to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Volition "glad" about Red Faction's rebirth, talks sequel po

Your comments on our articles.

Saints Row developer no longer interested in working with the IP, however

Volition's general manager Dan Cermak has welcomed the acquisition of the long-dormant Red Faction IP by Nordic Games, but says the Saints Row developer doesn't intend to work with its sorely missed sci-fi franchise again.... read more

Volition "glad" about Red Faction's rebirth, talks sequel po

Postby Metalrodent » 23 Apr 2013, 20:21

Guerilla was good fun, if far from perfect, Armeggedon was less so - removing the sandbox and destruction elements removed what made the games fun and only served to highlight the generic plots, characters and locations.
Hopefully something new and innovative will be done with it
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: Volition "glad" about Red Faction's rebirth, talks seque

Postby Drainwater » 24 Apr 2013, 01:07

Metalrodent wrote:Guerilla was good fun, if far from perfect, Armeggedon was less so - removing the sandbox and destruction elements removed what made the games fun and only served to highlight the generic plots, characters and locations.
Hopefully something new and innovative will be done with it

Yeah I paid zero attention to the plot of Guerilla. My focus was on "I wonder how cool that building will be to collapse and how few explosives I can do it in?" When I read that Armageddon didn't have the sandbox or the destruction I didn't even buy it. I loved the very first one back on the PS2 though...
Drainwater 35

Postby Rista B » 24 Apr 2013, 15:46

Played Guerrilla and just recently finished Armageddon. Losing the sandbox and going to a mostly linear shoot 'em up was a mistake but they did have some interesting weapons/skills and the ability to rebuild destroyed structures.
Rista B 13

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Apr 2013, 16:14

I seem to recall the series has always been a fairly linear game with Guerilla being the exception. Certainly remember the PS2 games being linear FPS
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Drainwater » 24 Apr 2013, 23:23

CunningSmile wrote:I seem to recall the series has always been a fairly linear game with Guerilla being the exception. Certainly remember the PS2 games being linear FPS

You're right. I was really just thinking aloud on how I didn't even give Armageddon a chance when I liked the first one. I didn't like the second one though, it had a very lackluster plot imo.
Drainwater 35