to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Oddworld developer: next gen Xbox needs to embrace self-publ

Your comments on our articles.

Microsoft's "retail-first" model is "bonkers, frankly"

Echoing the ever-opinionated Cliff Bleszinski, Just Add Water's CEO Stewart Gilray has told OXM that Microsoft needs to make it easier and less expensive for developers to release games on Xbox Live, beginning with certain "bonkers" criteria for publication of XBLA titles.... read more

Oddworld developer: next gen Xbox needs to embrace self-publ

Postby Plamsa wing » 18 Apr 2013, 17:22

This is well worth a read: http://www.oddworld.com/2013/04/oddworl ... box-360-2/

Thankfully I've got them on both PC, PS3 and original Xbox. Still, I'd love them on the 360 too.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Re: Oddworld developer: next gen Xbox needs to embrace self-

Postby OXM ETboy » 18 Apr 2013, 17:27

I'm in the process of writing a massive Oddworld feature, based on the chat with Stewart. It'll appear in the mag first, probably, and we may produce a few others to address particular (cough) topics. There's stuff in here that's going to make Oddworld fans very, very happy.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby antiAntag0nist » 18 Apr 2013, 18:04

It's a shame that MS's policies can be so restrictive. Stranger's Wrath is a game I always wanted to play, but wasn't able to. I know I can get it on PSN or Steam (which I may do) but I prefer to play on my Xbox. Hopefully, MS will reconsider some of their business practices moving forward with the next Xbox.
antiAntag0nist 39

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Apr 2013, 09:25

I was gutted by the whole Strangers Wrath thing as I've heard nothing but good things but never got to play it.

As for the future it would strike me as a little hypocritical of MS to spend so much time touting the digital download only thing whilst still insisting that you had to have had a retail release to take part.

It would surely only be a few years after MS and Sony go entirely download (and I'm not saying it will be next gen, maybe the gen after) before you start to run out of games coming from Bricks and Mortar publishers since the bulk of developers would have cut their teeth releasing on the PS3 and 4 and like Just Add Water don't want a publisher taking a cut just so they can use their ident.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Plamsa wing » 19 Apr 2013, 13:15

OXM ETboy wrote:I'm in the process of writing a massive Oddworld feature, based on the chat with Stewart. It'll appear in the mag first, probably, and we may produce a few others to address particular (cough) topics. There's stuff in here that's going to make Oddworld fans very, very happy.

Ya damnable tease! :wink:
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57