to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer pits Batman, Robin agains

Your comments on our articles.

Players control a variety of rogues bent on taking down the Bats

Multiple sources have outed the existence of a multiplayer component in the upcoming Batman: Arkham Origins, according to Kotaku.... read more

Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer pits Batman, Robin agains

Postby Abe hikura » 24 Apr 2013, 09:59

Only multiplayer I want is co-op. Predator maps could be awesome with a friend.
Don't see the point of fighting batman in a batman game
Abe hikura 46

Re: Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer pits Batman, Robin ag

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 24 Apr 2013, 10:17

I agree. Co-op would be good. Can't wait for this to get released.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Captain_Chao5 52

Postby OXM ETboy » 24 Apr 2013, 10:19

There's no way that combat system works in competitive. Co-op-versus-AI or bust, Warner.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Apr 2013, 10:26

Not a fan of the MP idea as it's just going to be shoehorned in and take resources away from the main game.

However I am wondering if this very specific list points to some of the characters that may be trying for the bounty on the Bat's head?

some kind of Electroman character

Electrocutioner maybe? What do you think Aoife?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Mendes » 24 Apr 2013, 11:20

CunningSmile wrote:Not a fan of the MP idea as it's just going to be shoehorned in and take resources away from the main game.

However I am wondering if this very specific list points to some of the characters that may be trying for the bounty on the Bat's head?

I'm with you on that Cunning, no to multiplayer... at the most a fully optional co-op campaign separate from the main campaign and without micro-fecking-transactions!! Don't get me wrong, if they offer something wholly innovative that doesn't leech the resources requiered for a decent main campaign then I'd be all for it, but I doubt that'd be the case.

I can think of a few ways they could innovate, a game I'll coin as "Anti Co-op", where two players go head to head in story based missions, for example Batman vs Riddler, where player one has to solve challenges / traps setup by player two. Admittedly I haven't hammered out the details of how this could work, that's not my job!

Secondly 4 player Versus. Batman / Robin (or Catwoman for that matter) vs Joker / Penguin (or Harley Quinn for sexual equalities sake) in open world shenanigans.... but like Ed says, I can't see how the existing combat system could be shoe-horned in to multiplayer effectively.

Best they leave alone I reckon, multiplayer is not needed. I'm only just finishing the GotY version of Arkham City which I picked up brand new for the bargain price of £14.99 recently! I performed the same cheapskate tomfoolery with Asylum... and with the threat of a probable mediocre multiplayer eating a chunk of the development budget I'm likely to wait till a price drop and innevitable GotY version with all the DLC comes out.
Mendes 34

Postby SilentDark » 24 Apr 2013, 12:22

Isn't the combat system of Arkham geared towards a single player taking on multiple oponents. How would it work with multiple characters taking on at best two characters. The combat for multiplayer would need a serious overhaul to work methinks. Personally I like the idea of co-op where you and a mate take on the trials together, or given the open world asthetic of City they could take on challenges separately, you could even introduce the extended bat family and have multiple players playing within the same city perhaps calling for help when things seem to be getting too tough, or even set up challenges that can be taken on using only two or more heroes.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 24 Apr 2013, 12:46

No no no no no no!!

Why do developers think adding multiplayer to a game that doesnt need it is a good idea?

I really think it will take away from the experience of being Batman if you have a co-op buddy
Helping you. And if this is the early days of Batman then its possible he hasnt recruited a partner yet.

The challenge mode could easily imcorporate multiplayer with a few tweaks to the combat sure but Leave the campaign alone. Some of us gamers still enjoy our single player experience and im already skeptical enough of this game as it is.
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby SilentDark » 24 Apr 2013, 13:45

Johnbhoy69 wrote:No no no no no no!!

Why do developers think adding multiplayer to a game that doesnt need it is a good idea?

Because then they can incorporate an online pass instantly devaluing your purchase once used and extorting money out of people who think £40 for a two day game is a little excessive.

I'm thinking maybe a mercenaries style game where two of you team up to fight off wave after wave of mooks within a time limit?
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby OXM Aoife » 25 Apr 2013, 08:37

CunningSmile wrote:Not a fan of the MP idea as it's just going to be shoehorned in and take resources away from the main game.

I reckon so, and it seems Kotaku had the same idea...
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff