to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

GTA 5: nine features we don't want to see

Your comments on our articles.

Rockstar's acclaimed crime-'em-up isn't without its faults

We're huge GTA fans, but sometimes you have to be tough on the ones you love. As good as the series is, there are some things that have bothered us since it first switched to three dimensions. Care to add to the list?... read more

GTA 5: nine features we don't want to see

Postby SidTheSloth » 30 Apr 2013, 14:17

Think this is a very good and fair article, a lot of the flaws highlighted have long had me dumbfounded as to how IV got so many flawless scores, never in a million for me, but i digress.

Only thing i'd add is something about the controls. The car handling is as divisive as i've seen with a game - i don't like them/it but learnt to tolerate it, but is that ok for a game that prominently features driving? On foot was even worse, slow, clunky, ball-achingly tedious, made the repeated shootouts all the worse, especially when you die trying to run up/down stairs or get stuck behind a wall :x Sure they can't please everyone, but they can definitely make it better. I'm told by the Hairy B that RDR's controls weren't much different, maybe because the world was so much bigger it wasn't quite as noticeable? The dead-eye bullet-time thingy helped with gun fights too.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Re: GTA 5: nine features we don't want to see

Postby marwood_03 » 30 Apr 2013, 14:28

"In GTA IV you had to shoot 100 pigeons"

It was actually 200 pigeons, research? :shock:
Gamertag: Marwood II 87
marwood_03 19

Postby SidTheSloth » 30 Apr 2013, 14:43

Oh yeah, it was 200 pigeons, not 100. I take it back, terrible article, you've undermined every single one of your points with this callous and lazy journalism. I can't even bring myself to look at it any more... In fact delete it, remove it from the site before my eyes jump out of my head and i vomit on them as they splat on the floor.

Through the whole article that was your only thought? One picky little negative? I suppose that's easier than saying 'well done, good article otherwise'. Seriously, i get the point, the number's wrong, but there's a nice way and a shitty way of saying something - i'm using the shitty way, just in case that wasn't/isn't clear...!
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby CunningSmile » 30 Apr 2013, 14:48

I think the point about character disconnect is the main gripe I have with GTA4. I loved Vice City and Tommy was a great character to play but I just found Niko thoroughly boring and dislikeable, I don't think the "I want to be a good man, let's kill a million people during this bank robbery" helped.

And I got so frustrated as well with the lack of a real economy. Memo to R*: Paying us for missions does not make it an economy if there is nothing to spend that money on, you might as well reward us with satsumas. I want decent clothes, I want OTT cars, I want small businesses (that open new story arcs) I want ever larger apartments...

...Hell, I just basically want Vice City but with better graphics.
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 30 Apr 2013, 14:49

Edits have been made ;)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby pyschometal » 30 Apr 2013, 16:06

5 hours too long! The longer the campaign, the better if you ask me. I can't stand games that suddenly end just as you are getting the hang of them and are so generic that a second play through may cause serious mental damage. GTA4 was the perfect length, and I wanted more because I bought the two add ons.

I really hope that they release another Lost and the Damned add on for GTA5. In my opinion, that should have been the the original single player as everything about it just fitted with the game style.
pyschometal 15

Postby Thomas Morrisroe » 30 Apr 2013, 16:52

Man The Wire is so freaking good!
Thomas Morrisroe 2

Postby msbhvn » 30 Apr 2013, 17:04

They definitely need to have completely overhauled the controls. A run/sprint button is lame when we have analogue sticks. Clumsy stick to cover and dodgy aiming almost ruined IV. Driving took hours to get used to and flying a helicopter was almost completely impossible!

Character development is a must for GTA V. Niko stayed the same all the way through IV despite everything that happened, which detracted from a game that was going for gritty realism. I'm not asking for The Wire, and good call on that by the way, but some kind of difference in the character by the end shouldn't be too much to ask.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby pyschometal » 30 Apr 2013, 17:18

You will recommend Breaking Bad to everyone You know!
Breaking Bad is the best show you've ever seen, except maybe The Wire!
You will never stop talking about Breaking Bad or The Wire!

Sorry, couldn't resist it :twisted:
pyschometal 15

Postby Luke94 » 30 Apr 2013, 18:43

ROMAN?! No. If he was the protagonist in the game every mission would have to deal with bowling.
Luke94 1

Postby Metalrodent » 30 Apr 2013, 18:58

All good points I agree with.
On a note with the checkpointing an difficulty I wished they'd lower the penalty for death - some of the later missions were stupidly hard, causing multiple deaths and a huge penalty in medical costs - so much so that mission completion didn't actually gain you any reward.
Another aspect of the ai I'd like to see is non-physic police, in IV I remember there was a beach with at most, 3 people on it and at times only 1 - if you were to hit or run that 1 guy over, the police would still instantly be alerted and swarm you.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby cade360 » 30 Apr 2013, 22:37

msbhvn wrote:They definitely need to have completely overhauled the controls. A run/sprint button is lame when we have analogue sticks. Clumsy stick to cover and dodgy aiming almost ruined IV. Driving took hours to get used to and flying a helicopter was almost completely impossible!

I totally disagree, I think the controls are fine. I took to the driving/flying instantly.
There is no such thing as peace in our modern world.
cade360 15

Postby Xbox11 » 01 May 2013, 16:03

pyschometal wrote:5 hours too long! The longer the campaign, the better if you ask me. I can't stand games that suddenly end just as you are getting the hang of them and are so generic that a second play through may cause serious mental damage.

You didn't get what he was trying to tell you , He is saying he doesn't want to see extra pointless hours of game play added in just as a filler, If we are going to play the game make it worth while, I don't want to kill ten thousand teddy bears, After just killings ten thousand a minute ago! Get it ?
Xbox11 29

Postby Drainwater » 01 May 2013, 23:03

I don't really mind the gameplay/story dissonance. I guess many, many years of playing games that are supposed to be about benevolent protagonists while finding the most brutal ways to kill someone (example: using the web pull ability in Spiderman 2 to yank thugs off rooftops to plummet 20 stories to the pavement below) have ruined my dissonance sense when it comes to that. And I don't mind the occasional boring mission...driving some bigshot somewhere is part of how you should start your character's progression since you're supposed to just be a peon. But I do agree, I would like more variety.

Honestly, San Andreas was nearly the perfect GTA for me. I did like Tommy Verceti in Vice City a bit better than CJ, but the story in San Andreas kept me interested, I loved the size and scope of the world, and it had top notch voice acting that brought the characters to some semblance of life. It had a fair variety of missions considering its length, and you actually kind of had the ability to build a nice criminal empire, although Vice City let you do that too. Also you had way more character customization available than in any of the others. GTA IV was fun for me, but I really did feel like it took a big step back.
Drainwater 35

Postby pyschometal » 02 May 2013, 22:49

Xbox11 wrote:
pyschometal wrote:5 hours too long! The longer the campaign, the better if you ask me. I can't stand games that suddenly end just as you are getting the hang of them and are so generic that a second play through may cause serious mental damage.

You didn't get what he was trying to tell you , He is saying he doesn't want to see extra pointless hours of game play added in just as a filler, If we are going to play the game make it worth while, I don't want to kill ten thousand teddy bears, After just killings ten thousand a minute ago! Get it ?

I did get what he was trying to say but, I think that he is wrong. I can't remember one part of the story where I was thinking "this does not need to be in the game" or "Not this again". I think the game was perfectly balanced and I do agree with him that San Andreas was boring and extremely bloated. Maybe it is based on your point of view.
pyschometal 15

Next