to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet, 'M

Your comments on our articles.

$60 new - get the extra content free by pre-ordering

As is Nature's Way, Saints Row 4 has a special preorder-baiting edition with exclusive in-game content. It's known as the Commander in Chief Edition, and goes large on patriotic props like eagles that shoot rockets and a gun made of all the other guns. Witness the first image, below.... read more

Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet, 'M

Postby hujiki » 23 Apr 2013, 11:15

Very Interesting... That Eagle Jet looks awesome....Imagine that in BF4.
hujiki 28
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 17 Jan 2012, 11:55
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 23 Apr 2013, 11:32

Hi Edwin, sorry, but I'm going to be honest, in view of recent events, your subtitle (Prove your love for these United States by blowing them up) is in very poor taste...
User avatar
AllusiveTurtle 44
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 07 May 2011, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby OXM ETboy » 23 Apr 2013, 11:47

See where you're coming from. I've edited it.
User avatar
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 18:07

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby FishyGinger » 23 Apr 2013, 11:53

Really?
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4623
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby Gazisdaman » 23 Apr 2013, 17:20

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Hi Edwin, sorry, but I'm going to be honest, in view of recent events, your subtitle (Prove your love for these United States by blowing them up) is in very poor taste...


Wow. I can't portray in words what I feel about this, I'll attempt to sum it up in a few, oversensitive, killjoy, snively, nitpicky, misunderstanding. That's not even close but I don't want to write a two page essay that I feel is necessary, please understand it was very hard for me to suppress my rage here.
Gazisdaman 35
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 01 Nov 2011, 00:18
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 23 Apr 2013, 18:47

Gazisdaman wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:Hi Edwin, sorry, but I'm going to be honest, in view of recent events, your subtitle (Prove your love for these United States by blowing them up) is in very poor taste...


Wow. I can't portray in words what I feel about this, I'll attempt to sum it up in a few, oversensitive, killjoy, snively, nitpicky, misunderstanding. That's not even close but I don't want to write a two page essay that I feel is necessary, please understand it was very hard for me to suppress my rage here.


I fail to understand your rage - I'm not being over sensitive - but my brother-in-law lives in Boston and ran in the marathon - he was traumatised by the events there. Just because it doesn't affect you personally, doesn't mean that others are also immune. How am I a killjoy? Or for that matter snively. Are you actually aware of the meaning of these words? I made an observation that the comment was in poor taste, no more, and I have seen more than one person from the States on this website; the internet knows no distance and can be viewed by all, no matter where you are from. I am not entirely sure what your problem is, but lack of consideration for the feelings of others may be one of them.
User avatar
AllusiveTurtle 44
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 07 May 2011, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby OXM ETboy » 23 Apr 2013, 19:47

At the end of the day, it's a tiny modification for the sake of not reminding those affected of a horrible thing. It's not like AT asked me to pull the article.
User avatar
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 18:07

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby SilentDark » 24 Apr 2013, 00:02

Just found out from her twitter that Laura Bailey is apparently back in the booth for this one, so that's me sold straight away. As for that...other topic that has arisen here I shall be remaining silent on that, my views on such things are controversial to say the least.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2675
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby Gazisdaman » 24 Apr 2013, 13:50

I fail to understand your rage - I'm not being over sensitive - but my brother-in-law lives in Boston and ran in the marathon - he was traumatised by the events there. Just because it doesn't affect you personally, doesn't mean that others are also immune. How am I a killjoy? Or for that matter snively. Are you actually aware of the meaning of these words? I made an observation that the comment was in poor taste, no more, and I have seen more than one person from the States on this website; the internet knows no distance and can be viewed by all, no matter where you are from. I am not entirely sure what your problem is, but lack of consideration for the feelings of others may be one of them.


You made a connection that was not there, playful comments about the explosive nature of SR4 should not be connected simply because it contains the word explosion. I don't think the comment was in poor taste, I was in central London at the time of the 7/7 attacks and was caught in the initial confusion but that didn't make me censor anyone making a comment about them. My problem is everyone's attitude everytime something like this happens, I don't want to have to censor everything I say, this was a comment about a video game and just because it shares a glimmer of resemblance to recent events that should not warrant offence. It is irrelevant whether someone is from Boston or London as to their consideration of this, wherever people have lost their lives is in my mind a tragedy, this does not make me want to change my demeanour and I resent anyone who forces me to do so.
Gazisdaman 35
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 01 Nov 2011, 00:18
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby SilentDark » 24 Apr 2013, 14:16

I can see this getting kinda bad really quickly :|

I can see why some people might get a little upset by the original tag line but it was obvious that it wasn't even a reference to the events in Boston and by doing this kind of censoring aren't we giving these people what they want, the satisfaction that they are going to have a far reaching effect on the way we live our lives.

