to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Xbox 360

Your comments on our articles.

Robocop, Terminator and He-Man walk into a bar, then hit Jason Brody with it

There is much that is perfect about Blood Dragon, not least the fact that Ubisoft decided to greenlight it in the first place. At any other company, you suspect the idea of converting your open-world shooter into a hybrid of Communist-fearing, neon-flecked 1980s sci-fi movies in which a grizzled cyborg battles laser-equipped dragons would be rejected out of hand.... read more

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Xbox 360

Postby PonderingWalrus » 30 Apr 2013, 19:37

Reckon I might give it a pop. I'm guessing it's singleplayer campaign only though, no additional modes of any kind?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Xbox 360

Postby OXM Aoife » 30 Apr 2013, 21:21

PonderingWalrus wrote:Reckon I might give it a pop. I'm guessing it's singleplayer campaign only though, no additional modes of any kind?

Single player campaign only. You can continue to explore the island after you've completed the story missions, which took me roughly six hours.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby Droidsbane » 30 Apr 2013, 22:47

well I know what ill be buying Microsoft points for tomarrow
Droidsbane 33

Postby Drainwater » 01 May 2013, 22:45

So...Duke Nukem meets Farcry with the 80's as the topic, as was pretty much predicted. Still, I gave myself Monday off work just to relax so I might check this out for some chuckles.
Drainwater 35

Postby Grummy » 02 May 2013, 07:13

I played the demo and was amazed at how quickly I went from 'OMG this is teh awsum' to 'uggh, this is really irritating'. About a half hour. I was happily stealthing my way around the first location and came to realize that it was just huge and ugly, I hate the aesthetic. I also found a few silly problems, the 'dice' throwing didn't always work. I can't remember if that was the case with the main game as well to be honest, it bugged me here, a couple of times I launched the die at a wall and the guard just ignored it and started looking somewhere else. Very annoying. The aiming felt incredibly sluggish as well, turning to aim really felt like I was trying to move through treacle, it was horrible. This could probably be tweaked in the game settings, but it annoyed me nonetheless and was just another annoyance on the list. My biggest problem is with the design and the aesthetic (again) I found myself in a hangar of some kind and I just couldn't tell who was behind cover where and who wasn't thanks to this design of a post apocalyptic America that apparently turns out to be like a bastardized retro 80s vision of a dystopian future had a 3 way with synthetic pop music and strobe lighting. It was horrible. All I could think about as I was playing was this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE1lzqJCeJ0

It's like this music became sentient and decided it wanted to be video game with a B-list Snake Plisskin on LSD as it's lead character.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby LeprechaunsWOOD » 03 May 2013, 09:07

So Grummy you didn't like it, you gave it quite the pasting considering you didn't pay for it. Don't get me wrong if you had paid for it sure scream and shout when mislead or disappointed, I get it as does everyone else who looks at your comment. I think that the reviewer nailed the aspects of the DLC quite well. You know if this is your cup of tea or not by playing the Demo. I liked it as a fun retro throwback reminded me of playing movie tie ins on my spectrum+2 128k.
LeprechaunsWOOD 30

Postby Grummy » 03 May 2013, 10:01

LeprechaunsWOOD wrote:So Grummy you didn't like it, you gave it quite the pasting considering you didn't pay for it. Don't get me wrong if you had paid for it sure scream and shout when mislead or disappointed, I get it as does everyone else who looks at your comment. I think that the reviewer nailed the aspects of the DLC quite well. You know if this is your cup of tea or not by playing the Demo. I liked it as a fun retro throwback reminded me of playing movie tie ins on my spectrum+2 128k.

So what you're doing is bitching at me because I played the demo of a spin off game based on a game I loved, and found problems with it immediately, and my points aren't valid because I only tried the demo and didn't buy the game? I have to ask because your post doesn't have a lot of grammatical merit, it seems like you're trying to make a point but you forget to do something simple like actually saying what your point is. 'Don't get me wrong....', when people start with this statement, it's normally to clarify a position pertaining to a previous statement, but you don't do that, you go off to talk about a separate aspect that doesn't relate to the 'Don't get me wrong' beginning. 'I get it as does everyone else....', get what, exactly? Herpes? Perhaps you're saying you get that I don't like the game from my post, as does everyone else. Good, that was the point of my making the post in the first place, thank you for acknowledging that basic premise of posting in a forum environment is not lost on you.

