to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutionise g

Your comments on our articles.

How the new Xbox could take us up a level

The Xbox 720 is officially a reality, and in mere days, we'll finally have (most) of the answers we've been waiting what feels like a lifetime to hear. I think we're all in agreement here that the gaming industry needs a shot in the arm, stat. So here are seven things I believe the new console needs to address, and how these features will affect the way we play.... read more

All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutionise g

Postby fracturedrich » 27 Apr 2013, 13:07

I would like faster updates to bug ridden games.I buy a lot of titles as soon as they hit the shelves to find that i would of been better off waiting until the patch.I no the next issue will be sorted but skyrim,waiting for the game to load every time you walk through a door can wear you down after a while.The system complaints process needs to sorted out aswell.I have like 60 percent people i have played against have complained that i have used abusive language against them,the funny thing is i never use a microphone due to me being a yam yam,i only use microphone if it's needed and to add to that i never swear.I hope that next gen brings a new and improved AI,really clever,to test my skill to it's limits.Ive heard that dark souls 2 will be bringing just this to the table.I have become a big fan of the xbla arcade games over the last year and if this is improved,i will be happy.Ime not expecting big steps but if they improve a machine that i have become to love dearly then again i will be happy.Games pricing does need to be looked at,but that no doubt will be asking to much,especially at the start
fracturedrich 47
 
Posts: 975
Joined: 03 Aug 2012, 10:52
Location: United Kingdom

All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutionise g

Postby Grummy » 27 Apr 2013, 13:10

Free Hugs.

For buying the next Xbox, MS should set up a MS store in all the major cities and towns across the UK and hire a staff of young, attractive airheads whose soul job is to provide free hugs upon seeing evidence that someone has, in fact, bought a new console.



I also think MS need to push their in house dev teams to work on mainstream games with heavy kinect function to support normal game pad play, rather than kinect party titles, They should also badger the 3rd party developers to start taking kinect more seriously and cater for it rather than patching in token interface that means nothing. I want to see a game like, say, Watchdogs utilize the kinect functions to enhance the experience, make it seem more real and personal, but without sacrificing anything from non kinect players. This is crucial.

Similarly they need to start pushing developers to include smart glass function. I Still get excited when I think about the potential for it. Again, using Watchdogs as an example, you use your smart glass app to do what he does in game and the information is sent to your smartphone/tablet device to be read there rather than all in game. Make it feel more personal again. Also again, whilst these should be comprehensive functions, they should not hinder the experience of those who don't want to/can't use smart glass. These should be optional, but still comprehensively designed not thrown in as an after thought.

I'm all for embracing supporting technology to enhance the pure gameplay experience, so bring it on.
One. Warrior. Nation.
User avatar
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9330
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 19:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby Kutch » 27 Apr 2013, 13:36

people keep going on about how games going digital will be cheaper. but any game i have see on xbox live is nearly 10 to 15 euro more expensive than in shops. and i mean new not second hand. for example, dungeon siege 3 is 20 euro on xbox live, but i can by it for 12 euro new in gamestop. if games go digital it will cut down on competition and companies will be able to charge what they want.
Kutch 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 13:33

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby Worthies » 27 Apr 2013, 14:24

Hey, just a question:
Are the images included in the article screenshots from some games due to be released in the next generation or just this one?
And what games are they from? (I recognised Minecraft by the way!)

Cheers.
Worthies 30
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 16:41
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby SilentDark » 27 Apr 2013, 14:25

Sorry Aoife I'm going to have to disagree with you on a couple of points.

Firstly episodic gaming, it just doesn't work. I was primarily a Wii owner for years and Sonic 4 is possibly one of the most damning arguements that episodic gaming just cannot work. Episode 2 never ever came to the Wii, is never going to come to the Wii, so everyone who invested in Episode 1 has in fact wasted money on an incomplete game. There is also the valve example and their incredible gift for procrastination and the fact that if Episode 1 doesn't sell well funding is pulled and the game remains unfinished. Personaly for this to work I think publishers need to offer full refunds for the title if they don't complete it because asking for money for an unfinished game, well it's just really bad.

