to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox Holodeck - Microsoft video showcases IllumiRoom's next

Your comments on our articles.

Includes footage of Borderlands and Portal, augmented with projection tech

Remember Xbox IllumiRoom? The device which projects game graphics beyond your TV screen? Microsoft R&D has now explicitly badged the thing as a next generation console peripheral, via an eye-popping new proof-of-technology video.... read more

Xbox Holodeck - Microsoft video showcases IllumiRoom's next

Postby ItchyRash » 29 Apr 2013, 11:36

This interests me much more than Kinect ever could. Looks like it's quite restrictive, like Kinect, in making me have my tv and xbox right in the centre of my living room against a wall. The features in that video looked really interesting though but wonder if it would get a bit annoying after a while or a bit distracting
ItchyRash 42

Re: Xbox Holodeck - Microsoft video showcases IllumiRoom's n

Postby KernowDevil23 » 29 Apr 2013, 11:38

One problem. We don't have a coffee table.

Oh well.....
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby SilentDark » 29 Apr 2013, 11:42

Urge to kill rising :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nintendo I blame you for this :evil: :evil: :evil:
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby Lazarus22nd » 29 Apr 2013, 12:39

That looks really good, nothing wrong with a bit of extra screen in an FPS and the extra effects can be fun, shame they haven't got a full room model up and running though. Phillips TVs used to do a similar kind of thing (they might still do) and is surprisingly effective even on just mood lighting which extends colours from the screen.
Lazarus22nd 55

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 29 Apr 2013, 15:21

Looks good if you happen to have your Tv in the middle of a wall and several square metres of space all around. In the real world (that's where most of us live M$) this would be less impressive...a bit like Kinect.
You don't stop playing because you get older; you get older because you stop playing.

GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Captain_Chao5 57

Postby Chameleon » 29 Apr 2013, 15:45

Currently considering buying a bigger house so we've got a spare room or two for peeps to stay over... sod them. Imma have an xbox room so I can get the TV out of the corner like it is at the moment and into the middle of the wall to get this (and a decent 5.1 system) set up right. I just hope it turns out half as good as the promos look.
Chameleon 44

Postby Dave2123 » 29 Apr 2013, 17:10

It is a fantastic idea, but obviously the limitations are numerous, although I'm sure even on a smaller wall or in a corner it would did still have quite a good effect.
Dave2123 29

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 29 Apr 2013, 17:42

This looks quite interesting, and I look forward to seeing it action, though I have to say that I think I might find it far too distracting to use on a regular basis. It might be good for sending my cats into a frenzy though! :lol:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby PaladinRonin » 29 Apr 2013, 19:38

Trutly amazing.
This honestly sounds really cool. I like the idea of making the extended field of view enchance gameplay, and even the options like making objects bounce of objects in the room is a fun idea. The lighting from the racing game being effected by the objects in the room was a nice touch.
I can see this going far.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 32

Postby Pompey78 » 29 Apr 2013, 19:57

The concept looks really interesting but is it just me or the examples in the video to me are harder to define rather than easier.

Maybe have to see it in person.

Also don't think this would work in our lounge as 1) no coffee table and 2) looking at how far awary the concept projector is in their demo living room mine isn't even wide enough and will have the same issue as kinect.

However I'm sure that by lauch it will have improved how far away frmo the TV the project needs to sit.

time will tell as they say (who i don't know)
Gamertag MattHayward
Getting my kids into gaming to justify an Xbox One purchase :)
Pompey78 32