to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bioshock Infinite DLC: six places I'd like Irrational to go

Your comments on our articles.

Back to Columbia, or off into the wide blue yonder?

Thanks to Elizabeth's ability to tear away the curtain between dimensions, Bioshock Infinite is the game where anything can happen. Well, in theory. In practice, it's a game subject to much the same tactical considerations as many of its shabbier contemporaries, where the concept of multiple realities serves as a fancier way of facilitating the introduction of bullets to skulls, fists to faces.... read more

Bioshock Infinite DLC: six places I'd like Irrational to go

Postby Metalrodent » 23 Apr 2013, 18:45

I don't know if I'd want a return to Rapture or not, it would be great I admit, and fill me (and many others) with nerdy goodness but after two games of it, I don't know...
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Re: Bioshock Infinite DLC: six places I'd like Irrational to

Postby ItchyRash » 24 Apr 2013, 13:52

Anywhere would be good. Just more Bioshock please. The story DLC for Bioshock 2 was arguably better than the main story so I have high hopes with whats to come. I still have to say though that personally I preferred Bioshocks 1 & 2 to Infinite. I'm still trying to get to grips with the story
ItchyRash 42

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Apr 2013, 14:29

ItchyRash wrote:Anywhere would be good. Just more Bioshock please. The story DLC for Bioshock 2 was arguably better than the main story so I have high hopes with whats to come. I still have to say though that personally I preferred Bioshocks 1 & 2 to Infinite. I'm still trying to get to grips with the story

My girlfriend is the same. I think part of it may be we've had years to mull over and discuss every aspect of the first two games working out every possible meaning through multiple play throughs. Come back in a few years after playing Infinite a few times and you may feel different.

And I'm also looking forward to the DLC. As you say Minerva's Den for 2 was arguably better than the main game, and the fact it's all story based rather than wasted on MP skins means I've actually splashed out on the season pass for once.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby ItchyRash » 24 Apr 2013, 15:11

CunningSmile wrote:My girlfriend is the same. I think part of it may be we've had years to mull over and discuss every aspect of the first two games working out every possible meaning through multiple play throughs. Come back in a few years after playing Infinite a few times and you may feel different.

And I'm also looking forward to the DLC. As you say Minerva's Den for 2 was arguably better than the main game, and the fact it's all story based rather than wasted on MP skins means I've actually splashed out on the season pass for once.

Yeah I certainly need to give the game more play throughs. I'm especially tempted to try 1999 mode even if the thought of the final battle on the airship is giving me nightmares. The game was no doubt a masterpiece in all but combat. I don't know if it's just that it wasn't so noticeable in 1 & 2 or if it's just feeling a bit on the tired side but that's where I felt the game was let down. For one, the vigors just weren't as cool as the plasmids from the previous games. They certainly know how to start a game though. I can't really remember the start of 2 but the beginnings of Bioshock 1 and Infinite are the most amazing i've experienced.

The season pass will be purchased though and I eagerly await a either more for the current story or stand alone experiences of other characters. Especially if they could add some better vigors.
ItchyRash 42

Postby FishyGinger » 24 Apr 2013, 15:45

I thought the combat was much better than 1 and to a lesser degree 2. It was quite slick really zipping about the lines, combining powers and whatnot.

Has anything been said on the DLC? Has it been confirmed it's story and not with something like the protector trials? There's always the scope for it not to be good so think I'll leave the pass be for awhile.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby ItchyRash » 24 Apr 2013, 16:00

FishyGinger wrote:I thought the combat was much better than 1 and to a lesser degree 2. It was quite slick really zipping about the lines, combining powers and whatnot.

Has anything been said on the DLC? Has it been confirmed it's story and not with something like the protector trials? There's always the scope for it not to be good so think I'll leave the pass be for awhile.

I think maybe half the problem was that playing it on Hard forced me to hang back and place safe rather than try anything too slick and fancy so maybe you're right and my play style is more to blame for the lacklustre combat. Although you too could have played it on hard probably showing that hiding behind a pillar and crying makes me rubbish.

The vigors definitely did let me down though.

I'm interested to know about what's been said on DLC so far. Not least how many pieces there will be for the season pass
ItchyRash 42

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Apr 2013, 16:06

The actual text when you buy the season pass says "...the player’s journey in the sky-city of Columbia with new stories, characters, abilities and weapons..." which I'm taking to be fairly story driven. They've also confirmed three pieces for the season pass, and since you get the usual power upgrade/weapon pack type DLC as a free bonus for buying the pass I don't think any of those three will be those.

