to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dead Island: Riptide Xbox 360

Your comments on our articles.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Dead Island, the videogame adaptation of the popular trailer, divided opinions like machetes divide zombie skulls. For every gushing advocate of Techland's head-stoving simulator there was another screaming into their fist as the same action loop played out a million times to a backdrop of progress-blocking bugs and glitches. Well, prepare to gush or scream afresh, for Riptide is more of the same.... read more

Postby hujiki » 22 Apr 2013, 10:38

Thats a real shame, i was looking forward to this, But now considering it, it seems like they added a big expansion pack to the first game , Not worth my money. I'll wait till its like £10 or so.
hujiki 28

Postby kronk10 » 22 Apr 2013, 10:39

could of guessed this was gonna be crap the original game which i have is soooooooo boring even the zombie killing is naff i only play it online with my brother as we can have a laugh while playing it and that is its only good feature its so bad its funny to play!
kronk10 43

Re: Dead Island: Riptide Xbox 360

Postby PonderingWalrus » 22 Apr 2013, 10:45

Just curious but, had the first Dead Island not being released and this was the first installment of the series, would it have scored higher? And if so, how much higher?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby fracturedrich » 22 Apr 2013, 11:24

I get from this review that you are not a big fan of the first one,but for those who are is there anything there for them.This is not a very good review in my eyes for a game of this size just a few words is not going to cut it for me.Ime not saying nothing bad and i respect peoples opinion but is it really as bad as aliens or walking dead which deserved to be slammed,if it is as bad then i get it.I have not pre order it but for people who have are you saying lose your deposit and go for something else.
fracturedrich 47

Postby schwepterbrowser » 22 Apr 2013, 11:29

I started the first recently and wish I hadn't; it's deadly boring, even in co-op with friends. I had no interest in the game anyway, but it won't even get a bargain bin look-in now.
schwepterbrowser 56

Postby Grummy » 22 Apr 2013, 11:41

Having read the review and seen the score, I can see this actually being a solid 7 and 4 seems brutally unjust. I mean really, a score that bad I can't honestly believe this is an impartial review.

You criticize the game for being slightly better than the original and being more of the same and punish massively. HELLO some people enjoyed the original and are happy for more. Also, worth mentioning games that get a lot praise like Halo and Gears of War, they've been the same all the way through with small incremental changes and aren't penalized for it. Double standards ahoy. This publication scored the original a 7, a very fair score, and this game is better than that? Logically it should get a better score, but I can understand it not, if you're judging it by how much it didn't fix rather than how much it did, I could even understand you dropping a point if you were unhappy that the improvements were small and felt they should have done more, but a 4??!!!

It would be one thing if the game was noticeably worse, or just outright crap, but if its an improvement over an already decent, entertaining game then I have to question the logic and the impartiality.

And yes, scores don't generally mean anything, it's the bulk of the review that matters, but when the review quality is poor and the score doesn't match up with the review, questions have to be asked.

This is just about the worst review I have read in a long long time and is not at all worthy of being on this site or part of this publication.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Bobo888 » 22 Apr 2013, 12:23

I think this game like the 1st is going to be loved or hated. The review even said as much in the opening paragraph. But judging the by the rest of this review this person is obviously in the hated it camp. IGN have a review from the other side of the fence and I think my opinions of the 1st game are more in line with his than this reviewer. I shall be keeping my preorder I think.
Bobo888 37

Postby Don Barefoot » 22 Apr 2013, 13:06

So which review am I to believe. On the other part of your magazine reviews they gave the game a 7.5. http://www.oxmonline.com/dead-island-riptide-review So which is it guys
Don Barefoot 29

Postby ItchyRash » 22 Apr 2013, 14:37

Don Barefoot wrote:So which review am I to believe. On the other part of your magazine reviews they gave the game a 7.5. http://www.oxmonline.com/dead-island-riptide-review So which is it guys

This is the UK site, the other is the US one. Two different reviewers can give you differing opinions. Having never really been on the US one I must say the UK one is much slicker and better presented which surprises me
ItchyRash 42

Postby Insaneyokel » 22 Apr 2013, 14:42

This review seems overly harsh, especially when you say it is slightly better than the original in parts.
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Alaric14 » 22 Apr 2013, 14:54

Grummy wrote:Having read the review and seen the score, I can see this actually being a solid 7 and 4 seems brutally unjust. I mean really, a score that bad I can't honestly believe this is an impartial review.

