to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

New Batman: Arkham Origins screenshots reveal takedowns, vil

Your comments on our articles.

Bruce Wayne goes staff to Batclaw with Deathstroke

Gosh, new Batman: Arkham Origins screenshots. They're the Monday morning equivalent of somebody slapping you across the face with a velvet glove - sumptuously detailed, crackling with superheroic savagery and black, black, black. Hey, maybe I should shut up and let you view them already.... read more

New Batman: Arkham Origins screenshots reveal takedowns, vil

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 29 Apr 2013, 11:57

The 3rd image is very Christian Bale-esque I have to say.

Am I the only one seeing a recycled Arkham City with just a layer of snow and some Christmas decorations?

Id like to know how much of the game is set in 'Old Gotham/Arkham City' compared to the 'New Gotham' As if I wanted to run around Arkham City again Id just play Arkham City.

Any word on an actual gameplay trailer yet?
Johnbhoy69 54

Re: New Batman: Arkham Origins screenshots reveal takedowns,

Postby SilentDark » 29 Apr 2013, 12:00

Is it just me or are pictures 8 and 15 not screenshots at all but concept art?
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby OXM ETboy » 29 Apr 2013, 12:04

Yep, they're concept art.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SilentDark » 29 Apr 2013, 12:06

They would make rather cool Christmas card images. Merry Christmas from the Goddamn Batman. :D
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby OXM ETboy » 29 Apr 2013, 12:11

"The Goddamn Batman". Is that some kind of alt-universe character?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Aoife » 29 Apr 2013, 12:11

SilentDark wrote:They would make rather cool Christmas card images. Merry Christmas from the Goddamn Batman. :D

Well now I know what my mailing list will be receiving come December...
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Aoife » 29 Apr 2013, 12:16

OXM ETboy wrote:"The Goddamn Batman". Is that some kind of alt-universe character?

Behold. Image
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby OXM ETboy » 29 Apr 2013, 12:19

Aha. Is this as bad as me not knowing who April O'Neil is?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Aoife » 29 Apr 2013, 12:21

OXM ETboy wrote:Aha. Is this as bad as me not knowing who April O'Neil is?

No, not quite that bad...
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Apr 2013, 12:27

OXM Aoife wrote:
OXM ETboy wrote:Aha. Is this as bad as me not knowing who April O'Neil is?

No, not quite that bad...

Nothing's that bad Ed. I'd accept you not knowing the Prime Minister before that :wink:

@johnboy

The devs have said that Origins is twice the size of Arkham City, so I'd guess at the very least 50% of the area will be new. Plus since Arkham City was set after an earthquake and several months of being a prison/war zone I think even Old Gotham will be slightly more than just more of the same over laid with some snow.
Last edited by CunningSmile on 29 Apr 2013, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 29 Apr 2013, 12:29

OXM Aoife wrote:Behold. Image

Everyone hated Batman Legends but I liked it. Shame it never got finished
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 29 Apr 2013, 14:57

CunningSmile wrote:The devs have said that Origins is twice the size of Arkham City, so I'd guess at the very least 50% of the area will be new. Plus since Arkham City was set after an earthquake and several months of being a prison/war zone I think even Old Gotham will be slightly more than just more of the same over laid with some snow.

Until we actually see the game in action nothing is certain. The developers will have access to Rocksteady's models of Arkham City, from there its a case of cut out old the models/areas and paste in the new. Look at Harley Quinns revenge, Playing through areas you have already played with a few new models/locations is something Id expect of DLC not a full price game.

Image 12 of Deathstroke looks directly ripped from Arkham City itself with the character model and perhaps that neon sign the only new additions.
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Apr 2013, 15:18

Johnbhoy69 wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:The devs have said that Origins is twice the size of Arkham City, so I'd guess at the very least 50% of the area will be new. Plus since Arkham City was set after an earthquake and several months of being a prison/war zone I think even Old Gotham will be slightly more than just more of the same over laid with some snow.

Until we actually see the game in action nothing is certain. The developers will have access to Rocksteady's models of Arkham City, from there its a case of cut out old the models/areas and paste in the new. Look at Harley Quinns revenge, Playing through areas you have already played with a few new models/locations is something Id expect of DLC not a full price game.

Image 12 of Deathstroke looks directly ripped from Arkham City itself with the character model and perhaps that neon sign the only new additions.

It's fairly unrealistic, regardless of whether it's DLC or a prequel, to expect them to change the architecture of a city, purely because it's a city and cities don't change much over time. Personally I'd be mightily pissed off if I was swinging through Old Gotham and didn't recognise it, after all that's how Gotham is. It's no different if Rockstar released a game set in Vice City and I didn't recognise it from GTA: Vice City. It's a break in immersion and makes the whole world they're creating that much less realistic.

And how comes you're using Harley's Revenge as an example? That was DLC so by your own arguement is should be reusing assets.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 29 Apr 2013, 16:06

CunningSmile wrote:It's fairly unrealistic, regardless of whether it's DLC or a prequel, to expect them to change the architecture of a city, purely because it's a city and cities don't change much over time. Personally I'd be mightily pissed off if I was swinging through Old Gotham and didn't recognise it, after all that's how Gotham is. It's no different if Rockstar released a game set in Vice City and I didn't recognise it from GTA: Vice City. It's a break in immersion and makes the whole world they're creating that much less realistic.

And how comes you're using Harley's Revenge as an example? That was DLC so by your own arguement is should be reusing assets.

Cities change all the time. A city is a living breathing thing. Where I live there is always some kind of construction work ongoing even in run down areas. As this game is set before that area was allowed to fall completely into disrepair its not unrealistic to expect some significant changes in the architecture.

Also the buildings should have people still living in them and not all be boarded up and abandoned.The streets shouldn't be mostly empty with large fences everywhere. I know it still going to be run down as its the poorer part of Gotham but not to the extent we see in Arkham City. The Wonder Tower area is reportedly going to be a shopping district which denotes that there is still some economy in this part of the city which in turn implies that people come here so the subway system that you run through for a lot of Arkham City should be operational.

It should be unrecognisable from Arkham City, not in Layout but in the look and atmosphere. Arkham City was an unsafe dilapidated prison and was very much a game where you felt alone, just Batman against all the inmates. At the time this game is set its a populated area. Its important to show that and not just with shop windows showing Christmas decorations to create the illusion of a lived in area.

Obviously main places from Arkham City should still be present like the Museum and The Courthouse, (Maybe still under construction) which are handy as landmark guides to navigate your way around.

I bring up Harley Quinns revenge as some areas, not all, are Locations from the Main game with a few new additions.At the beginning you can see the bridges that were blown in Arkham City are Visibly under repair. Old location new models/assets, Completely acceptable for DLC as I said. Unacceptable for a new game however.
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby CunningSmile » 30 Apr 2013, 10:39

We seem to be arguing the same side of this arguement...

I started off by pointing out that 'City was after an Earthquake and six months as a prison so would look different.

However I think you'll still see large sections of Old Gotham looking run down and boarded up. The area in every media type is supposed to be the sort of place where it's citizens look forward to going on holiday to slums. Legendary Batman writer Denny O'neil once said in his opinion the best part of Gotham should be written as the worst part New York at 2AM in the morning when it's raining, the police are on strike and there's been a riot. It's why Sharp could get away with turning it into a prison.
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Next