to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Criterion no longer making racing games

Your comments on our articles.

Studio boss says "it's time to make something new."

Criterion's creative director Alex Ward has taken to his Twitter to tell fans asking for a new Burnout, Road Rash or Need For Speed that they may be disappointed, but new projects are on the horizon.... read more

Criterion no longer making racing games

Postby Metalrodent » 16 Apr 2013, 10:27

damn, I was hoping for at least one more Burnout - I still maintain Burnout 3 to be one of my favourite games ever.
On the other hand good luck to them, they've proved they have skills - lets see if they can come up with something good.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: Criterion no longer making racing games

Postby Insaneyokel » 16 Apr 2013, 10:30

I think they had run their course, especially the need for speed series. Hopefully they will be producing another new series of games that are just as enjoyable
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby SilentDark » 16 Apr 2013, 13:09

Oh no. I remember this one time where an EA owned developer made something outside their field of expertise. It did not end well :(
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby Xbox11 » 16 Apr 2013, 15:20

Its a shame , I love burnout, Road rash would be wicked
Xbox11 29

Postby Eviltiger » 17 Apr 2013, 13:23

I want to wish them all the best at Criterion AND I am looking forward for the next step for Criterion Games.
Eviltiger 5

Postby BorisTheFrog » 19 Apr 2013, 11:12

Well i'm sorry but i have to strongly disagree with the above comments because the demise of Criterion's 'everything must look and play like Burnout' era is fantastic news.

Surely there has to come a time when even the most casual of gamer grows tired of smashing yet another billboard, enduring yet another tedious crash cut-scene, tolerating woefully dodgy elastic band AI, and assuming that if everything travels at 300mph then it must be a fun game to play.

All the world needs now is Codemasters to follow suit.
BorisTheFrog 17

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Apr 2013, 11:34

SilentDark wrote:Oh no. I remember this one time where an EA owned developer made something outside their field of expertise. It did not end well :(

Just the one time?
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator