to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publishers sa

Your comments on our articles.

Also rumoured: live gameplay recording, "massive" new achievements system, Twitter-style friends lists

Polygon has fired off a salvo of new Xbox 720 rumours, which point to a dramatic expansion of the hardware's social and connected features. According to the site's contacts, the next Xbox won't mandate an internet connection as has been rumoured, but publishers will be able to impose this requirement for individual titles.... read more

Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publishers sa

Postby PaladinRonin » 26 Apr 2013, 18:06

I do like the fact the system appears to be intergrading soical media more. I'd like to see what a "Twitter-style" friends list would look like. I'm assume small, short-chracter updates that you can post about, such as getting an achievment or completeing a challege.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 32
 
Posts: 139
Joined: 06 Jun 2012, 22:13
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby SilentDark » 26 Apr 2013, 22:08

So it will be always online because I can't see a major publisher passing on the chance to hit piracy and used games in a double whammy. EA and Ubisoft would welcome this move more than anyone but should such a system come to pass let me make a prediction. Said publishers will take advantage of this new system because, well it "protects their investment", people will move to the PS4 or Wii U because they won't have such insane restrictions. The publishers will see their profits on the nextbox fall, rather than come to the logical conclusion that their restrictive DRM is losing them customers they will instead shift focus to the platforms on which they are still recieving better returns paying only lip service to the nextbox, because when the publishers are screwing over their customers it can't possibly be their fault. Well see if these rumours bear fruit soon enough but Microsoft could be scoring a fantastic own goal if this turns out to be true.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2676
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby Worthies » 27 Apr 2013, 12:18

SilentDark wrote:So it will be always online because I can't see a major publisher passing on the chance to hit piracy and used games in a double whammy. EA and Ubisoft would welcome this move more than anyone but should such a system come to pass let me make a prediction. Said publishers will take advantage of this new system because, well it "protects their investment", people will move to the PS4 or Wii U because they won't have such insane restrictions. The publishers will see their profits on the nextbox fall, rather than come to the logical conclusion that their restrictive DRM is losing them customers they will instead shift focus to the platforms on which they are still recieving better returns paying only lip service to the nextbox, because when the publishers are screwing over their customers it can't possibly be their fault. Well see if these rumours bear fruit soon enough but Microsoft could be scoring a fantastic own goal if this turns out to be true.


I would suggest that there will be some publishers who take advantage of the online only feature, such as MMOs, however I would largely disagree with the notion that publishers such as 'The Big, Bad EA' would want to cut out a significantly large minority of potential customers who prefer the single player offline aspect of their games.
Worthies 30
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 16:41
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby SilentDark » 27 Apr 2013, 12:24

Worthies wrote:
I would suggest that there will be some publishers who take advantage of the online only feature, such as MMOs, however I would largely disagree with the notion that publishers such as 'The Big, Bad EA' would want to cut out a significantly large minority of potential customers who prefer the single player offline aspect of their games.


Really, you did see the big fuss surrounding their Sim City release recently didn't you? Given EAs reputation for not caring about their customers I can see them totally jumping on board with this and then blaming either Microsoft or the fans for the fact that it isn't successful.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2676
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby scham81 » 27 Apr 2013, 12:36

PaladinRonin wrote:I do like the fact the system appears to be intergrading soical media more. I'd like to see what a "Twitter-style" friends list would look like. I'm assume small, short-chracter updates that you can post about, such as getting an achievment or completeing a challege.


I hope they make it so in order to join someone game you both have to 'follow' each other, otherwise that could lead to serious online trolling/stalking.
scham81 34
 
Posts: 86
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 14:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Apr 2013, 12:42

SilentDark wrote:So it will be always online because I can't see a major publisher passing on the chance to hit piracy and used games in a double whammy. EA and Ubisoft would welcome this move more than anyone but should such a system come to pass let me make a prediction. Said publishers will take advantage of this new system because, well it "protects their investment", people will move to the PS4 or Wii U because they won't have such insane restrictions. The publishers will see their profits on the nextbox fall, rather than come to the logical conclusion that their restrictive DRM is losing them customers they will instead shift focus to the platforms on which they are still recieving better returns paying only lip service to the nextbox, because when the publishers are screwing over their customers it can't possibly be their fault. Well see if these rumours bear fruit soon enough but Microsoft could be scoring a fantastic own goal if this turns out to be true.

Ubisoft dropped drm from their PC titles after problems with Assassins Creed 2, I can't really see them reintroducing it until Internet connections greatly improve. And after the sim city thing EA will probably be fairly shy about it... Acti on the other hand will go for it but since they really only have one game and people only ever play the online MP no great loss
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
User avatar
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 11373
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby SilentDark » 27 Apr 2013, 12:58

And Ubisoft's relationship with PC gamers hasn't really been the same since they focus far more on the console market with regards to their marketing and so on. As for EA....well I seriously doubt any lessons have been learned from Sim City, the fact that they took so long to solve a problem that, for a company who has the money and resources of EA, should never have existed in the first place, the fact that the launch of Diablo 3 and the complete mess that was should have clued them into what they needed to do for it to work but they still didn't listen. I really think EA will jump all over this especially as always online combined with Project $10 will, at least to EAs mind let them rake in the cash.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2676
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby DStonedRaider » 27 Apr 2013, 16:47

i bet ea will implement always on to make money out of used games and make you pay for a licence in fact i hope they do there greed is unmatched and will be the another nail in there coffin and hopefully they will be shunned and go bust and be an example to other companys who try follow ther greedy profit model i personaly refuse to buy there games along with turn 10s games as all they want is more and more money for essentualy the same product eg the new tiger woods with the same courses that came with old tiger woods came with would now cost about £100( with dlc) instead of the £40 it used to cost i think dlc was a great idea im happy to pay for extra content that prolongs a game but these days companys hold back content that would have previosly came on disk so they can sell it you a month later to make more money
the way things are looking i predict the nextgen consoles will have a much shorter lifespan and pc game units will take over
much cheaper games free dlc and mods user created content upgradeable easyer to develop for vs masively overpriced games(next gen games at £50+) already outdated graphix cards hard to upgrade games (m$ charges $25000 for a publisher to implement a bug fix or patch) everything aimed to sell sell sell the console is doomed new console style pc,s with changable graphix cards will before too long kill next gen consoles as people realize companys like m$ and ea just want to bend you over the table and take you for all youve got
DStonedRaider 5
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 16:12

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby Dave2123 » 28 Apr 2013, 09:25

SilentDark wrote:So it will be always online because I can't see a major publisher passing on the chance to hit piracy and used games in a double whammy....


You do realise they can do this current gen; make it mandatory to have a connection and code games so they can't be resold, but they don't, so why would they next gen? Also, people won't move to other systems, because, if publisher's make games with always online requirements, it will only be people who want to pirate and who have terrible (I mean virtually non-existent) internet connections who won't want to buy durango.

Publishers are fully within their rights to want to stop piracy and I can't believe anyone would use this as a counter argument against an always-on nextbox - stopping piracy is a point in favour of an always connected games console. Also, selling-on used games might be legal, but it has the same moral discrepancies that makes piracy illegal; namely, the people who made and financed the game aren't getting anything in return for you playing their game. In fact, the principles are exactly the same, but instead of making a copy and selling it on, you're selling the actual game on.

@ DStonedRaider - I'm not sure you fully understand the world we live in; everything is to do with money. It's not just EA who wants to make as much money as possible - every developer and publisher does. I will agree, how they go about making as much money as possible is the thing we should be discussing, not the fact of do they want to make money, and, yes, EA probably tries too hard and does go about it in the wrong way, but they're by no means alone.
User avatar
Dave2123 29
 
Posts: 396
Joined: 08 Apr 2013, 17:09

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby DStonedRaider » 28 Apr 2013, 12:54

@Dave2123. It is clear from your post that YOU don't understand the world we live in
If Durango does have to be online to play and blocks used games it would lose a huge part of its customer base here's some examples for you I have 2 360s one at home online and one at my gt house is offline therefore buying a second one is pointless many rural areas in England and I'm sure round the world don't have readly available or reliable broadband.
But here's what I find most laughable is that used games are akin to piracy what are you smoking. And can I have some used games put more money into developers m$ etcs pockets I would say that the majority of people trading in and selling there used games do so to fund there next game purchase thus creating new sales. not everyone can afford to buy new games all te time and trading in allows people to buy more games for example. (Although not the best I just woke up) how many new cars would be sold if you couldn't sell your old car to help fund the purchase a lot less. Simple economics. And while I agree piracy is a problem it takes money out of development meaning less games etc but online only and stopping used games would be a huge mistake and would drive huge amount of regular Xbox players to pc and ps4 fact.
DStonedRaider 5
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 16:12

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby Mudplugger » 28 Apr 2013, 14:17

It looks like EA are already on the "Always on" bandwagon with Dead Space 3. I was playing through this last week, single player not co-op and got to the Chapter 12 Boss fight. Halfway through the fight, broadband drops out and a message appears - "You have lost your connection to this game session, you will now be returned to the main menu". :shock: That's it, no option to reconnect, no option to play offline end of session. If this is an example of how "always on" is going to be, I'm going to have to consider very carefully whether I get a nextbox or a PS4.
Mudplugger 7
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 28 Apr 2013, 14:10

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby SilentDark » 28 Apr 2013, 15:49

Dave2123 wrote:
SilentDark wrote:So it will be always online because I can't see a major publisher passing on the chance to hit piracy and used games in a double whammy....


You do realise they can do this current gen; make it mandatory to have a connection and code games so they can't be resold, but they don't, so why would they next gen? Also, people won't move to other systems, because, if publisher's make games with always online requirements, it will only be people who want to pirate and who have terrible (I mean virtually non-existent) internet connections who won't want to buy durango.

Publishers are fully within their rights to want to stop piracy and I can't believe anyone would use this as a counter argument against an always-on nextbox - stopping piracy is a point in favour of an always connected games console. Also, selling-on used games might be legal, but it has the same moral discrepancies that makes piracy illegal; namely, the people who made and financed the game aren't getting anything in return for you playing their game. In fact, the principles are exactly the same, but instead of making a copy and selling it on, you're selling the actual game on.

@ DStonedRaider - I'm not sure you fully understand the world we live in; everything is to do with money. It's not just EA who wants to make as much money as possible - every developer and publisher does. I will agree, how they go about making as much money as possible is the thing we should be discussing, not the fact of do they want to make money, and, yes, EA probably tries too hard and does go about it in the wrong way, but they're by no means alone.


Really. So buying second hand is immoral but selling a game with an always online function that doesn't allow people to connect because they didn't invest enough in their servers and then to deny people refunds because they cannot play the game through no fault of their own isn't? Blue and Orange morality at it's finest. As for me advocating piracy, I said no such thing, I said that no system can stop piracy, you can slow them down temporarily but once the failsafes are cracked that's it your alway online anti-piracy system is rendered useless while the pirates play the games without interference legitamate players get hit by connection timeouts and server overload. Back to your assertion that people who sell their own property are some how akin to thieves (and yes that is essentially what you have said) WRONG! When I buy a game, book, DVD or indeed anything I own it is MINE! I own it and if I want to sell it, lend it, give it away it is completly my right to do so. I could sell all my property from clothes to furniture all completly legally and the manufacturers of said items cannot ask me for a single penny compensation because I paid for ownership of the goods. Pirates make illegal copies which they then distribute often for profit, by selling my items I transfer right of ownership to the buyer. I no longer own said item and nor do I maintain any benefits from it. It's completly different, or are you saying you've never sold anything of yours. In that case charilty shops are immoral because they profit almost entirely from used items. Sorry, but anything that impacts my enjoyment of games is a definate no from me, the best way to tackle second hand is to play fairer with your customers, reduce the obscene price of games (how many games can you say were absolutely worth the £40) and if they want it so that I don't own any of the software I pay for then remove retail entirely and only make games available for rent. We'll see how long the games industry lasts if the only way we can play games is borrowing them.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2676
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox 720 games won't be "always online" unless publisher

Postby PaladinRonin » 29 Apr 2013, 20:34

scham81 wrote:
PaladinRonin wrote:I do like the fact the system appears to be intergrading soical media more. I'd like to see what a "Twitter-style" friends list would look like. I'm assume small, short-chracter updates that you can post about, such as getting an achievment or completeing a challege.


I hope they make it so in order to join someone game you both have to 'follow' each other, otherwise that could lead to serious online trolling/stalking.


I do expect there will be standard privacy settings.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 32
 
Posts: 139
Joined: 06 Jun 2012, 22:13
Location: United Kingdom


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]