to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft should bring pre-owned to Xbox Live, not block it

Your comments on our articles.

"It's a no-brainer," says Just Add Water

Microsoft needs to let Xbox Live users trade in digital games, for the good of developers, publishers and players alike, Just Add Water's Stewart Gilray and Dan Morse have told OXM.... read more

Postby Name incorrect » 24 Apr 2013, 15:57

Funny i was thinking the same thing the other day,i've spent loads on games from the marketplace and always thought it would be a good idea to be able to trade them in when your done with them,means theres no disk damage, easy transactions. i dont know why they havent done this years ago,im in favor for getting this done :D
Name incorrect 3

Re: Microsoft should bring pre-owned to Xbox Live, not block

Postby Tug » 24 Apr 2013, 16:16

Can't condone this really, not until game prices decrease. I never buy games for £40 on release, except Halo or possibly Fable.

On a related topic.
I just bought 5 xbox games for £20 from GAME.co.uk.
I'd get in there before they're all gone.
Last edited by Tug on 24 Apr 2013, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Tug 27

Postby SilentDark » 24 Apr 2013, 16:24

First things first they really need to sort out pricing on the marketplace because until they do this digital download utopia that everyone wants is going to be further off than they think.

An example

Dead Island current costs £14.99 on the marketplace

To get the in game DLC costs a total of 1600 MS Points (taking the cheapest offer for the nearest amount of points on Amazon I would purchase 2100 points at £16.87)

So a grand total of £31.86

I can pop into Asda living and purchase the game of the year edition which includes all of the above for £10. I mean seriously, I can buy a physical disc based copy I can then very easily trade in or sell for a third of what it would cost me on demand. This is patently ridiculous pricing and needs sorting out before any digital trade in system if you ask me.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby SidTheSloth » 24 Apr 2013, 16:30

Y'know, i'd never really thought about it this way, but the more i think about it, so long as the pricing is changed from 'crazy currency' to realistic real world - it could be flipping brilliant...!

I'm imagining something along the lines of the marketplaces in Forza and the like - albeit sped up and improved presentation wise. But instead of just buying/selling/trading with MS, let people trade directly with them as the go between. Let the seller specify their own price - but better, a game(s) they'd be willing to trade for - when someone who wants to buy comes along, they can view the offer, MS shows the askers price, the price new, cheaper/different alternatives etc. Maybe you could even introduce a barter/counter offer system!? Maybe i'm taking it too far now... :)

MS could even subsidise some of the smaller titles, offering people a greater guaranteed trade in, say they'll offer £15 against a brand new FIFA, or £25 against an Enslaved to encourage take up of lesser titles etc. A price increase for live subscription could help bridge some of the difference, i wouldn't mind paying a little more for a system like this to be implemented that gives me total control over the stuff i buy...! Some of these are top of my head ideas and we're a few years away from any of this anyway - and it still shits on Mr & Mrs High Street, but i reckon digital will become the mainstream in the future anyway (however far away that may be) as it has with music.

With all this spare change, MS could even open their own MS/Xbox stores in the ilk of the Apple ones. Would solve the problem of who'd sell the boxes themselves etc.

Hmm. Still a fair few years away, and problems to solve, but there's deffo potential down this path surely? Steams gifting thing is already a small step in this direction..!?
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 53

Postby FishyGinger » 24 Apr 2013, 16:39

SidTheSloth wrote:Y'know, i'd never really thought about it this way, but the more i think about it, so long as the pricing is changed from 'crazy currency' to realistic real world - it could be flipping brilliant...!

I'm imagining something along the lines of the marketplaces in Forza and the like - albeit sped up and improved presentation wise. But instead of just buying/selling/trading with MS, let people trade directly with them as the go between. Let the seller specify their own price - but better, a game(s) they'd be willing to trade for - when someone who wants to buy comes along, they can view the offer, MS shows the askers price, the price new, cheaper/different alternatives etc. Maybe you could even introduce a barter/counter offer system!? Maybe i'm taking it too far now... :)

MS could even subsidise some of the smaller titles, offering people a greater guaranteed trade in, say they'll offer £15 against a brand new FIFA, or £25 against an Enslaved to encourage take up of lesser titles etc. A price increase for live subscription could help bridge some of the difference, i wouldn't mind paying a little more for a system like this to be implemented that gives me total control over the stuff i buy...! Some of these are top of my head ideas and we're a few years away from any of this anyway - and it still shits on Mr & Mrs High Street, but i reckon digital will become the mainstream in the future anyway (however far away that may be) as it has with music.

With all this spare change, MS could even open their own MS/Xbox stores in the ilk of the Apple ones. Would solve the problem of who'd sell the boxes themselves etc.

Hmm. Still a fair few years away, and problems to solve, but there's deffo potential down this path surely? Steams gifting thing is already a small step in this direction..!?

Come again?