Secondly, digital distribution, something really radical needs to happen to the pricing structure that MS and Sony use before this gets remotely realistic. Supermarkets undercut the RRP on day one, I can pick up Dead Island GOTY for a tenner in Asda. That's almost a fiver less than it's vanilla counterpart on the marketplace. the occasional sale doesn't cut it either, they need to make regular reductions to game price to keep competitive which at current they don't. Digital distribution costs these companies less money, they should pass the savings onto the consumer rather than try and exploit us.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby Grummy » 27 Apr 2013, 16:34

Something else I think next gen gaming should bring is a broader approach to franchises. In this modern age of gaming a particular franchise doesn't need to be pigeonholed as one single genre of game, many of them have the potential for a broader approach. My favourite example is Mass Effect. All the potential in the world as an RPG, both story driven and action, it would also work extremely well as a pure shooter. 3rd person action adventure? Definitely. Survival Horror, yep, easily. Platformer? Sure, no reason why not. Mass battler (Divinity Warriors style thing)? Easy. Hell, you could even make an Assassins Creed style game, an RTS, a city/world builder. XCOM ripoff would work a treat and a Civ/Alpha Centauri style game would be amazing. You could probably even get a racing game out of it if you really tried.

The point is, franchises can cover larger ground in terms of game genres and would server to enhance to franchise as a whole, tell more stories. Just look at the Star Wars franchise over the years, it's had just about every game type you could imagine and whilst some of them have been naff, some have been incredible. I want to see more developers take this approach, expand the franchises they create, give us a greater variety of games whilst maintaining the narrative integrity.
One. Warrior. Nation.
User avatar
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9330
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 19:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby SilentDark » 27 Apr 2013, 17:19

You certainly bring up an interesting idea Grummy and Mass Effect would certainly work well as a pure shooter, you only really need to strip out the RPG elements and you basically have Gears of War with less steroids. However (and this was obviously coming, being as arguementative as I am) Isn't the main draw of the mass effect franchise the RPG elements? The idea that you can affect the game through descision making and that your decisions have far reaching consequences. Also the more rabid of the fans will resist any sort of change (while simultaneously complaining about how they want something different) and of course exhibit A C&C Renegade, the game which finished off Westwood Studios and was an attempt to make something other than an RTS set in the Tiberium universe, and there hasn't been an attempt to change genre since then.

Personally I would like a Mass Effect game to go for a more pure RPG approach, actual stats which affect abilities, a much broader range of classes and definately races. One of my big bugbears regarding ME and KotOR was the lack of race option. Being able to play as an Asari huntress or a Turian Operative would increase the options available and make playthoughs even more diverse. I would like it if certain character builds allowed you to completly circumvent combat, either through steath or charm/intimidate scores.

Or what about something along the lines of freelancer, you get your own ship and you can basically do what you want, follow the plot, act as a cop, mercenary, pirate or just get yourself a cruiser and engage in a trading business. Mass Effect as a free roaming space combat sim could be very interesting.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby senote » 27 Apr 2013, 17:51

All good points, but also all controversial.

Points 1 'Games will grow up' and 2 'New pricing structures pave the way for new game models' are both unrelated to the console generation, in fact it would have shown far more creativity had MS and devs tried to do that in this generation, MS seem to be willing to try new things but always seem to end up not trying hard enough, or giving up totally.

Point 3 'Easier ways to capture and share gameplay video content' is actually one of the strongest cases for a new generation, we live in a high def world and as I learnt when trying to upload a COD:MW2 video to youtube the 360 doesn't really have the power to make full use of the available social options.

Point 4 'More meaningful and inventive multiplayer experiences' much like 1 and 2 it's an issue with developers rather than the console or generation itself, while it's quite true this generation has been limited in terms of multiplayer, especially since most games seem to have problems handling over 16-24 players, I can't see that improving in the next-generation, if you're also going to improve the overall gameplay experience.

Point 5 'More support for Indie on XBLA' I couldn't agree more, when MS made the most recent alteration to the 360 dash the 'indie' games were buried so deep you'd need to drill to china to find them, even now there are most certainly some real gems on there that don't get anywhere near the level of support or exposure they deserve.

