Volition's Jim Boone: Saints Row's juvenile tone is not a ba

Your comments on our articles.

If anything, players want more juvenilia

We've been talking to Volition's Jim Boone about Saints Row 4, for a reveal in OXM issue 98 (on sale today). The new game is even more overblown than its predecessors - featuring both a virtual Steelport and characters with new superpowers, including yourself as President of the United States, battling aliens. So, as Boone says, "it's liberating to be able to come up with any idea we think gamers will enjoy with no restrictions".... read more

Volition's Jim Boone: Saints Row's juvenile tone is not a ba

Postby Jabraham » 12 Apr 2013, 16:47

I'll guess i'll stick to playing Saints row 2 and not buy these because i get that saints has always been crazier than other franchises but this i dont like. i mean SR2's crazy was bad ass and fun and even had strong story story. SR3 had better graphics, a dildo and no missions
Jabraham 35

Re: Volition's Jim Boone: Saints Row's juvenile tone is not

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Apr 2013, 17:24

I'l be honest, I bought SR3 because it was juvenile, and I had great fun dicking around with a big fake dick. Sadly the core game itself soon got dull, with repetetive minigames and an uninteresting world soon losing my interest. The overblown story missions were fun, but there was very little replay value, the cars handled like crap compared to GTA, with a terrible non-specific damage system and the civillian ai was far too simple to gain any fun interaction with.
SR4 can be as silly as it likes, as long as there's good solid gameplay and a interesting gameworld to explore
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby SilentDark » 12 Apr 2013, 18:26

To be honest I love the humour and crazyness of Saints Row 3, it takes the funny elements of the old GTA games and cranks them up to eleven. If I wanted overwroguth crime drama then there is plenty already out there. GTA V is on the horizon, there is the Mafia series, The Godfather games. Saint's Row has taken the GTA premise and offered something different and new, and don't we always complain of follow the leader in the industry. Metal Gear Solid came out and all of a sudden every game offered stealth mechanics, Saints Row came out and it wanted so bad to be a GTA killer, it couldn't do that, so rather than being content to remain GTA's poor unloved cousin the series drove into a different direct, offering something different, I love the fact that you get to use a giant dildo as a weapon. I love the crude humour and far out crazyness. You want something serious, GTA is there for you, you want something so stupid it's awesome then you have Saint's Row.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 68

Postby Drainwater » 12 Apr 2013, 23:12

SilentDark wrote:To be honest I love the humour and crazyness of Saints Row 3, it takes the funny elements of the old GTA games and cranks them up to eleven. If I wanted overwroguth crime drama then there is plenty already out there. GTA V is on the horizon, there is the Mafia series, The Godfather games. Saint's Row has taken the GTA premise and offered something different and new, and don't we always complain of follow the leader in the industry. Metal Gear Solid came out and all of a sudden every game offered stealth mechanics, Saints Row came out and it wanted so bad to be a GTA killer, it couldn't do that, so rather than being content to remain GTA's poor unloved cousin the series drove into a different direct, offering something different, I love the fact that you get to use a giant dildo as a weapon. I love the crude humour and far out crazyness. You want something serious, GTA is there for you, you want something so stupid it's awesome then you have Saint's Row.

Agreed. Also it's not like the dildo bat is forced down your throat or anything...
Drainwater 35

Postby Insaneyokel » 12 Apr 2013, 23:23

I think there needs to be more games that tap into our juvenile side, sometimes it's good to go rampaging around a city with a giant dildo (would love to see the police trying to deal with that one and the news at 10 coverage :D )
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby SilentDark » 13 Apr 2013, 13:28

lazercut123 wrote:Thor shall smite thee vile demon!!!!!

Sr2 was amazing, but sr3 had no story, the mini games were shit and you could be permanently immortal which was fun but made it way too easy.

But SR3 had Burt Reynolds, thus your arguement is invalid :lol:

Besides what is more awesome, a depressing storyline or a giant dildo baseball bat.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 68

Postby Drainwater » 13 Apr 2013, 15:31

lazercut123 wrote:Thor shall smite thee vile demon!!!!!

Sr2 was amazing, but sr3 had no story, the mini games were shit and you could be permanently immortal which was fun but made it way too easy.

I agree, 2's story was better, but 3's story was adequate. I thought the mini games were fine, it just needed a few more regular missions thrown in to balance it out. And as for the immortality...I just chose not to buy the damage proof or unlimited ammo upgrades.
Drainwater 35

Postby Eviltiger » 13 Apr 2013, 15:40

Jabraham wrote:I'll guess i'll stick to playing Saints row 2 and not buy these because i get that saints has always been crazier than other franchises but this i dont like. i mean SR2's crazy was bad ass and fun and even had strong story story. SR3 had better graphics, a dildo and no missions

I agree. Saints row 2 and 1 were great. And seriously they were quite emotional at times. I remember one mission when your ally was been dragged around on the back of a truck.And your character had to shoot them. That was a gaming memory I will never forget.

I dont mind mucking around. But I dont want ever second word to be a curse word. And the highlight of game play is naked people! I want good missions like the pimp missions etc and good rewards for each mission. I want a good story for my character. And i would love if any saints row game actually had an ending. And not rely so heavily on dlc.

Make it more serious! But fun!
Eviltiger 5

Postby john-117- » 14 Apr 2013, 21:21

thank you very much for the review of the game. i very much like saints row and when i figured out that iv was coming out i pre ordered it without even looking it over, which was dumb but now that i know it looks badass i should have nothing to worry about.
john-117- 1

Postby Theron284 » 19 Apr 2013, 13:44

I preferred the older Saints, to be honest. This over the top stuff just makes the game seem like one of those awful spoof movies. At least Saints Row 1 and 2 was actually funny and smart with their humour.
Theron284 5