to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Attack of the clones: nine of the best, cheapest rip-offs on

Your comments on our articles.

Our pick of Xbox 360's most derivative titles

In this week's round-up of cutthroat bargains. we pay homage to games that pay homage to other games by ripping their guts out and stuffing them hurriedly into their own, echoing, under-nourished abdominal cavities. It's tempting to censure developers when they transplant ideas from other titles - but at the end of the day, borrowing often entails improvement, and if an idea's good, why not have more of it?... read more

Postby Metalrodent » 19 Apr 2013, 16:20

I think I saw that they'd released a multiplayer version of White Noise - a OXM Lets Play pehaps?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby FishyGinger » 19 Apr 2013, 16:23

I instantly thought of binary domain when I saw that title.

So is that slender rip off any good?
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Re: Attack of the clones: nine of the best, cheapest rip-off

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Apr 2013, 16:25

It's only 80 MP and there's a free trial version. Have at it, you miserly scalliwags!
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby TomAZ600 » 19 Apr 2013, 18:49

OXM ETboy wrote:It's only 80 MP and there's a free trial version. Have at it, you miserly scalliwags!

Just get the trial version, since the game is so short the trial is all you need. Then when you have it get someone who has never played video games and get them playing it, or even someone who plays video games, you will never tire of the reaction people get. :twisted:
TomAZ600 35

Postby msbhvn » 19 Apr 2013, 20:53

It's about time Castlevania LoS got another mention, it's been what, six weeks? :lol:

Sure it's criminal that more people haven't played it, but at least Konami and MercurySteam are making a sequel that'll hopefully get more notice.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby xPearse » 19 Apr 2013, 22:08

Let me just correct you here.

2. Lost Odyssey
It's every inch the work of a man who used to make Final Fantasy games.

Umm Lex Luthor WRONG. It is only the guy who did the music and not people who used to make final fantasy games. What did you just look at the front cover and read the text on it.You can't call it a cheap but good knockoff, it's like saying any third person cover shooter is ripping off gears of war even though there have been third person cover shooters before gears of war. Every RPG has their own version of Phoenix downs as it's more or less common, don't know if final fantasy started it but does anybody really care.
xPearse 26

Postby msbhvn » 19 Apr 2013, 22:34

xPearse wrote:Let me just correct you here.

2. Lost Odyssey
It's every inch the work of a man who used to make Final Fantasy games.

Umm Lex Luthor WRONG. It is only the guy who did the music and not people who used to make final fantasy games. What did you just look at the front cover and read the text on it.You can't call it a cheap but good knockoff, it's like saying any third person cover shooter is ripping off gears of war even though there have been third person cover shooters before gears of war. Every RPG has their own version of Phoenix downs as it's more or less common, don't know if final fantasy started it but does anybody really care.

And let me correct you...

From Wikipedia: Lost Odyssey was produced by Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of the famed Final Fantasy series.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 20 Apr 2013, 00:48

I played Most Wanted for a couple of days and then went back to playing Burnout Paradise.

Most Wanted's level design just isn't as smooth, nor does it seems as large. Not nearly as many epic ramps or exciting playgrounds as Paradise City (I do enjoy the Easter egg hunt for the cars, though).

Most importantly, it makes the same mistake that every goddamn sandbox game makes: It doesn't allow you to just press a button and retry the race you just lost. You have to spend 5 minutes driving all the way back to the damn start of the race. So frustrating. Do it a few times and it really stops being fun.

I don't get it, decades of making games and developers still don't understand that nobody likes spending 5-10 minutes driving all the way back to where the mission starts. And they all do it. Every single open-world sandbox game. GTA started this shit and for some reason not a single developer has had the good sense to add a retry button that simply let's you restart the mission from where it began. Sheesh.
Lancer Armstrong 26

Postby greatest666 » 22 Apr 2013, 00:10

Lancer Armstrong wrote:I played Most Wanted for a couple of days and then went back to playing Burnout Paradise.

Most Wanted's level design just isn't as smooth, nor does it seems as large. Not nearly as many epic ramps or exciting playgrounds as Paradise City (I do enjoy the Easter egg hunt for the cars, though).

Most importantly, it makes the same mistake that every goddamn sandbox game makes: It doesn't allow you to just press a button and retry the race you just lost. You have to spend 5 minutes driving all the way back to the damn start of the race. So frustrating. Do it a few times and it really stops being fun.

I don't get it, decades of making games and developers still don't understand that nobody likes spending 5-10 minutes driving all the way back to where the mission starts. And they all do it. Every single open-world sandbox game. GTA started this shit and for some reason not a single developer has had the good sense to add a retry button that simply let's you restart the mission from where it began. Sheesh.

Erm, you can press start or right on the d-pad and choose retry :?
greatest666 4

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 25 Apr 2013, 12:11

See, that's what happens when you don't give instruction manuals with the games anymore.
Lancer Armstrong 26