Point 6 'Finally conquer the uncanny valley' Amen, it always freaks me the F out when I see two characters in a game kiss and it's like watching to goldfish try to eat each other. But you can't stop chasing photorealism until you can do it, the only way they will ever achieve it is to keep trying.

Point 7 'Digital distribution becomes the norm' God I hope not, I actually like digital distribution but I much prefer to actually go and shop for a game, in fact the presence of Game stores was one of the signs that gaming had become a mainstream activity, digital distribution just shoves it right back into the bedroom as a 'boys pastime', not to mention the fact the UK, and probably the US as well almost certainly don't have the internet infrastructure to be able to handle something like the day 1 release of the next call of duty. Anyone here who's been around long enough to remember when XBL went down over Christmas the year Modern Warfare 1 came out knows that the demand for these games will be a problem.

Overall instead of a new generation of consoles I'd much rather have seen them try to fix the things that are wrong with this generation.
User avatar
senote 27
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 13:04
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby senote » 27 Apr 2013, 17:56

fracturedrich wrote:I would like faster updates to bug ridden games.I buy a lot of titles as soon as they hit the shelves to find that i would of been better off waiting until the patch.


I agree, it's disgusting the way MS make it such a difficult thing for publishers to patch games, all the reasonable people have accepted that it's almost impossible to release a game without problems, we'd just prefer it if MS didn't make it a 6 month wait for those problems to be fixed.

fracturedrich wrote:The system complaints process needs to sorted out aswell.I have like 60 percent people i have played against have complained that i have used abusive language against them,the funny thing is i never use a microphone due to me being a yam yam,i only use microphone if it's needed and to add to that i never swear.


You can ignore that, I don't think it actually does anything anyway, the whole rating and feedback seems to be totally for show and has no relevance to anything, in fact perhaps MS could look at some kind of actual working feedback system in the next generation.
User avatar
senote 27
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 13:04
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby Grummy » 27 Apr 2013, 18:44

SilentDark wrote:You certainly bring up an interesting idea Grummy and Mass Effect would certainly work well as a pure shooter, you only really need to strip out the RPG elements and you basically have Gears of War with less steroids. However (and this was obviously coming, being as arguementative as I am) Isn't the main draw of the mass effect franchise the RPG elements? The idea that you can affect the game through descision making and that your decisions have far reaching consequences. Also the more rabid of the fans will resist any sort of change (while simultaneously complaining about how they want something different) and of course exhibit A C&C Renegade, the game which finished off Westwood Studios and was an attempt to make something other than an RTS set in the Tiberium universe, and there hasn't been an attempt to change genre since then.

Personally I would like a Mass Effect game to go for a more pure RPG approach, actual stats which affect abilities, a much broader range of classes and definately races. One of my big bugbears regarding ME and KotOR was the lack of race option. Being able to play as an Asari huntress or a Turian Operative would increase the options available and make playthoughs even more diverse. I would like it if certain character builds allowed you to completly circumvent combat, either through steath or charm/intimidate scores.

Or what about something along the lines of freelancer, you get your own ship and you can basically do what you want, follow the plot, act as a cop, mercenary, pirate or just get yourself a cruiser and engage in a trading business. Mass Effect as a free roaming space combat sim could be very interesting.


You're thinking too linearly. Why can't it be all those things? That's the whole point of creating a franchise that can cross boundaries. I'm not advocating making one or the other, I'm advocating that EA, who now owns ME, use this incredibly versatile franchise with their incredible resources and make more games of different genre in a single franchise. Leave Bioware to make true RPGs and give other genre games to other studios better suited to them.

To put it in simpler terms, it's about time games followed the example of the Marvel Film Universe. The individual stories are just that, individual, and each hero has a different focus, there is even different platforms for the stories to be told with the Shield TV show likely to be picked up. All of this variety and yet it all ties in to a larger meta story that resolves in each Avengers movie. The best franchises in gaming can do just the same thing, and they should. Sure, people will bitch about it at first, but all it takes is EA to come out and say 'we're still making core ME games developed by Bioware, but these are other games in different genres that support the franchise, add more stories. Just because ME started out as an RPG, it doesn't mean that people will only respond to RPGs, for one thing, MEs pure RPG credentials are shaky at best as EA/Bioware have steadily shifted it away from an RPG to a hybrid game.