That plus the fact Ken Levine is all about the story makes me think that a Protector Trials type thing is unlikely. Even if it does turn up, I've bought 3 for the price of 2 so it doesn't matter too much if one is naff.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 24 Apr 2013, 16:15

Stop it, I know what you're doing and I won't cave. I'm a bigger man than that. Must....not....buy....

I hate you.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Apr 2013, 16:16

I'm not trying to do anything, you just asked a question and I was answering

<Chuckle>, you're so weak
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby Drainwater » 24 Apr 2013, 23:19

I'd personally like to see more dealing with the rise and fall of Comstock. His part ended a little too abruptly for my taste. Yeah we have the basic story but I want the details.
Drainwater 35

Postby Battlemore » 28 Apr 2013, 06:01

You said in your 4th thought that;
" It's suggested throughout Infinite that Columbia's bigwigs have derived much of their technology from Andrew Ryan's submarine dystopia. ".

Um.. No, it would be the other way around. Rapture was mostly finished and being inhabited on November 5th 1946 to January 1at 1959 when the civil war broke out. Columbia was created in made 1893, and still in the sky, this is 9 years before Andrew Ryan was born and many more before he left Russia.

Does that mean that in 1940, there will be a city in the clouds with barely anyone there and most of the skylines broken? I do wonder what will happen to those people that couldn't escape Columbia.

Also, it's pretty clear the Booker joined the Vox Popili because Elizabeth got taken away or else why isn't there a Voxaphone of her talking about losing Booker? That would have made more sense, Booker wanted to stay out of the whole civil war, but he wants no harm to come to Elizabeth. He went threw hell to get her and he died trying to get her. That just how one Alternate universe ended. Maybe there is a universe where she still has her Pinky or the Coin Flip changes. Honestly, I don't care about Comstock's rise to power. He's a racist bast'rd and it made the game real easy to clever through those narrow minded people.

There are a few problems with this WIshlist of DLC:
1. A conclusion where there is no Comstock, only Booker DeWitt would actually be awesome to see in one of the Sea of Doors.. If there is no Comstock, there would never have been a Columbia. It would most likely be a different floating city, if at all, under a different name, different tyrannical leader, but lacking the GIrl whom can make tears, and the twins would most likely have never been stuck ghosting between dimensions, but still possible. They seem happy together.. Except for Robert. It might, arguably, lead to an actual 'True Ending' where there was no Comstock or Columbia leveling out the Boxer Rebellion..

2. As interesting as Songbird's origins would be, you get to see the plan of him. It's a human in a suit, but probably as much of man as the Handyman are. It's not like in Bioshock: DLC of Sigma, where out get to learn about Charles Porter was made into a Big Daddy, that was sad as hell. I do feel bad that unlike in Irrational's Bioshock, where they tell you about the story of the Enemy Class characters you're fighting, Infinite did very little on that as to tell a bigger story, but it still felt off. Less spending on marketing budget, focus on the game. You could put out a ' Hey this is coming out on this day' right on their site, Xbox LIve and PS Plus, and people be foaming at the mouth to get it. I hate how I got the soundtrack, but I didn't get the 'Tainted Love', 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun', and 'Making Whoopie' songs that was Easter Egged around on record players. I laughed so hard.^_^

I have a few more points, but it is late and I let my Hardcore Bioshock nerd flag fly high enough for today... Mm.. I need to get a job in story design. >.>
Battlemore 1

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Apr 2013, 10:36

Battlemore wrote:You said in your 4th thought that;
" It's suggested throughout Infinite that Columbia's bigwigs have derived much of their technology from Andrew Ryan's submarine dystopia. ".

Um.. No, it would be the other way around. Rapture was mostly finished and being inhabited on November 5th 1946 to January 1at 1959 when the civil war broke out. Columbia was created in made 1893, and still in the sky, this is 9 years before Andrew Ryan was born and many more before he left Russia.

I don't think you were paying attention. For a start it does imply at several points that the Fink Brothers have taken Vigor and Handyman tech from Rapture via tears. Also the tears can skip time as well as Dimension, hence the cool Revenge of the Jedi cinema scene, so why shouldn't Columbia in 1912 take stuff from Rapture in 1959? And Thirdly YOU ACTUALLY VISIT RAPTURE THROUGH A TEAR!
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator