to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Must Buy: eight Xbox fighting games you shouldn't miss

Your comments on our articles.

Put 'em up, put 'em up...

It's Friday, summer's almost here, and the next gen Xbox reveal is right around the corner - the perfect time to start a fight. I've put together a list of eight fisticuff simulators that deserve your attention - some new, some old, and some because of reasons. Alright, because Batman.... read more

Must Buy: eight Xbox fighting games you shouldn't miss

Postby Plamsa wing » 26 Apr 2013, 17:52

Is there a secret disdain for Mortal Kombat at OXM? :wink:
Last edited by Plamsa wing on 26 Apr 2013, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 56

Re: Must Buy: eight Xbox fighting games you shouldn't miss

Postby Metalrodent » 26 Apr 2013, 18:02

You might easily play it for hours and still walk away without the foggiest notion as to how the mechanics actually work

Sums up all the fighters I've ever owned and played.
A shame as I do like them
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby TomAZ600 » 26 Apr 2013, 19:01

I can't find a fighting game that I like. I want a Tekken style fight based on actual fighting styles but without the boxing Kangaroos or a lady with chainsaws for arms. But I also don't way a WWE or MMA/UFC game either. So hard to please :?
TomAZ600 35

Postby Droidsbane » 26 Apr 2013, 19:02

Injustice was the first fighter I played, and I really liked it, it even changed my perception of Aquaman, im no longer a member of the 'Aquaman sucks' bandwagon, especially when I finished off Batman (in co-op with my brother) by having him attacked by sharks for the first time.
Droidsbane 33

Postby SkinnerChinner » 26 Apr 2013, 21:35

No Mortal Kombat 9????

FINISH HER!!!
SkinnerChinner 36

Postby RetroDad » 26 Apr 2013, 21:40

I don't own a single fighting game for my 360. I rinsed the genre out during its 90's heyday, I was the local Street Fighter 2 Champion!! (of Swanley :roll:) I've found over time that you really need a group of mates that are like minded. Playing against A.I is a bit shit after a while once you've unlocked all the characters. I downloaded the Injustice demo to see if the spark was there for me but sadly no. It felt quite stilted and a bit ropey. I nearly took a punt on the Mortal Kombat Trilogy recently, then remembered the nightmare of remembering all the combos. F*** that, in a nutshell.
I'll state what I want to state in whatever state I happen to be in!
RetroDad 35

Postby SkinnerChinner » 26 Apr 2013, 21:56

RetroDad wrote:I don't own a single fighting game for my 360. I rinsed the genre out during its 90's heyday, I was the local Street Fighter 2 Champion!! (of Swanley :roll:) I've found over time that you really need a group of mates that are like minded. Playing against A.I is a bit shit after a while once you've unlocked all the characters. I downloaded the Injustice demo to see if the spark was there for me but sadly no. It felt quite stilted and a bit ropey. I nearly took a punt on the Mortal Kombat Trilogy recently, then remembered the nightmare of remembering all the combos. F*** that, in a nutshell.

I'm by no means a massive fan of the genre, MK9 was the first fighting game I'd bought in years, largely based on nostalgic recollections of the SNES days (bit of horrific gore to balance the charm of Yoshi's Island?). In fact, it's the only fighting game I've ever bought myself, you get a convenient combo list in the pause menu this time round :wink:
SkinnerChinner 36

Postby Drainwater » 26 Apr 2013, 22:34

Soul Caliber 4 was the last fighting game I really liked. I didn't like Tekken 6 or Tag 2 and I've never been in to the Street Fighters or Mortal Kombats. I am eyeballing Injustice though...but I'll probably wait for it to come down in price. I am kind of wanting to beat people down with Black Adam.
Drainwater 35

Postby Nune » 27 Apr 2013, 11:26

No KOF!??!?! NO Garou!??! bahhhhh
Nune 12

Postby SilentDark » 27 Apr 2013, 11:45

Got Persona 4 Arena on pre-order, can't wait for it. I've been on the fence with Arcana Heart 3 for a while, you may just have tempted me, I do love my limited editions.

As for the lack of Mortal Kombat 9, well I understand that, MK has become quite sluggish in recent years and you do seem to have a taste for the fast paced combat 2D fighters tend to offer.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby Maverick_McCool » 27 Apr 2013, 17:45

Drainwater wrote:Soul Caliber 4 was the last fighting game I really liked. I didn't like Tekken 6 or Tag 2 and I've never been in to the Street Fighters or Mortal Kombats. I am eyeballing Injustice though...but I'll probably wait for it to come down in price. I am kind of wanting to beat people down with Black Adam.

Black Adam is my main dude at the mo , fantastic character with a lethal moveset. Of course as he is a zoning character as opposed to being combo heavy , you will get a bit of stick from some of the young 'uns.

I also remember a while back when OXM took on it's readers in a Street Fighter IV competition. Seeing as Injustice has just come out and seeing as it looks like we have a fighting fan in Aoife , care for a rumble?
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby OXM Aoife » 29 Apr 2013, 09:08

SilentDark wrote:Got Persona 4 Arena on pre-order, can't wait for it. I've been on the fence with Arcana Heart 3 for a while, you may just have tempted me, I do love my limited editions.

As for the lack of Mortal Kombat 9, well I understand that, MK has become quite sluggish in recent years and you do seem to have a taste for the fast paced combat 2D fighters tend to offer.

You're right there, I do prefer the faster paced fighters, but in hindsight I should have included MK. I did love the reboot - even if Quan Chi worked his way into my least favourite gaming characters of all time because of it.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Aoife » 29 Apr 2013, 09:09

Maverick_McCool wrote:
Drainwater wrote:Soul Caliber 4 was the last fighting game I really liked. I didn't like Tekken 6 or Tag 2 and I've never been in to the Street Fighters or Mortal Kombats. I am eyeballing Injustice though...but I'll probably wait for it to come down in price. I am kind of wanting to beat people down with Black Adam.

Black Adam is my main dude at the mo , fantastic character with a lethal moveset. Of course as he is a zoning character as opposed to being combo heavy , you will get a bit of stick from some of the young 'uns.

I also remember a while back when OXM took on it's readers in a Street Fighter IV competition. Seeing as Injustice has just come out and seeing as it looks like we have a fighting fan in Aoife , care for a rumble?

I'm up for that!
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Apr 2013, 10:47

Hey Aoife when are you getting your name in blue? Do you need to pass probation before you're allowed to become a proper staff member?
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Zack135 » 06 May 2013, 15:49

Dammit, OXM. Mortal Kombat is the king of fighting game franchises. How did you miss that on your list?
Zack135 20

Next