Personally, I'd be much happier with a new pure RPG in the series AND a separate shooter that doesn't have to worry about playing around with RPG elements. Hell, the shooter genres in general are in dire need of a new experience to shake things up, pure FPS and 3PS games set in the ME universe could challenge both Halo and Gears of War on the sci-fi shooter front and also be EAs way of breaking Acti's dominance with CoD. A publisher with high quality military shooters AND Sci-fi shooters on their books and being released bi-annually? Frankly i'm surprised they haven't thought of this before. They could even challenge the AC games if they wanted. Think about it, and AC style game that focuses on Thane Krios and tells his back story?

No doubt it would take some measure of bravery and a lot of planning from EA, they'd probably need to hire a team to purely oversee all the individual games in the franchise and make sure they all tie together for consistency (kind what Joss Whedon now does for the Marvel Film Universe), but it would work and (assuming the game are decent) be very successful.
One. Warrior. Nation.
User avatar
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9330
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 19:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby lordsamoni1 » 27 Apr 2013, 22:20

I second a ME FPS. Turian human 1st contact war, rachni war or krogan rebellion would be great. also a open world ME would be awesome maybe skyrim/fallout style covering many worlds with loads of stuff to find and most humanoid races are playable :)
On topic, xbox will change alot but will still be basicaly the same, heres hopin they dont ruin it :s
lordsamoni1 2
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 21 Feb 2013, 12:49
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby DHUK » 28 Apr 2013, 00:21

SilentDark wrote:Secondly, digital distribution, something really radical needs to happen to the pricing structure that MS and Sony use before this gets remotely realistic. Supermarkets undercut the RRP on day one, I can pick up Dead Island GOTY for a tenner in Asda. That's almost a fiver less than it's vanilla counterpart on the marketplace. the occasional sale doesn't cut it either, they need to make regular reductions to game price to keep competitive which at current they don't. Digital distribution costs these companies less money, they should pass the savings onto the consumer rather than try and exploit us.


A family member of mine works for Microsoft and said that after speaking to the Xbox Team that part of the reason that prices remain high on Games on Demand is the unwillingness of Microsoft to damage their relationship with Bricks and Mortar Retailers, as the market is not yet geared in a way that digital distribution can make that leap which therefore means undercutting physical retailers is not yet viable.

Though having said that, at some point I would love to see digital fully take over and pricing adjust properly, as £40+ as is currently charged on GoD is absurd when I can go on Amazon and get Tomb Raider and Dishonoured plus 1st class delivery for almost the price of 1 GoD priced game
User avatar
DHUK 43
 
Posts: 129
Joined: 17 Apr 2013, 17:18

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby SilentDark » 28 Apr 2013, 00:29

Grummy wrote:.
You're thinking too linearly. Why can't it be all those things? That's the whole point of creating a franchise that can cross boundaries. I'm not advocating making one or the other, I'm advocating that EA, who now owns ME, use this incredibly versatile franchise with their incredible resources and make more games of different genre in a single franchise. Leave Bioware to make true RPGs and give other genre games to other studios better suited to them.

To put it in simpler terms, it's about time games followed the example of the Marvel Film Universe. The individual stories are just that, individual, and each hero has a different focus, there is even different platforms for the stories to be told with the Shield TV show likely to be picked up. All of this variety and yet it all ties in to a larger meta story that resolves in each Avengers movie. The best franchises in gaming can do just the same thing, and they should. Sure, people will bitch about it at first, but all it takes is EA to come out and say 'we're still making core ME games developed by Bioware, but these are other games in different genres that support the franchise, add more stories. Just because ME started out as an RPG, it doesn't mean that people will only respond to RPGs, for one thing, MEs pure RPG credentials are shaky at best as EA/Bioware have steadily shifted it away from an RPG to a hybrid game.