You criticize the game for being slightly better than the original and being more of the same and punish massively. HELLO some people enjoyed the original and are happy for more. Also, worth mentioning games that get a lot praise like Halo and Gears of War, they've been the same all the way through with small incremental changes and aren't penalized for it. Double standards ahoy. This publication scored the original a 7, a very fair score, and this game is better than that? Logically it should get a better score, but I can understand it not, if you're judging it by how much it didn't fix rather than how much it did, I could even understand you dropping a point if you were unhappy that the improvements were small and felt they should have done more, but a 4??!!!

It would be one thing if the game was noticeably worse, or just outright crap, but if its an improvement over an already decent, entertaining game then I have to question the logic and the impartiality.

And yes, scores don't generally mean anything, it's the bulk of the review that matters, but when the review quality is poor and the score doesn't match up with the review, questions have to be asked.

This is just about the worst review I have read in a long long time and is not at all worthy of being on this site or part of this publication.

As brutal a comment as this is, I'd be inclined to agree.

Dead Island: Riptide does a number of things quite well that Dead Island didn't. The analogue control system, for example, was more intuitive and reduced weapon flailing by a significant enough percentage that I wasn't constantly muttering, "f**k's sake...", whenever I tried to hit something. It wasn't by any means seamless, but it puts Skyrim's melee combat system of 'mash right trigger' down for the count.

The improvements are small, but the game has some solid ideas. Anything from a five to a (in my opinion very unlikely) seven and a little more context wouldn't have been a bad idea. That being said, a negative score could be entirely justified as well. I just don't think you do that here.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 22 Apr 2013, 15:06

This review makes little sense, worse still, appears biased, and I would suggest that there is little doubt that it has been conducted by the wrong person. I have every single copy of this magazine and always read it cover to cover, I have read many reviews that I have disagreed with, and have often sat incredulous (most frequently on the toilet! :oops: ) at why it was that a particular person was given a particular game to review – but this one pretty much tops it; not only because it is lacking in detail, but also because of the contradiction between the (poorly written!) review and the score given. There often seems to be a mantra that the next iteration has to be bigger and better, but most of are really seeking more of the same that we enjoyed in the earlier iteration. Let’s be blunt, there is little difference between the original Halo and Halo 4, little has changed between Gears and Gears 3, and don’t get me started on the Call of Duty games for churning out exactly the same game every 12 months.

Opinions (and therefore reviews) are subjective, I get that, but to ask someone to conduct a review on a genre that they are apparently prepositioned to dislike is an injustice to the game and to those of us that read the reviews. This review would have been better suited towards someone that have played and enjoyed the first game (and there are a lot of people that liked the first game), then at least what had remained the same, that which had been improved upon, and that which should have been fixed but hadn’t, could have been highlighted. All reviews should be conducted by people who would actually consider buying the said game (which is the mind-set that we have as readers of the reviews), rather than someone who has no interest in the game or genre.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby FishyGinger » 22 Apr 2013, 15:22

I read that as it doesn't do a great deal to improve on the first game and worse than any bug or glitch the game is boring. 4 seems fairly justified but then I've not played the first game.

The review could do with more fleshing out certainly but it didn't read as a 7. That would indicate it as being quite good as opposed to average.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Bezza89 » 22 Apr 2013, 15:42

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Let’s be blunt, there is little difference between the original Halo and Halo 4, little has changed between Gears and Gears 3, and don’t get me started on the Call of Duty games for churning out exactly the same game every 12 months.

I think the difference is you're making great games similar to previous great games, whereas this is making an average and buggy game... again. This reviewer may have scored the first game a four too, so comparing previous scores doesn't work (I wondered why trials evo got less than the first) the bottom line is it's not a good game in this reviewers opinion. Instead of a four they should have just put 'Shit'. Or, quite shit.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 67

Postby PonderingWalrus » 22 Apr 2013, 16:29

Bezza89 wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:Let’s be blunt, there is little difference between the original Halo and Halo 4, little has changed between Gears and Gears 3, and don’t get me started on the Call of Duty games for churning out exactly the same game every 12 months.

I think the difference is you're making great games similar to previous great games, whereas this is making an average and buggy game... again. This reviewer may have scored the first game a four too, so comparing previous scores doesn't work (I wondered why trials evo got less than the first) the bottom line is it's not a good game in this reviewers opinion. Instead of a four they should have just put 'Shit'. Or, quite shit.

Saying the reviewer might have scored the first game a four too suggests that either the reviewer of this game or its predecessor could have been somewhat biased. I'm not saying all reviewers have to match up their scores with each other or anything ridiculous but, of the reviews I have read for this game, this one has been especially brutal score-wise which doesn't make sense to me and makes me think it came about from personal hatred of the game.

I was quite shocked to see the 4 at the end because that would imply this is a bad game whereas the 7 the original scored lead me to believe it was a decent but flawed game. To say that the games are so similar and then rate this one so much lower just doesn't add up.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Next