to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Star Trek: The Videogame

Your comments on our articles.

An ignoble enterprise

Space. The final frontier, or at least the one with the most expensive SFX. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise... F? G? I forget which letter we're up to now. Its sadly continuing mission? To explore strange new worlds that are actually giant broken hamster-runs, packed with strangely magnetic boulders to cower behind, terminals and locks to "hack" by way of vacuous minigames, and yellow-tinted ledges to sob at hysterically as you die of magic ragdoll sickness on the rocks a whopping 10 whole feet below.... read more

Star Trek: The Videogame

Postby Droidsbane » 26 Apr 2013, 11:19

damn... continues the trend of rubbish Movie tie-ins then... will we ever get a great Star Trek game?
Droidsbane 33

Re: Star Trek: The Videogame

Postby OXM Log » 26 Apr 2013, 11:32

Man. I'm so sorry I wrote an optimistic preview for this. I feel totally duped.
OXM Log
OXM Staff

Postby Insaneyokel » 26 Apr 2013, 11:34

Am gutted, was looking forward to it! Khannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby SilentDark » 26 Apr 2013, 11:36

Yet another horrible movie tie-in, I wish I could say I'm surprised but I'm really not. After the broken horrible mess that was Spider-man 3 on the PS2 I officially gave up on movie tie-ins.

As for good Star Trek games you'll probably need to look to the past for that one. Personal favourites include Away Team, Bridge Commander and the Elite Force games, none are really A-grade but at least they aren't rush jobs like this and some actual effort was made to develop something fun.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby CunningSmile » 26 Apr 2013, 12:02

OXM Log wrote:Man. I'm so sorry I wrote an optimistic preview for this. I feel totally duped.

You and everyone else I fear. I've actually not read a bad preview for this from you, Xbox World or GamesRadar. I think everyone just wanted it to work
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 26 Apr 2013, 12:34

Like a jaded clown caught in a bankrupt routine, it bumbles and staggers theatrically from one utter failure of imagination and execution to another.

What a brilliant piece of damning journalism :mrgreen:
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby SilentDark » 26 Apr 2013, 13:31

OXM Log wrote:Man. I'm so sorry I wrote an optimistic preview for this. I feel totally duped.

Well now you know and knowing is half the battle. Hopefully stuff like this won't turn you into a bitter broken husk who can draw no joy from this world and whose only comfort is tearing apart the hopes and dreams of others, you know, like me.
SilentDark 62

Postby Vegetunks9000 » 26 Apr 2013, 18:02

Droidsbane wrote:damn... continues the trend of rubbish Movie tie-ins then... will we ever get a great Star Trek game?

Star Trek Online isn't too bad. But isn't for consoles i'm afraid. I had high expectations for this game. Expected a Mass Effect type 3PS. Shame :(
Yes yes, over 9000, i know, i know
Vegetunks9000 33

Postby Metalrodent » 26 Apr 2013, 18:07

You claim it resembles the film - so is it choke to the brim full of distracting lens flare?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 26 Apr 2013, 19:08

This is the same developer that made The Darkness 2? The Darkness 2 is the best shooter of last year, in my opinion. I enjoyed it even more than Halo 4 and Far Cry 3. It's brilliant.

This can't be the same team, surely. I'm guessing this is something they did on the side for some extra cash. Maybe they handed it over to the interns.
Lancer Armstrong 23

Postby Drainwater » 26 Apr 2013, 22:57

I had zero confidence that this would turn out well. Not that I don't trust the judgement of the staff here, but I knew nothing good would come of a modern Star Trek game. I did appreciate the optimism though, I was really hoping I'd be wrong and it would be a great game.

SilentDark wrote:As for good Star Trek games you'll probably need to look to the past for that one. Personal favourites include Away Team, Bridge Commander and the Elite Force games, none are really A-grade but at least they aren't rush jobs like this and some actual effort was made to develop something fun.

Star Trek Invasion was a good space shooter too.
Drainwater 34

Postby Dave2123 » 27 Apr 2013, 15:15

SilentDark wrote:Yet another horrible movie tie-in, I wish I could say I'm surprised but I'm really not. After the broken horrible mess that was Spider-man 3 on the PS2 I officially gave up on movie tie-ins.

The Batman games are generally considered to be very good games, and some of star wars games were my favourite games growing up - Republic Commandos, Battlefield 1 and 2, Revenge of the Sith.
Dave2123 29

Postby SilentDark » 27 Apr 2013, 16:35

Dave2123 wrote:The Batman games are generally considered to be very good games, and some of star wars games were my favourite games growing up - Republic Commandos, Battlefield 1 and 2, Revenge of the Sith.

Revenge of the Sith I found to be average at best. Republic Commandos and the Battlefront games aren't titles I consider movie tie-ins because they don't actually follow the plots of any of the movies. This is what makes them better because they aren't tied to a specific movie release the developers can make a better effort to make something good. The Godfather was an excellent movie tie-in, primarily I think because the movie had been released agest ago the developers didn't have to rush the game out to meet a movie release deadline. Perhaps more titles like Godfather, Scarface or the Warriors would be better.
SilentDark 62

Postby thewrongtrousers » 03 May 2013, 10:21

Dave2123 wrote:The Batman games are generally considered to be very good games, and some of star wars games were my favourite games growing up - Republic Commandos, Battlefield 1 and 2, Revenge of the Sith.

Not sure that the Batman games are proper movie tie ins - if you mean Asylum and City. They weren't released at the same time as the films. In terms of tie ins for Batman games you are better off looking at the Lego versions (apologies if they were the ones you meant) - they were quite good by all accounts, not played them myself.

SilentDark wrote:Revenge of the Sith I found to be average at best. Republic Commandos and the Battlefront games aren't titles I consider movie tie-ins because they don't actually follow the plots of any of the movies. This is what makes them better because they aren't tied to a specific movie release the developers can make a better effort to make something good. The Godfather was an excellent movie tie-in, primarily I think because the movie had been released agest ago the developers didn't have to rush the game out to meet a movie release deadline. Perhaps more titles like Godfather, Scarface or the Warriors would be better.

I'm not convinced a tie in game has to follow the plot to be considered a tie in. E.g. not a film I know, but Walking Dead games don't follow the plot of the series yet is obviously a tie in.
thewrongtrousers 28

Postby xUKDrAGoNBorN » 06 May 2013, 15:30

this is kinda like aliens colonial marines it looked promising but when released it was terrible
xUKDrAGoNBorN 16