Personally, I'd be much happier with a new pure RPG in the series AND a separate shooter that doesn't have to worry about playing around with RPG elements. Hell, the shooter genres in general are in dire need of a new experience to shake things up, pure FPS and 3PS games set in the ME universe could challenge both Halo and Gears of War on the sci-fi shooter front and also be EAs way of breaking Acti's dominance with CoD. A publisher with high quality military shooters AND Sci-fi shooters on their books and being released bi-annually? Frankly i'm surprised they haven't thought of this before. They could even challenge the AC games if they wanted. Think about it, and AC style game that focuses on Thane Krios and tells his back story?

No doubt it would take some measure of bravery and a lot of planning from EA, they'd probably need to hire a team to purely oversee all the individual games in the franchise and make sure they all tie together for consistency (kind what Joss Whedon now does for the Marvel Film Universe), but it would work and (assuming the game are decent) be very successful.


I understand where you are coming from but the Marvel film universe, probably not the best illustration of that. You see the marvel film universe, Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, not only are these all movies in the same genre (Superhero action films) but the plan was always from day one to create a large movie franchise out of them. Hence Samuel L. Jackson's cameos and the stingers at the end credits and whatnot. Mass Effect was planned as a trilogy and now EA are looking to squeeze that cash cow teat for all it's worth, your idea while certainly makes a lot of sense from a financial standpoint is also filled with risk, more often than not it fails miserably. Another potential hazard is franchise saturation. CoDs biggest problem is that we are sick of seeing that same franchise year in and year out. At this point I don't think it would matter if next years CoD was an RTS and the following year 3PS and the year after an RPG. CoD is a series we all want a break from (or not as the case may be for some) of course it could be done right, it could be a very sucessful enterprise but this is EA we're talking about and they will find some way to mess it up.

DHUK wrote:
A family member of mine works for Microsoft and said that after speaking to the Xbox Team that part of the reason that prices remain high on Games on Demand is the unwillingness of Microsoft to damage their relationship with Bricks and Mortar Retailers, as the market is not yet geared in a way that digital distribution can make that leap in a way that means undercutting physical retailers is not yet viable.

Though having said that, at some point I would love to see digital fully take over and pricing adjust properly, as £40+ as is currently charged on GoD is absurd


That certainly makes sense but aren't microsoft always going to have to rely on retailers in some form anyway? I mean it's not like they can digitally download their hardware, so either MS needs to take the plunge and risk angering the retailers or just realise that as long as their pricing remains as is thatdDigital distribution is just never going to replace physical media
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby Grummy » 28 Apr 2013, 05:47

SilentDark wrote:
Grummy wrote:.
You're thinking too linearly. Why can't it be all those things? That's the whole point of creating a franchise that can cross boundaries. I'm not advocating making one or the other, I'm advocating that EA, who now owns ME, use this incredibly versatile franchise with their incredible resources and make more games of different genre in a single franchise. Leave Bioware to make true RPGs and give other genre games to other studios better suited to them.

To put it in simpler terms, it's about time games followed the example of the Marvel Film Universe. The individual stories are just that, individual, and each hero has a different focus, there is even different platforms for the stories to be told with the Shield TV show likely to be picked up. All of this variety and yet it all ties in to a larger meta story that resolves in each Avengers movie. The best franchises in gaming can do just the same thing, and they should. Sure, people will bitch about it at first, but all it takes is EA to come out and say 'we're still making core ME games developed by Bioware, but these are other games in different genres that support the franchise, add more stories. Just because ME started out as an RPG, it doesn't mean that people will only respond to RPGs, for one thing, MEs pure RPG credentials are shaky at best as EA/Bioware have steadily shifted it away from an RPG to a hybrid game.

Personally, I'd be much happier with a new pure RPG in the series AND a separate shooter that doesn't have to worry about playing around with RPG elements. Hell, the shooter genres in general are in dire need of a new experience to shake things up, pure FPS and 3PS games set in the ME universe could challenge both Halo and Gears of War on the sci-fi shooter front and also be EAs way of breaking Acti's dominance with CoD. A publisher with high quality military shooters AND Sci-fi shooters on their books and being released bi-annually? Frankly i'm surprised they haven't thought of this before. They could even challenge the AC games if they wanted. Think about it, and AC style game that focuses on Thane Krios and tells his back story?

No doubt it would take some measure of bravery and a lot of planning from EA, they'd probably need to hire a team to purely oversee all the individual games in the franchise and make sure they all tie together for consistency (kind what Joss Whedon now does for the Marvel Film Universe), but it would work and (assuming the game are decent) be very successful.


I understand where you are coming from but the Marvel film universe, probably not the best illustration of that. You see the marvel film universe, Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, not only are these all movies in the same genre (Superhero action films) but the plan was always from day one to create a large movie franchise out of them. Hence Samuel L. Jackson's cameos and the stingers at the end credits and whatnot. Mass Effect was planned as a trilogy and now EA are looking to squeeze that cash cow teat for all it's worth, your idea while certainly makes a lot of sense from a financial standpoint is also filled with risk, more often than not it fails miserably. Another potential hazard is franchise saturation. CoDs biggest problem is that we are sick of seeing that same franchise year in and year out. At this point I don't think it would matter if next years CoD was an RTS and the following year 3PS and the year after an RPG. CoD is a series we all want a break from (or not as the case may be for some) of course it could be done right, it could be a very sucessful enterprise but this is EA we're talking about and they will find some way to mess it up.


No, the MFU is a great illustration of my point, you're just still directly linking it to ME, I only use ME as an example as it is currently the most applicable, it's the current franchise with the greatest potential, but the MFU is evidence of how a planned and structured meta franchise can work. Sure the MFU was set out to be an interwoven web of films, but not a TV show, this was added recently because it would work, and from what has been said, it's very different, not the high action of the films, but more of a typically Whedonesque dramady with action moments. This doesn't make it a bad comparison though. Yes ME started out with a different purpose, but it has the capacity to transcend its original purpose. If you want to look at things like that Comic Books were only meant to be Comic books they moved to TV and then film because they could. They can change media and games can change genre without losing artistic and narrative integrity.

You say my idea is filled with risk and more often than not fails? How many other game franchises have tried to make a planned and structured multiple genre meta franchise? I can't think of any. C&C tried something different as a test, an idea from nothing and people didn't take to it because they wanted just more RTS games. This isn't surprising as they were afraid of losing a high quality RTS franchise. I'm not advocating this.Star Wars have crossed a lot of genres, but they've had a lot of very crap games and there was no real plan or structure, it was a case of throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks. Halo, a very successful franchise also had Halo Wars which, whilst not as popular, was still a very good game that a lot of people DID like, it wasn't in any way a failure. Warhammer 40K has had more success, but it wasn't planned either. Dawn of War is an awesome RTS, DoW 2 is a solid and fun RTS/RPG hybrid, as a campaign, it's a very clever system. Then they made Space Marine, an attempt at the GoW game type. It wasn't perfect, but it was fun. Last gen also had Fire Warrior which was an excellent FPS. Again, this was more a case of trying different things than a plan, but it worked.

So yes, there is evidence where cross genre struggles, there is also evidence where it succeeds, but all that evidence is on franchises that have had random games made just to try other stuff. That's not what I'm advocating. There has never been a massive cross genre franchise, never has any publisher gone out and chosen to develop a huge meta world in this fashion. To continue the example with ME, the original trilogy did a good job of telling one story, but did a much better, much more important job of setting up this huge universe full of worlds, species, stories etc, it is as well defined a universe as Star Trek and Star Wars. If EA decided to take the meta franchise approach they could easily just put particular studios in charge of particular games and the games themselves would likely be decent, but if they were smart (very questionable) they would have people overseeing the meta franchise to make sure everything ties together. I'm not talking about bringing all the threads together for one mega game, but by planning for each game and its story to tie in with the lore, the history, to be consistent. At that point the only real risk is that the individual games are crap, and say what you will about EA, they don't tend to make crap games.