Keep calm and carry on, don't give these scumbags what they want, our fear.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2675
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 24 Apr 2013, 15:05

SilentDark wrote:I can see this getting kinda bad really quickly :|

I can see why some people might get a little upset by the original tag line but it was obvious that it wasn't even a reference to the events in Boston and by doing this kind of censoring aren't we giving these people what they want, the satisfaction that they are going to have a far reaching effect on the way we live our lives.

Keep calm and carry on, don't give these scumbags what they want, our fear.


I actually agree with what you’re saying, and I can assure you that having served in Bomb Disposal, served in the Falklands and spent 25 years in the Police, I have seen and experienced many terrible things (death, suicide, murder, dismemberment, cot death to name but a few), I am no shrinking violet. I was actually thinking of the sensitivities of others who may have been affected by recent events. I do not think for one moment think that Edwin was attempting to link his tagline with those events, and accept that it most likely didn’t even cross his mind, but if there is a possibility that someone affected by the those events could have taken offence to the tagline, (something that I’m sure Edwin wouldn’t have wanted) was there really any harm in pointing out that it may have been in poor taste? Changing it hasn’t altered the article in any way; it’s just now there is no risk of anyone being offended.
User avatar
AllusiveTurtle 44
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 07 May 2011, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby FishyGinger » 24 Apr 2013, 15:32

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Changing it hasn’t altered the article in any way; it’s just now there is no risk of anyone being offended.


I wouldn't go that far. Show the piece on the bbc and I bet someone writes in to complain. Problem is where do we stop censoring in case we offend someone? Who's to say what is and isn't offensive?
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4623
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby SilentDark » 24 Apr 2013, 15:56

As Fish has pointed out where will it end. Saints Row 3 had lots of street level explosions, SR4 is going to follow suite, should the game get cancelled because it might offend someone? Should repeats of 24 be suspended until we're told it's fine again? The problem is we're raising a generation who think it's fine to hold on to their trauma and weakness rather than overcome it and move on. I was bullied relentlessly as a child, I frequently ran home in tears, the thought of taking my own life never entered my head. The world is getting crueller and crueller and many people either cannot or will not face it, but if they hope to survive people need to toughen up. I've never seen large scale death, I've never faced the dangers of conflict but I have suffered and I know loss. It would do a disservice to the people I lost if I forced others to sacrifice their liberties for the sake of easing my suffering.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2675
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 24 Apr 2013, 16:01

FishyGinger wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:Changing it hasn’t altered the article in any way; it’s just now there is no risk of anyone being offended.


I wouldn't go that far. Show the piece on the bbc and I bet someone writes in to complain. Problem is where do we stop censoring in case we offend someone? Who's to say what is and isn't offensive?


I don't agree with censorship at all, and I don't believe that is what is at stake here. If Edwin was wanting to make a point, then he would have been perfectly entitled to do so, and I would have said nothing more on the subject. I made an observation and I assume that Edwin understood what I was saying. I agree that people can (and do!) complain about anything, but that is not what I was doing, I wasn't complaining, I was making an observation. My thoughts were twofold; firstly, would someone affected by the tagline be offended by the comment (that in fairness added nothing to the actual aticle)? And would Edwin (who I am certain meant nothing by the tagline) want to unwittingly offend someone, and then face critiscim for having done so?

Maybe I think things to deeply, but I was simply attempting to be considerate.
User avatar
AllusiveTurtle 44
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 07 May 2011, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Saints Row 4 Commander in Chief Edition boasts Eagle jet

Postby FishyGinger » 24 Apr 2013, 16:22

AllusiveTurtle wrote:
I don't agree with censorship at all, and I don't believe that is what is at stake here. If Edwin was wanting to make a point, then he would have been perfectly entitled to do so, and I would have said nothing more on the subject. I made an observation and I assume that Edwin understood what I was saying. I agree that people can (and do!) complain about anything, but that is not what I was doing, I wasn't complaining, I was making an observation. My thoughts were twofold; firstly, would someone affected by the tagline be offended by the comment (that in fairness added nothing to the actual aticle)? And would Edwin (who I am certain meant nothing by the tagline) want to unwittingly offend someone, and then face critiscim for having done so?

Maybe I think things to deeply, but I was simply attempting to be considerate.


Oh certainly don't get me wrong I wasn't saying what you said was wrong and due to the proximity of certain events it was probably the thing to do. I just don't want these guys and gals who are generally quite witty (would it be better if I left the 'generally quite' off :P ?) taking twice as long to write everything because they have to carefully comb through everything they've written to take out anything that might offend.

Quite how offensive you'd have to be to outdo a game in which you beat people to death with sex aids I don't know. I personally find it hard to tell how offensive something is as very little offends me. Hitting me with a wet fish might do the job but I'm fairly sure I could only muster up incredible amounts of indifference.

Edit: It might look something like this

Image
Last edited by FishyGinger on 24 Apr 2013, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4623
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]