to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Female FIFA players? EA considering it but "no plans" for FI

Your comments on our articles.

"It is something we have talked about," says producer

Female footballers in FIFA 14? What would be the point? It's not like 47 per cent of games enthusiasts in the US are women, is it? It's not as if the idea represents both an untapped commercial opportunity and a chance to build on EA's not-inconsiderable reputation as a non-discriminatory organisation, right? Right.... read more

Female FIFA players? EA considering it but "no plans" for FI

Postby Bezza89 » 29 Apr 2013, 15:04

I can't see them doing leagues and stuff, but I'd say they need at least internationals in, it's not as if they don't use the same players every year anyway, get some new ones.

I'd also like celebrities, Fifa Towie - I'd slide tackle everyone.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Re: Female FIFA players? EA considering it but "no plans" fo

Postby Baryonyx » 29 Apr 2013, 16:29

I don't see why they would bother, or why they would care. I can't even imagine girl gamers getting excited about the idea. After all, women's football is one those sports where you can reliably expect there to be more people on the pitch than spectators in the stands.
Baryonyx 42

Postby fightclubdoll » 29 Apr 2013, 16:34

Baryonyx wrote:I don't see why they would bother, or why they would care. I can't even imagine girl gamers getting excited about the idea. After all, women's football is one those sports where you can reliably expect there to be more people on the pitch than spectators in the stands.

Girl gamers and athletes got "excited" enough about it to start a petition campaign. It's been going for months, not that someone with no research behind his assumptions or personal stake in it might have considered as much.
fightclubdoll 19

Postby Metalrodent » 29 Apr 2013, 20:28

oh noes, they might actually need to research some players or something - cause thats much too much work for a mjor company with tons of money and staff
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby FishyGinger » 30 Apr 2013, 09:15

Metalrodent wrote:oh noes, they might actually need to research some players or something - cause thats much too much work for a mjor company with tons of money and staff

It probably is actually. How many extra sales would it get them for the outlay? I'd guess at not enough.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby OXM ETboy » 30 Apr 2013, 09:22

FishyGinger wrote:
Metalrodent wrote:oh noes, they might actually need to research some players or something - cause thats much too much work for a mjor company with tons of money and staff

It probably is actually. How many extra sales would it get them for the outlay? I'd guess at not enough.

I'd be happier about it if they'd just show their working. How much would it cost to model a bunch of women? Surely not all that much more than it already costs to distinguish Messi from Ronaldo.

It's probably worth remembering that this is part of a larger phenomenon, what with real-life football being a bit of a boy's treehouse.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 30 Apr 2013, 10:39

True but then how many games have they had those players in now and how many people watch these teams mainly for those players? I assume the amount of new buyers who wouldn't have bought before because there is a ladies league/players would not outweigh the cost substantially of putting them in there. Not in one go anyways, maybe if they slowly integrated it.

I'm not against it if it seems that way, I think it would be quite a good move but from a financial point of view on their half I'm not so sure.

I would be interested in my data though like the average amount of people who go to watch mens football to womens and number of players.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby battfink83 » 05 May 2013, 23:55

FishyGinger wrote:True but then how many games have they had those players in now and how many people watch these teams mainly for those players? I assume the amount of new buyers who wouldn't have bought before because there is a ladies league/players would not outweigh the cost substantially of putting them in there. Not in one go anyways, maybe if they slowly integrated it.

I'm not against it if it seems that way, I think it would be quite a good move but from a financial point of view on their half I'm not so sure.

I would be interested in my data though like the average amount of people who go to watch mens football to womens and number of players.

financially im sure they could do it with ease, ultimate team alone nets them over $50 mill a year..... :shock:
battfink83 53