to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Deep Silver "deeply sorry" for Dead Island Zombie Bait statu

Your comments on our articles.

Coming soon to a shelf near you: a decapitated bust

If you were anywhere near the internet on the 16th January, you may remember the storm in a teacup that ensued after a press release for Dead Island: Riptide revealed plans to ship a grotesque, decapitated torso as part of their 'Zombie Bait' edition.... read more

Postby Theron284 » 23 Apr 2013, 17:17

I'm sorry, but people shouldn't be making a big deal out of it in the first place. It's a friggin' zombie game for crying out loud! It reminds me of those idiotic parents who buy 18-rated games for their kids, then try to sue the developer for daring to expose their children to such things.
Theron284 5

Postby Rista B » 23 Apr 2013, 17:25

Maybe they will apologize again now that it's been shipped?

Something along the lines of "We are still so sorry about offending whoever we offended and if you are so inclined here is a list of places where customers can go pick up one of the offending items. We really appreciate and are sensitive to our fans feedback, even if it does not seem that way."
Rista B 13

Re: Deep Silver "deeply sorry" for Dead Island Zombie Bait s

Postby Metalrodent » 23 Apr 2013, 18:08

I don't see the problem, it's an 18+ game with strong blood and gore aimed squarely at teenage males - why should people be disgusted when they *shock* aim a preorder bonus at said audience
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby SilentDark » 23 Apr 2013, 18:44

A little grotesque even for my tastes but I still feel it was nothing to appologise for, if they felt it was too offensive for sale after complaints they should have recalled them. This shows that the whole apology was just something they felt they should say but what they should have said was "Look, sorry if you guys are offended by this but it's in keeping with the tone of the franchise and if you don't want one decorating your shelf there is always the vanilla version available anyway. You don't have to purchase one, you don't even have to purchase the game, and to be honest if this zombie bust offends you it's probably best you stay far away from this game anyway, it clearly isn't for you." Deep Silver, my friends, you either need to have the courage of your convictions, or if you are really terrified of complaints then perhaps you should look at acquiring the My Little Pony franchise or something.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby Leopold5totch » 23 Apr 2013, 19:04

I'm more offended by the price, I heard it's £90!!
Leopold5totch 31

Postby LuRcH18489 » 23 Apr 2013, 19:28

*fap fap fap*
LuRcH18489 31

Postby Tug » 23 Apr 2013, 20:55

I see dead women all the time. Doesn't bother me, being a serial killer and all.

On a serious note though, people shouldn't complain about trivial things like this. Try complaining about David Cameron and his fascist economy, not a plastic torso 8)
Tug 27

Postby Spiderless » 23 Apr 2013, 21:37

It is gross, offensive, and reflects the very worst of gaming culture. Anyone who owns one (let alone wants one) is a moron and should seriously consider going outdoors for once in their miserable life.
Spiderless 25

Postby Alaric14 » 23 Apr 2013, 23:18

This doesn't do much to alleviate the perception that the games industry is just a tad misogynistic, but the fact that Deep Silver apologised and shipped the product anyway suggests this was all planned as a sensationalist publicity boost. Talk about cashing in on the problem.

Let's see if I can make some predictions on future products Deep Silver might consider for Limited Collector's Editions:

"Saints Row IV: Space Dildo Edition"

Description: For the true gamer who values the colour purple as much as they want to give their girlfriends something to do while they're busy kicking ass in Saints Row IV, this 'beautifully hand-crafted pleasure piece' will provide hours of aesthetic and orgasmic pleasure. Makes for a lovely paperweight and burglar deterrent.

"Metro: Last Light 'Raider Rape Kit Edition'"

Description: Who needs a date when you have a soundproof room and a lot of duct tape? Enjoy recreating the darker moments of this post-apocalyptic thriller game story in the comfort of your own home with this 'unique, steel-forged restraining device' that will have all your neighbours talking. Hopefully not to the police. Steel tin with forgettable artwork design included.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby Sandbwoy » 24 Apr 2013, 00:36

I never did see what all the fuss was about, it's just a statue to promote the game. A zombie game. Just like the Skyrim collectors edition came with a dragon statue. What's the difference? Sheesh
Sandbwoy 24

Postby Drainwater » 24 Apr 2013, 01:14

Obviously somebody had a warehouse full of dismembered woman torsos and nothing to do with them... :wink:
Drainwater 35

Postby FishyGinger » 24 Apr 2013, 09:05

I maintain this should never have come out. Not because it's offensive though but because it looks so utterly crap.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Baryonyx » 24 Apr 2013, 16:11

The real question is, who gives a shit?
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 41

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Apr 2013, 16:20

Engage cynic mode:

Curious isn't it that when they needed to boost pre-publicity they issued a formal apology for something that very few people had heard of until they pointed it out by apologising, and now Deep Silver need to boost early sales after lack luster reviews they once again point out just how sorry they are, probably hoping that the non-gaming press plaster them all over the front pages since there is no such thing as bad publicity.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Insaneyokel » 25 Apr 2013, 12:49

I have a great idea, if you don't like it, don't buy it! Revolutionary I know but hey just a thought :wink:
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Next