to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Should the next gen Xbox offer backwards compatibility?

Your comments on our articles.

A deal-breaker or a luxury? Craig Owens ponders

With rumours chasing after and mutually annihilating one another like polarised subatomic particles being fired down a large hadron collidor, now seems as good a time as many to ponder whether the next Xbox should - let alone will - offer backwards compatibility. Obviously it would be very nice if your expensive new game machine was compatible with your library of existing games. But is it a realistic expectation, or a foolish nave hope?... read more

Postby Darth Mousemat » 20 Apr 2013, 12:16

A lot of people have spent a lot of money on 360 Games me being one of them. For it all to suddenly become unplayable without completely switching consoles wouldn't be cool.

Not....

Cool.
Darth Mousemat 24

Re: Should the next gen Xbox offer backwards compatibility?

Postby Darth Mousemat » 20 Apr 2013, 12:18

As a side note I personally think we don't need to jump to next gen just yet...There's still a lot of potential and OOmph to come out of the 360.
Darth Mousemat 24

Postby OXM ETboy » 20 Apr 2013, 12:19

Darth Mousemat wrote:As a side note I personally think we don't need to jump to next gen just yet...There's still a lot of potential and OOmph to come out of the 360.

That's how I tend to approach generation jumps too. Wake me when the price drops ;)

Backwards compat would be nice, but it's no deal-breaker for me. I'm not planning on getting rid of the 360.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Apr 2013, 12:26

I'm not planning on instantly binning my 360, but some backwards compatibility would be nice - especially as my 360 wont live forever.
I also do admit that I'm not likely to replay all of my games again, but there are a few classics (I'm talking, Bioshock, Halo 3 and such) that I would most likely want to replay, so it would be nice if there were some way. Hell i wouldn't grumble if they bought out a £10 external DVD drive which could be used to play them.
(more to the point, what do I do if I want to replay Halo 2, Crimson Skies and the other original classics I kept? xD)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby DGR1980 » 20 Apr 2013, 12:27

I dont see the point in backwards compatibility. Its not like my 360 is suddenly going to stop working when they release the nextbox
DGR1980 39

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Apr 2013, 12:28

Should it? Yes, a next xbox should do everything ideally, but it's not practical or cheap. - Do we need it? Not really - just keep your 360. Will it? No one knows.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby TomAZ600 » 20 Apr 2013, 12:29

I'm just going to keep my 360, since the 720 probably won't allow me to play Original BC Xbox games, which I nearly have more of than actual 360 games. Plus, If what I heard about the "always online" thing is true, we are going to have some trouble if Microsoft decides to switch off 360 servers once the 720 has come out.
TomAZ600 34

Postby fracturedrich » 20 Apr 2013, 12:30

As a confessed hoarder of games i would love for the next one to have bc,but it is not a deal breaker for me.I will keep my current xbox which i bought brand new 3 weeks ago as my other ones disk tray stopped working after 2 years of being treated badly by regular long marathons.I no if i keep it up till launch day it wont be worth much to trade so i will keep my old one and just play my old games on that.To be honest though ime becoming more and more fussy about which games i keep until things are confirmed one way or the other.For me though ime in a good place with gaming,in fact i will go as far to say ime enjoying playing more than ive ever done,so ime in no rush for the year to end whatever ms decide to do.
fracturedrich 47

Postby PonderingWalrus » 20 Apr 2013, 12:33

I'm in the "would like backwards compatibility" camp but I still recognise it's a luxury, not a necessity.

As long as Microsoft continue to support the 360 on some level after the arrival of the NextBox (which they almost undoubtedly will), the lack of backwards compatibility shouldn't be a problem.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Droidsbane » 20 Apr 2013, 12:59

I'm using the pro console so if it breaks down on me I couldn't afford to buy both a Gerty and a replacement xbox. it'd be handier financially if I could continue to play my library of 360 games without buying 2 consoles.
Droidsbane 33

Postby msbhvn » 20 Apr 2013, 13:21

If it were a simple changing of the CPU clock speed, like Wii U -> Wii -> Gamecube, then it would be silly not to. But with the Xbox going from x86 to the 360's PowerPC and now to x86-64, it's definitely more trouble than it's worth. After a year or so, no one will care anyway.

The 360's backwards compatibility was something they shouldn't have bothered with as it often didn't work properly and had so many limitations that even if the game "worked", the 50/60Hz thing usually stopped you playing on an HD TV anyway.

One thing I would like, that may be possible, is downloadable original Xbox games, like PSN's PS1 and PS2 Classics range. I know a lot of the best Xbox games have been re-released in HD and rights issues will probably prevent a lot of others being on the service, but there are a few rarer Xbox games I would like to get hold of.
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby waddon1 » 20 Apr 2013, 13:43

If it isn't backwards compatible I'm not getting it simple as that.
waddon1 1

Postby jdsport04 » 20 Apr 2013, 14:13

I really would like backwards compatibility. Think of it, Im going to buy GTA 5 just a few months before im going to get the nextbox, and GTA is a game you play for years! I stilll play GTA 4 today, and GTA 5 is going to be one of the best games of the year, if not best. And Im gonna play it most of the time probably and I would rather play on my new console at that point, so I wouldnt want to be switching off my new console to play on the old!
jdsport04 6

Postby mctelinde » 20 Apr 2013, 14:21

Darth Mousemat wrote:A lot of people have spent a lot of money on 360 Games me being one of them. For it all to suddenly become unplayable without completely switching consoles wouldn't be cool.

Not....

Cool.

If you purchase the next-gen XBox then you will be completely switching consoles, though.
mctelinde 2

Postby Bubblebeard JS » 20 Apr 2013, 14:40

Darth Mousemat wrote:A lot of people have spent a lot of money on 360 Games me being one of them. For it all to suddenly become unplayable without completely switching consoles wouldn't be cool.

Not....

Cool.

can you honestly say that you played your xbox games on your 360?? i mean yeah sure for maybe a few weeks because you could, but when was the last time you put an xbox game in your 360??
Bubblebeard JS 38

Next