Franchise saturation? Not something we've ever come across before. People aren't sick of CoD because it's more CoD, they're sick of it because it's basically the exact same game every year, no real change of any value. This isn't something I'm advocating. We don't know how well a cross genre CoD would have worked because we've never seen it, but whilst you say it wouldn't work, I don't agree, if Activision came out at E3 and declared they were working on more CoD but also a new RTS game in the series, people would be intrigued, interest revitalized. Of course people would be sceptical, they would have good reason to be, but people wouldn't just fart on it. What I am advocating though is the merits of a planned cross genre approach, letting people know that the changes in genre is not an attempt to shift away from the core, but rather to expand on the potential. People get fed up with annual releases when they're the exact same basic game over and over again, but a planned franchise that had pure genre approaches that all had multiple year development cycles? Imagine for a moment that Bioware make another 3 ME RPGs, but this time they are all pure RPGs, not hybrids, and that the shooter half of the hybrid is taken out because a separate studio are working on a series of pure shooters. Would this not be better? I recall you saying yourself you would prefer a more pure RPG experience. So lets say we get it, and we also have shooters, the games are in the same franchise but are entirely different genres that are only similar in the basic character and world design, but the stories could be entirely separate, never directly linking. Would people really become jaded and tired of regular ME games when they're actually very different experiences. This wouldn't be CoD "Oh joy, here comes another modern military shooter". Perhaps people would get tired of the same franchise over and over, but I doubt it, despite them being the exact same games over and over EA, Activision and even Ubisoft all thrive on the consistency of their major franchises, people still buy them anyway. I don't believe it's the franchises that are the problem, it's the identical games year after year that are.

I've used ME as a consistent example because it is the easiest current franchise to make the point with, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it NEEDS to be ME, it would be just as good if a new franchise was created for the job. Defiance could work. It's got a TV show which has a lot of potential and a very popular MMO, plus the world that is being created could easily allow for a number of different genre of games to be made.

To get down to the main point. This next generation of gaming has the potential to transcend what has gone before. In previous generations single games were made and if they happened to be successful a sequel was made and that cycle continued for as long as the demand was there. This generation has allowed developers to plan multi-game storylines. Sometimes it works (ME) sometimes it doesn't (Too Human) the difference? Quality of the game. Next gen and beyond can allow a publisher like EA to build on this, to create a real brand loyalty in fans by giving them the games they want and also creating other games in the brand that will just help it to keep growing. ME is the perfect brand/franchise for this right now and there is a lot of potential for it to work with Warhammer 40K, all it will take is a publisher brave enough to step up and plan it properly.
One. Warrior. Nation.
User avatar
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9330
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 19:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: All change: seven ways the next gen needs to revolutioni

Postby SilentDark » 28 Apr 2013, 13:42

Well Grummy you point to the SHIELD tv show as evidence of the MCU as expanding into other waters, except of course that Joss Whedon hasn't had a sucessful show since Angel finished. If this does get viewers it will be totally based on brand recognition rather than any ability by Whedon, a guy who is at best overrated. Personally I don't see it working for similar reasons that Birds of Pray didn't work, the central character of SHIELD tends to be Nick Fury, they'll be lucky if he even manages to cameo in a single episode and SLJs fee will probably smash the budget for production. You point to Warhammer 40k as another example, and yes it has become an expansive media franchise, starting as a tabletop game for people with more money than sense expanding into books and videogames but Fire Warrior and Space Marine aren't good examples of a sucessful transistion into other genres given that I can now pick up Space Marine for cheaper than Dawn of War in most places I'd say it certainly didn't do as well. Dawn of War is excellent because it strips down the complexities of the Tabletop game and allows you to play as various armies at a much lower cost than buying the minitures, it also does something different in the RTS genre, encouraging exploration and discouraging turtling.

You mentioned the failure of Renegade being down to fear by the fanbase that they were losing their favourite RTS series, wouldn't that be the case for any franchise that expands a bit? Part of the reason developers provide stuff that is the same old same old is because on some level that's what people want. it's all very well to complain about how CoD is just the same game every year but it still sells like hot cakes. If Activision announced than next years CoD was an RTS or an RPG the fanbase would go mental, flame wars would errupt over the internet. Which lets me get back on topic. I don't think the next gen will offer much in the way of innovation because people don't want it, we all want stuff that is safe and familiar. Okami on the PS2 deserved to be sucessful, but few of us bought it, why? Because it wasn't basically an incremental update of an established franchise. So as much as we can talk about all the changes we want and things we wish were different we are basically not interested in change at all, we want the safe and familiar because at £40 a pop we can't really afford to be wrong about something can we?
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66
 
Posts: 2672
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Captain_Chao5, Red620Ti and 2 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]