to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bethesda stop work on Skyrim

Your comments on our articles.

Elder Scrolls team is "moving to our next adventure"

It's been seven years since the team at Bethesda started working on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, driven by the astounding success of Oblivion, and the team are finally hanging up their hats. We've speculated an awful lot on what they're doing next.... read more

Postby Vegetunks9000 » 15 Apr 2013, 16:44

This has actually upset me a bit. So many questions unanswered. Still no high king. But suppose they're going to work on Fallout 4 now. Just one more DLC should've came out.
Yes yes, over 9000, i know, i know
Vegetunks9000 33

Re: Bethesda stop work on Skyrim

Postby Metalrodent » 15 Apr 2013, 16:47

as someone who lost interest in Skryim a while back (failed the daedric artifacts achievement, so thought 'ah sod it') this news doesn't bother me. In fact it makes me happy for news of Fallout 4
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby marwood_03 » 15 Apr 2013, 16:47

Unless they already have some DLC made and ready to release, sounds like no more DLC!
Gamertag: Marwood II 87
marwood_03 19

Postby msbhvn » 15 Apr 2013, 17:40

I've put many hours into Skyrim on both 360 and PC and I'm quite sad to hear that it's not being actively worked on anymore. But Fallout 4, if that's their next major project, is definitely something to look forward to.

Is another DLC confirmed or have they shelved it? With the amount of plot threads left hanging in Skyrim; the Thalmor, the Civil War, the future of the Empire, it just seems unfinished. If so, TES6 better start with those threads, minus Skyrim's Civil War of course, and tie them up.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby PonderingWalrus » 15 Apr 2013, 17:41

So that rumored next piece of dlc could very well be non-existent? Unless as some guy previously mentioned, it is finished and ready for release. Shame...

Still, this was going to have to happen some day.

Edit: Curse you msbhvn! Saying what I was going to say and more before me. :evil:
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby captainhetty » 15 Apr 2013, 18:11

D'aww... Another DLC would have been nice. Still, if this means Fallout 4, I'll forgive them ^_^
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 61

Postby glavias » 15 Apr 2013, 19:22

So just to clear things up Dragonborn was the last DLC then!!!... or what was the last DLC you saw I'm confused.. plus the trademarked Redguard.. So what was Pete Hines talking about.
glavias 37

Postby Grummy » 15 Apr 2013, 20:18

I'm kinda OK with this. I love Skyrim but in the end it was more about what it could have done that what it actually did, as fun and epic as it was it was also disappointing. Skyrim was a huge world with plenty of locations and quests, but it was empty and dull to explore, there was nothing going on. You play a game like Far Cry 3 and you have people going about their lives, events unfolding, battles being fought, it feels alive and dynamic, RDR has this as well. Skyrim had all the potential, it could have done this and it just doesn't do anything at all. Take the different camps lying around, some Imperial, some Stormcloak and at some point in the story you choose one side or the other. If this was FC3 you'd have a whole sub section of the game where you attack and take over all these camps for your chosen side and this would affect the local area that camp controls, the patrols would change to your side, things like that. Skyrim does nothing like that and the world feels bland without it.

Also, incredibly, for such a large mountainous world, it feels very flat, like all you are doing is running across the surface. It's a bare bones RPG, the basis for something better, so bring on Fallout 4 and hope they have learned from this and built on what they have.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Branhelm » 15 Apr 2013, 23:46

Does this mean we will finally get the GOTY edition (i have purposely not bought the DLC until they come out on disk because i really hate digital purchases.)
Branhelm 24

Postby Sandbwoy » 16 Apr 2013, 00:05

Spent a couple of hundred hours playing Skyrim, completed all the quests and got every achievement. But I never did buy any of the DLC to continue my adventure. Maybe I'll buy the game again when the GOTY edition is released. I'll look forward to that day.
Sandbwoy 24

Postby Notblad » 16 Apr 2013, 09:09

I am also waiting for a GOTY-edition, but I think we might have to be very patient. For "Oblivion" it took five years for an "all inclusive"-edition to appear...
Notblad 20

Postby Insaneyokel » 16 Apr 2013, 10:29

That kind of surprised me. I think there is one more dlc to some as I recall in a previous interview they were saying that there would be 3 large chunks of dlc and we have only had 2. But am now looking forward to the new fallout game, hopefully it will build on some of the good features from skyrim, but also learn from some of the weaknesses like the sometimes tedious dialogue.
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby PonderingWalrus » 16 Apr 2013, 10:44

Grummy wrote:I'm kinda OK with this. I love Skyrim but in the end it was more about what it could have done that what it actually did, as fun and epic as it was it was also disappointing. Skyrim was a huge world with plenty of locations and quests, but it was empty and dull to explore, there was nothing going on. You play a game like Far Cry 3 and you have people going about their lives, events unfolding, battles being fought, it feels alive and dynamic, RDR has this as well. Skyrim had all the potential, it could have done this and it just doesn't do anything at all. Take the different camps lying around, some Imperial, some Stormcloak and at some point in the story you choose one side or the other. If this was FC3 you'd have a whole sub section of the game where you attack and take over all these camps for your chosen side and this would affect the local area that camp controls, the patrols would change to your side, things like that. Skyrim does nothing like that and the world feels bland without it.

Also, incredibly, for such a large mountainous world, it feels very flat, like all you are doing is running across the surface. It's a bare bones RPG, the basis for something better, so bring on Fallout 4 and hope they have learned from this and built on what they have.

BLASPHEMY!!!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby lawsond28 » 16 Apr 2013, 13:21

Grummy wrote:... as fun and epic as it was it was also disappointing. Skyrim was a huge world with plenty of locations and quests, but it was empty and dull to explore.

So what was it Grummy? Fun and epic or dull and disappointing? You seem a little confused about whether or not you actually enjoyed playing Skyrim. Please clarify in your own inimitable style.
Never trust a dog to watch your food.
lawsond28 33

Postby Metalrodent » 16 Apr 2013, 13:25

lawsond28 wrote:
Grummy wrote:... as fun and epic as it was it was also disappointing. Skyrim was a huge world with plenty of locations and quests, but it was empty and dull to explore.

So what was it Grummy? Fun and epic or dull and disappointing? You seem a little confused about whether or not you actually enjoyed playing Skyrim. Please clarify in your own inimitable style.

He means it was fun gameplay wise, and he enjoyed the experience but that there was little point in exploration, as it didn't provide interesting experiences or varied enough locations
feel free to correct me grumster, this was my interpretation
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Next