to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox handheld plans revealed? Microsoft patent brings Xbox 3

Your comments on our articles.

Manufacturer to go fully portable next gen?

One more news story before you sign off for the week. Those long-dead rumours about Microsoft's plans for Xbox handheld gaming? Consider them revived, though not perhaps in the form you're expecting.... read more

Xbox handheld plans revealed? Microsoft patent brings Xbox 3

Postby LNT73 » 19 Apr 2013, 19:31

Might be a while coming out, still waiting for all the features promised on Smartglass.
LNT73 20

Re: Xbox handheld plans revealed? Microsoft patent brings Xb

Postby Windowlicker79 » 19 Apr 2013, 23:02

I wonder if this could actually be the "mini" Xbox 360 without a disc drive that is currently riding the rumour train?
It'd make sense as it would fit in with the other rumour that the mini xbox would somehow attach to the next-gen Xbox and play 360 game discs using its blu-ray drive. It'd also justify owning both consoles.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Postby Dave2123 » 20 Apr 2013, 02:19

Windowlicker79 wrote:I wonder if this could actually be the "mini" Xbox 360 without a disc drive that is currently riding the rumour train?

That is a very interesting concept. Well pointed out. If this is the case I hope that you will be able to play 360 games on the portable but not be restricted to a small screen if you want to play on your telly. However, if the "mini" has a screen you might be restricted to that screen, although it seems rather silly if you're plugging the mini into the durango for it to not play on the telly. Microsoft's reveal is sounding as though it will be very interesting, which is probably what they wanted; some rumours getting out, ps revealing first, prolonging the wait. This could turn out to be a very shrewd move by Microsoft's marketing and PR teams.
Dave2123 29

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Apr 2013, 10:43

Arcade only? I'm not into portables myself. Had a gameboy color once. Yes, no 'u', the bastards. Had Tom & Jerry (awesome) and Men in Black.

Unless you're a train traveller or always on the move, I find a console to be best. Though on a sunny day like this the Wii Us portable screen would be good...
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby SilentDark » 20 Apr 2013, 15:02

port over fully functional Xbox 360 titles to handheld at minimal expense

I take it MS were unaware of the train wreck that was the PSP then.

Assuming that this means "proper" 360 titles and not the indie or arcade stuff then....no, this will not work, Sony assumed there was a handheld gaming ghetto and decided to bring PS2 style gaming to the pocket generation, it didn't work because handheld gaming needs to be treated as something else entirely, something Nintendo understood.

If Microsoft wants to enter the handheld wars then it needs to set up a completely different department for handheld gaming, if they just want to port over their 360 library it simply won't work for the variety of reasons the PSP didn't work.

Also touch screen emulation for 360 controls....it's almost as if MS are trying to fail with this.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby Thos. » 20 Apr 2013, 22:46

Fail plan: Touch controls and £30 a game

Succeed plan: 360 controller split in two with a 7 inch screen in between, £5 a game. It'd make millions, and will never happen.
Thos. 46

Postby battfink83 » 21 Apr 2013, 21:17

maybe their just making a wii u type controller for the new xbox?
battfink83 53

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Apr 2013, 14:06

SilentDark wrote:
port over fully functional Xbox 360 titles to handheld at minimal expense

I take it MS were unaware of the train wreck that was the PSP then.

PSP has, and still is, a huge success in Japan. Last time I looked it was even out performing the Vita. I guess the handheld ghetto you referenced is Tokyo :wink:
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 23 Apr 2013, 19:05

CunningSmile wrote:
PSP has, and still is, a huge success in Japan. Last time I looked it was even out performing the Vita. I guess the handheld ghetto you referenced is Tokyo :wink:

Largly due to two factors, RPGs and Monster Hunter. But would MS create decent JRPGs for their handheld market or just port over CoD and Halo, Sony operated under the misunderstanding that what handhelds needed was ports from the console games they had on the PS2, it's telling that the best games on the PSP are either enhanced ports of older games (Final Fantasy IV, Tactics Ogre) or games created exclusively for the system (God Eater, Dissidia) even so many games don't come over to the west because the PSP has long since died a death here and it's not in any company's best interest to create a device that will only ever succeed in one region.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66