Fallout 4: How Bethesda can make use of next generation hard

Your comments on our articles.

What we want to see with the new tech

Fallout 4 is coming, that much we know. Senior Bethesda developer Jason Bergman hinted at it ("You'll get no tips from me. But the Mojave Wasteland was a fun place to explore, wasn't it...?"); the actor who played Fallout 3's Three Dog, Erik Todd Dellums, tweeted about it ("To all my #Fallout3 and #ThreeDog fans: There may be more of the Dog coming! Fingers crossed!"); and in 2008, Bethesda VP Pete Hines said in light of their acquisition of the entire Fallout property, "We clearly intended to make more than one."... read more

Postby Vegetunks9000 » 15 Apr 2013, 16:26

Well the Skyrim team has announced they're moving on to their next major project, and saying goodbye to Skyrim. So it most certainly must be Fallout 4 (fingers crossed)
Yes yes, over 9000, i know, i know
Vegetunks9000 33

Re: Fallout 4: How Bethesda can make use of next generation

Postby marwood_03 » 15 Apr 2013, 16:52

Go in for the Unreal 3.0 engine.
Gamertag: Marwood II 87
marwood_03 19

Postby Metalrodent » 15 Apr 2013, 20:26

interesting how your discussion of locations only talked about more American locations, I'd be curious to see the wasteland in other parts of the world.
I believe the war was between the US and China, so why not a game set in the Chinese wastelands?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby Grummy » 15 Apr 2013, 20:53

Metalrodent wrote:interesting how your discussion of locations only talked about more American locations, I'd be curious to see the wasteland in other parts of the world.
I believe the war was between the US and China, so why not a game set in the Chinese wastelands?

Uggghhhh. Why do people always say this? You're missing the point. Fallout has always been a reflection of middle American 1950's image of the future, hence why the robots are so crappy looking, the laser weapons so cheesy looking. Fallout wouldn't work without the American setting, it's a strong part of what makes Fallout what it is. It's a sci-fi B-movie made into a game. It NEEDS to be set somewhere in America.

I'd like to know why Ben said 'not in New York, again'. Why again? It's never been set in New York before, did he mean New Vegas? I personally think a post Apocalyptic New York would be a very interesting setting.

His other suggestions are pretty standard really, people have talked these things over and over again that it's getting old now. Bottom line is that Bethesda can't carry on making huge but superficial worlds, they need to give them substance, give people things to do rather than making them make up their own games. I think one thing they should definitely do is give us a host of gameplay options that we can turn on or off as we want to tweak the game to our own personal preferences. You want to need to eat and sleep? Turn it on you want stim packs to heal over time rather than instantly? Turn it on. Basically take NV's hardcore mode and make it into a series of individual options that people can choose to turn on or off as they please.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Sandbwoy » 16 Apr 2013, 00:20

Levelling up your repair skills to bring abandoned vehicles back to life sounds brilliant. I'd love to see that in Fallout 4.
Sandbwoy 24

Postby Dave2123 » 16 Apr 2013, 02:06

True, true, but why can't there be an American 1950's vision of Chinese future. We never have games in China when it's a very interesting country as far as politics and war goes; it's always America, Russia or the Middle East. However, it probably should stay in America but not the wasteland again, somewhere new. Also, I think that the writer meant that New York is used so often in films and games etc that it would be nice to go somewhere else.
Dave2123 29

Postby FishyGinger » 16 Apr 2013, 09:40

I'm with Grummy on this it really should be set in america. If you want something in another country look for another game which isn't about american culture and visions.

And New York is one of those EA type things. As soon as you hear anything about EA you get people moaning about something, as soon as there's a game set in New York you always get people saying "oh not New York again, its been done millions of times" although at the minute I can only remember about 4 games set there.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Bezza89 » 16 Apr 2013, 09:49

FishyGinger wrote: its been done millions of times" although at the minute I can only remember about 4 games set there.

Crysis... prototype... crysis... prototype.... I have drawn a blank, not really helpful but I can't think either.

Just googled it; there's not many at all, some games have levels in NYC, like PGR, but other than Max Payne and True Crime New York, there are barely any worth mentioning. Remember that GTAIV is set in Liberty City, based on new york.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby Metalrodent » 16 Apr 2013, 09:59

New York gets more dull when you remember the amount of Hollywood films set there, that list would probably be too long to list
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby FishyGinger » 16 Apr 2013, 10:31

Bezza89 wrote:
FishyGinger wrote: its been done millions of times" although at the minute I can only remember about 4 games set there.

Crysis... prototype... crysis... prototype.... I have drawn a blank, not really helpful but I can't think either.

Just googled it; there's not many at all, some games have levels in NYC, like PGR, but other than Max Payne and True Crime New York, there are barely any worth mentioning. Remember that GTAIV is set in Liberty City, based on new york.

I remembered max payne (not counting each sequel in these), GTA, red alert 2 and crysis. I like a good setting but so long as it's used well it doesn't really matter where it is.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Xbox11 » 16 Apr 2013, 16:05

Id be surprised if they built it from scratch , If they do we wont be seeing it for a good bit of time , Unless they have been working on it for a while , Or use a new engine from someone else , Cant see that though

''Parts of our team have also been in pre-production on our next major project, and that game is at the point where it requires the studio's full attention''

I think they are going to rush this game out for next gen with the same engine used in Skyrim

BTW Marwood Epic now have Unreal Engine 4 :wink:
Xbox11 29

Postby Angry_Nipples » 22 Apr 2013, 05:56

Metalrodent wrote:interesting how your discussion of locations only talked about more American locations, I'd be curious to see the wasteland in other parts of the world.

That would be ridiculously retarded, hell why don't we make a star wars game in modern day America, none of that futuristic shit. Lets also make games that are specifically meant for one location in a different location
Angry_Nipples 1

Postby Angry_Nipples » 22 Apr 2013, 05:58

Sandbwoy wrote:Levelling up your repair skills to bring abandoned vehicles back to life sounds brilliant. I'd love to see that in Fallout 4.

If brilliant you mean absolutely terrible, this is fallout 3. Not grand theft auto. It may have worked for fallout 2, but that's a whole different species.
Angry_Nipples 1

Postby lordsamoni1 » 18 Nov 2013, 00:59

id like to be the overseer of a vault that survives thier social experiment and then has to fight for survival in the wastes. Also a customizable/upgradable base would be cool. Calling dibs on vault angels, saviours of the wasteland :)
lordsamoni1 2

Postby Stlspitfire » 20 Apr 2014, 18:22

I just wish they would release fallout 3 or new Vegas on the xbox one so I could play that until the new one comes out. Gave my 360 to my little brother :(
Stlspitfire 3