mormon-p ... d-it-right ) who was talking about Fallout 3 and New Vegas. There are a few Mormons in the game, some of them human some of them ghouls, and he was really happy with the way Bethesda handled it.

I voted yes simply because of this blog post. It's a really, really good read no matter what you believe in and I would recommend it to everyone. I'm not religious but it made me feel good about Bethesda, they handled it right and if all developers could include religion with the same tact it could make for interesting stories. Some minor New Vegas spoilers in it.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 46

Postby Plamsa wing » 12 Apr 2013, 17:56

My only real problem with religion in games or any other story telling platform, is how long until it becomes a cop out?

If there's anything that lacks imagination, it's the line "god did it."
I've bitten off more than I can choux.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby OneTonTurtle » 12 Apr 2013, 18:57

I trust intelligent, mature game designers to take the risk of including an actual religion in games much more than I trust a lot of these jackasses in the comments to even talk about it.

When you have openly bigoted statements like "The three Abrahamic religions are three cheeks on the same ass", I want to sell my gaming systems and swear off the entire community. You're shitty.
OneTonTurtle 4

Postby DexHaven » 12 Apr 2013, 21:02

OneTonTurtle wrote:I trust intelligent, mature game designers to take the risk of including an actual religion in games much more than I trust a lot of these jackasses in the comments to even talk about it.

When you have openly bigoted statements like "The three Abrahamic religions are three cheeks on the same ass", I want to sell my gaming systems and swear off the entire community. You're shitty.

I grant you bums only have two cheeks but you get my drift. Science over dogma :lol:
DexHaven 33

Next