to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed 4 preview - whaling, Templar secrets, the e

Your comments on our articles.

"In short, this could very well be the start of a new trilogy."

Well, we weren't expecting the number four so soon. Assassin's Creed III was trumpeted as a clean break from the annual release of Assassin's Creed II's sub-trilogy. It had been in development for years, we were reassured, featuring a completely new style, from another place and another time. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is set in the same era as Connor Kenway's story, but the action has drifted ever so gently south, and backwards in time.... read more

Assassin's Creed 4 preview - whaling, Templar secrets, the e

Postby Grummy » 20 Apr 2013, 09:34

Bring. It. On.

Great write up El Loggo.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Re: Assassin's Creed 4 preview - whaling, Templar secrets, t

Postby TomAZ600 » 20 Apr 2013, 12:39

Come on Ubisoft, seriously? Some of us haven't even got into AC3 yet because of the extortionate prices that were put on it. It's turning into a third person adventure CoD, and I feel sad. Let the series rest for a couple of years, build up the hype, build something new and create a game along the lines of AC2 (bloody brilliant). Brotherhood and Revelations killed the series in my opinion, we weren't even assassinating people anymore, we were just in a 16th Century GTA (I bet its the bloody multiplayer modes that have stopped work on a GOOD story mode, when will developers learn). And to reference Log, give us another Beyond Good and Evil, the first one was brilliant.
TomAZ600 35

Postby Metalratex » 20 Apr 2013, 17:47

A new trilogy? =/
Metalratex 25

Postby Dave2123 » 21 Apr 2013, 02:01

I partially agree with the previous comments, but I still can't understand why everyone thinks 2 was the best; for me, 3 was better. It was more challenging - the previous games were tediously repetitive and boring (3 was still quite repetitive). The gameplay was almost identical, if not slightly better in 3 - the fighting definitely was (I actually died a few times). The story was slightly better in 2, but they were both essentially find information and kill Templars. However, 3 was based around the events of the revolution, which, for Americans, might be a bit boring - I assume you're taught a lot about it in school, but I really didn't know anything about it, so it was really fascinating to play a game who's story is centered like that - it's one of the reasons I love the series so much.

People complain about 3's story, but it is based around true events, so Ubisoft were tied down a bit. People, also, complain about the free running and how the cities and buildings weren't very good. I can't really see this argument; the free running was almost the same as in the other games and the cities and buildings were based on how they were actually like in that time. Ubisoft have teams of historians working on the games and maps from that time to make them as real to life as possible. If you don't like them then the real people to complain to are the 17th and 18th century architects who designed them. Connor is said to be boring and uncharismatic, which I suppose he is, but I don't think it changed the game drastically. It was an interesting choice of person - an american indian who's lands and people are being disrupted and destroyed, but restrained and contemplative is probably what he'd be.

Also, Beyond Good and Evil was a great game - I'd buy a sequel.
Dave2123 29

Postby Insaneyokel » 22 Apr 2013, 14:59

To be honest assassins creed started life in a very promising manner, the second one was good to. Then there were the glorified extensions, which made me start going meh. When 3 came out I was not even remotely bothered. Some games companies need to understand there can sometimes be too much of a good thing and they will end up destroying a franchise that was promising in the pursuit of a quick buck. Lets be honest there will always be people who will buy it. How many people complain about EA and yet still buy their games. I just hope this is not the direction that the rest of the games industry is going to taken :(
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Setsuna-san » 22 Jul 2013, 14:48

I personally enjoyed the naval missions in ACIII (it does have a few kinks that need working out however) but from what i've seen of ACIV they have worked through them, leaving quite an interesting system. I haven't seen gameplay like this from any other titles, it will be nice to have something new. (If its as good as it looks)
Setsuna-san 10

Postby UlysessJDuckett » 27 Jul 2013, 13:06

This looks like it's going to be the best edition of the series. I'm calling it now!! Can't wait to get on the Jackdaw and sail into adventure..
UlysessJDuckett 23