:wink:
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby SidTheSloth » 24 Apr 2013, 16:45

FishyGinger wrote:Come again?

Yeah, yeah, yeah - laugh it up Fish face...! :evil:

>mutter mutter... you and... grumble... your... moan... valid points... mutter<

Aren't you meant to be somewhere else buying a season pass or something? :)
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 53

Postby FishyGinger » 24 Apr 2013, 16:53

SidTheSloth wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:Come again?

Yeah, yeah, yeah - laugh it up Fish face...! :evil:

>mutter mutter... you and... grumble... your... moan... valid points... mutter<

Aren't you meant to be somewhere else buying a season pass or something? :)

Fack awf, I'm trying to kick the habit :D

Where's the download button?
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Theron284 » 24 Apr 2013, 17:14

I really don't know. Digital distribution is killing the high street. Used games is pretty much the only form of profit they get these days. I'm fully against blocking used games for this very reason.
Theron284 5

Postby Tug » 24 Apr 2013, 17:26

Theron284 wrote:I really don't know. Digital distribution is killing the high street. Used games is pretty much the only form of profit they get these days. I'm fully against blocking used games for this very reason.

my sentiment exactly. I won't be buying a Next Box if they block used games. I'll be moving onto a Wii U.
Last edited by Tug on 24 Apr 2013, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Tug 27

Postby SilentDark » 24 Apr 2013, 17:30

It's not digital distribution killing the highstreet Theron it's online retailers like Amazon. As pointed out by myself pricing for their on demand titles is stupidly high compared to the highstreet. Picking up Dead Island GOTY on Amazon is £17.45, only a couple of quid more than the on demand version and including all the DLC. Unless Microsft and Sony get ther heads from out of their asses then Digital distrubtion will never become the way we get our games. I wanted to pick up Arkham City from Tesco a few weeks ago, they were selling it for £25, I looked on Amazon and found it for £16, brand new. so no digital distribution is not killing the highstreet, online shopping is.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby GossipHound » 24 Apr 2013, 21:01

Is that Santa in disguise in the top picture buying used games for kiddies Xmas presents?? Times must be hard if St Nick is cutting corners!
Peace through superior firepower.
GossipHound 31

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Apr 2013, 10:11

SilentDark wrote:It's not digital distribution killing the highstreet Theron it's online retailers like Amazon. As pointed out by myself pricing for their on demand titles is stupidly high compared to the highstreet. Picking up Dead Island GOTY on Amazon is £17.45, only a couple of quid more than the on demand version and including all the DLC. Unless Microsft and Sony get ther heads from out of their asses then Digital distrubtion will never become the way we get our games. I wanted to pick up Arkham City from Tesco a few weeks ago, they were selling it for £25, I looked on Amazon and found it for £16, brand new. so no digital distribution is not killing the highstreet, online shopping is.

I think the High Street's complete inability to move with the times is killing the High Street. HMV went from 95% market share in music sales to bankruptcy in 10 years because they thought 'downloading music will never catch on, MP3s are just a fad' so never bothered setting up their own website until iTunes was already shitting all over them.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 25 Apr 2013, 10:31

CunningSmile wrote:
I think the High Street's complete inability to move with the times is killing the High Street. HMV went from 95% market share in music sales to bankruptcy in 10 years because they thought 'downloading music will never catch on, MP3s are just a fad' so never bothered setting up their own website until iTunes was already shitting all over them.

If they had set up an online site early though that wouldn't have counted as the high street though would it? I don't know how intertwined these companies keep high street/online store, always thought they were kept mostly separate.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Apr 2013, 11:21

Most companies do keep them seperate, but that's just another sign of not moving with the times; they're still acting like the online shopping will go away and they need to be able to close it easily. I believe Tesco Direct (the department that sell furniture etc.) do have integrated stores and online and treat them as one and it's certainly not done them any harm, means they can spread costs between the two and charge slightly more than they need to online in order to subsidise the shops making the bricks and mortor more competetive whilst still maintaining a visible online presence backed up by high street name recognition.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby scham81 » 27 Apr 2013, 12:43

SilentDark wrote:First things first they really need to sort out pricing on the marketplace because until they do this digital download utopia that everyone wants is going to be further off than they think.

An example

Dead Island current costs £14.99 on the marketplace

To get the in game DLC costs a total of 1600 MS Points (taking the cheapest offer for the nearest amount of points on Amazon I would purchase 2100 points at £16.87)

So a grand total of £31.86

I can pop into Asda living and purchase the game of the year edition which includes all of the above for £10. I mean seriously, I can buy a physical disc based copy I can then very easily trade in or sell for a third of what it would cost me on demand. This is patently ridiculous pricing and needs sorting out before any digital trade in system if you ask me.

Exactly how I feel, I mean if I wanted to buy BO2 on demand it something like £55 but shops its £40 (still a rip off for a game thats 6 months old).
scham81 33