I think, in the future, if this is going to be the standard of your posts, you may want to start taking the time to write drafts and proof read them before posting. It will help you to actually make sense. Also, fyi, the suggestion that my points aren't valid just because I played the demo and not bought the game, just about the stupidest thing I've ever read.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby LeprechaunsWOOD » 03 May 2013, 19:37

I wasn't trying to make you angry; I also was not making an elaborate point pertaining to a previous post. The detail of your post was quite in-depth for someone who had only played the demo; I wasn't trying to argue with you at all. Having purchased the content I find your points have merit, in some cases(treacle). Maybe you mistook what I said or how it came across. Having only posted a few times, I certainly did not anticipate that you would so readily insult another forum post. Thanks for replying. I would also like to point out that this is a gaming forum and not a platform for abusing grammatical error, I have a wife for that!
LeprechaunsWOOD 30

Postby Grummy » 03 May 2013, 20:07

LeprechaunsWOOD wrote:I wasn't trying to make you angry I also was not making an elaborate point pertaining to a previous post. The detail of your post was quite in-depth for someone whom had only played the demo. I wasn't trying to argue with you at all. For the most part having purchased the content I find your points have merit in some cases(treacle). Maybe you mistook what I said or how it came across, having only posted a few times I certainly did not anticipate that you would so readily insult another forum post. Thanks for replying.

We get the occasional person who likes to join up and start taking shots at people so we tend to jump on it and beat it down fairly quickly. We're a nice forum of laid back peeps in truth, a small community of good, likeminded people, but we don't suffer fools or people who just want to be antagonistic. My apologies for coming down on you somewhat harshly, but that's kinda how we roll and I must admit, your post did seem very antagonistic, which is why I said I couldn't understand what you were trying to say. For what it's worth, you win some internets for taking it in good humour. Come along to the forums and see what we're like, maybe you'll like what you see and want to stick around?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby LeprechaunsWOOD » 03 May 2013, 20:26

Perhaps I will, I have been a member for a while and have not posted much or at all really. With all the hullabaloo coming in the next few months . . . thought I'd look around.
LeprechaunsWOOD 30

Postby PonderingWalrus » 04 May 2013, 13:49

LeprechaunsWOOD wrote:So Grummy you didn't like it, you gave it quite the pasting considering you didn't pay for it. Don't get me wrong if you had paid for it sure scream and shout when mislead or disappointed, I get it as does everyone else who looks at your comment. I think that the reviewer nailed the aspects of the DLC quite well. You know if this is your cup of tea or not by playing the Demo. I liked it as a fun retro throwback reminded me of playing movie tie ins on my spectrum+2 128k.

This isn't DLC, it's a stand-alone arcade title.

EDIT: Greetings relatively new forum user. I am a guy who corrects people at every possible turn.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Grummy » 05 May 2013, 07:56

lazercut123 wrote:Hello mr leprechaun guy, I also had an argument with grummy when I was quite new and don't worry about it, he's generally alright, just mistakes people for bitching at him when they usually aren't . So hello and welcome to this little community of ours.

You totally were, but you learned you don't argue with me because I have 0 tolerance for anybody who disturbs the peace in this place and since then you've posted with more consideration, I respect that.

Basically, that's my issue, new people come here expecting a typical forum filled with whiners and fanboys and start out quite aggressive, then they run into me and I charge around saying 'be nice to people you arsehole', the irony of which nobody ever finds amusing except for me. After my little hazing session people who are numbnuts tend to stay away, good guys tend to realize we're not a usual forum type place and start to mellow out and be more respectful and measured with their posts. I like that. It's harsh, I'll grant you, but it helps keep this place one of the nicer communities around.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 05 May 2013, 14:05

ghost whistler wrote:hang on.

they design a six hour campaign based on 80's SF tropes yet the rubbish on the island of lunatics was chosen for the full game instead?

Is that a joke?

Yeah, didn't really buy into Far Cry 3 myself (I have something of a love hate relationship with the franchise) so I was worried I'd have to give this a miss. Calling it Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a bit misleading, my first impression upon seeing the trailer was that it was DLC, but it isn't, or do they think that an 80s sci-fi themed FPS starring Michael Biehn wouldn't sell on it's own merits.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby jimbosolo » 05 May 2013, 16:22

I've got about half the achievements and should have them all within a few days. Its a fun game not perfect (nothing is) but lots of nods to the 80`s and some set piece`s. The main plot is very short and some features are almost forgotten at times (dice rolls) but its a cheap and cheerful fun game
jimbosolo 15

Postby xUKDrAGoNBorN » 06 May 2013, 15:44

is it me or does everything have dragons in it after skyrim
xUKDrAGoNBorN 16

Next