to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Why a subscription-based Xbox could win the next generation

Your comments on our articles.

Imitating the smartphone industry seems a sensible move, writes Ed

Microsoft's "secret sauce" with the new Xbox may not be bleeding-edge visuals - indeed, if BioWare's Neil Thompson is to be believed, the graphical leap afforded by next generation hardware in general won't be quite as dazzling as what Xbox 360 offered over last gen consoles. It may not come down to the console's specifications, which are said to be a marriage of raw oomph and cost-effective smarts, accompanied by flash new Kinect and augmented reality features.... read more

Postby Theron284 » 26 Apr 2013, 15:13

No. Sorry, but I really don't have the money to spend over time like that. I've already needed to cancel some of the subscriptions that I had as it is.
Theron284 5

Postby Bobo888 » 26 Apr 2013, 15:19

Kind of a no-brainer isn't it? Assuming xbox live stays at roughly $50 a year it's $600 vs $540 for the console and 2 years of live. I know which I would choose, although me getting the next xbox at all depends on the exclusive games and what this talk of always online DRM comes to.
Bobo888 38

Re: Why a subscription-based Xbox could win the next generat

Postby OXM ETboy » 26 Apr 2013, 15:20

Bobo888 wrote:Kind of a no-brainer isn't it?

Yip.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SilentDark » 26 Apr 2013, 15:27

The difference being that for a phone you really need a phone provider to give you a phone line to use. Pay as you go is fine if you don't make calls that much but if you need a stable line of contact then you have to sign up to a mobile phone contract. If you don't then why even have a phone in the first place. Don't know what it's like in America but buying a 12 month live subscription at retail can cost as low as £30 if you shop around, saving a tenner on MS own pricing for it.

If this goes ahead it's a no from me. I don't want to be tied down to a 24 month contract.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby Insaneyokel » 26 Apr 2013, 15:29

Am intrigued, but would they take it instalments only or could we pay a lump sum for the subscription? Am nervous with giving card details with the hacking that occurred this generation
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby Bobo888 » 26 Apr 2013, 15:36

Insaneyokel wrote:Am nervous with giving card details with the hacking that occurred this generation

This kind of thing would more likely be a direct debit, not the same risk as a card payment.
Bobo888 38

Postby Muppetman51 » 26 Apr 2013, 16:02

There's no way I'm paying either at this rate. Looks like my 360 won't be getting a friend for quite a while, if at all.
I summon bigger fish to crush Bubble
Muppetman51 42

Postby I of Womb » 26 Apr 2013, 16:26

Hmm.. Where to start?? Considering an Xbox Live subscription is turning into a gateway only service, I think this multibillion dollar industry is starting to take the smeg... Server rentals anyone??
I of Womb 6

Postby Metalrodent » 26 Apr 2013, 17:44

I of Womb wrote:Hmm.. Where to start?? Considering an Xbox Live subscription is turning into a gateway only service, I think this multibillion dollar industry is starting to take the smeg... Server rentals anyone??

already happening, just look at BF3 - instead of private matches like most games we have to pay for a weeks ownership of a server
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby GHOSTY05 » 27 Apr 2013, 11:28

Metalrodent wrote:
I of Womb wrote:Hmm.. Where to start?? Considering an Xbox Live subscription is turning into a gateway only service, I think this multibillion dollar industry is starting to take the smeg... Server rentals anyone??

already happening, just look at BF3 - instead of private matches like most games we have to pay for a weeks ownership of a server

I hate those servers on BF3, ridiculously expensive, no one ever comes in to my room so i end up just joining other peoples games.

And then if you kill the host or end up being better than them, they kick you out, terrible idea. You should be able to rate the hosts or servers so others can avoid the idiots.

As for the new xbox it all depends on price, i recently purchased 14months of xbox live for £25, Yes £25 so why would i want to pay over the odds to subscribe, unless obcourse they discount it if you buy the console aswell?
GHOSTY05 43

Postby Bezza89 » 27 Apr 2013, 11:42

Insaneyokel wrote:Am intrigued, but would they take it instalments only or could we pay a lump sum for the subscription?

You realise what you said here, right? D'oh!

A lot of people not really thinking about this if you ask me, not everyone can afford the £300 estimated price, it could be more or less, so offering a subscription price scheme is a great way for people to play nextgen xbox. Comparing made up prices is a, retarded and b, even if they were true you keep in mind a subscription is to make payment easier for the customer, you will end up paying more for convenience this is not a charity here.

When you get xbox live gold thrown in it becomes a pretty good deal for those who are strapped for cash, but I guess you're right, let's just complain about a rumoured, optional strategy designed to help people that aren't you.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby Insaneyokel » 27 Apr 2013, 12:04

Yeah I looked back, it made sense at the time but looking at it now am thinking what!!!!!!

I think I am going to wait and see what is actually happening before I take the leap. I like the Xbox and would be loathed to switch, have a ps3 as well and I like the Xbox,more so hopefully Microsoft will pull it out the bag. Overall I am going to be in r wait and see camp :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby Adam Acuo » 27 Apr 2013, 14:42

The subscription model will likely work for the millions who are already paying for a gold account, though I would note that in North America a gold account is $60 per year (or $100 for a family account of four) vs the £120 suggested in your article (though you guys tend to pay more for everything). It's likely that a new platinum tier will be launched at a higher price to justify the increase... We shall see. Further, I would expect that Microsoft is working with the cable companies, not against them as your article implies. The next Xbox will likely work in conjunction with or perhaps eventually replace your cable set top box. With respect to the PS4, I would assume that they are planning a similar subscription model for their Playstation Plus service, and we can assume that they will form their own alliances ti compete with the Microsoft offering.
Adam Acuo 6

Postby daveyblue » 01 May 2013, 07:33

This is really putting me off the next xbox (if true). My xbox is always connected but I don't pay for gold as I don't play any games on multiplayer online. I don't want to upload a "cool" headshot for a 12 year old to see instantly or watch the latest "pink" music video, I just want to play games like bioshock, mass effect, fallout etc, on my own, is that too much to ask?
daveyblue 10