to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Sega and Gearbox sued over "false advertising" of Aliens: Co

Your comments on our articles.

Edelson LLC seeks damage repayments for launch-day buyers

It's all kicking off in the Sunshine State, people. Law firm Edelson LLC has filed a class action suit against Sega and Gearbox in the Northern District of California court, claiming the two firms falsely advertised Aliens: Colonial Marines at trade and preview events like PAX and E3.... read more

Sega and Gearbox sued over "false advertising" of Aliens: Co

Postby CunningSmile » 01 May 2013, 11:05

I don't think this will go far. The advertising thing in this country was because the ads stated it was game footage, the demo started with a legal disclaimer stating that it may not represent the finished article. We all take that to mean the finished article will be better, but it still covers them if it's worse.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Re: Sega and Gearbox sued over "false advertising" of Aliens

Postby Insaneyokel » 01 May 2013, 11:14

This is an interesting one! Could this lay the way open for people suing Peter moleneux for all his false promises made with regards to the fable games :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 01 May 2013, 11:20

Very relieved I dodged this train wreck of a game, was all set to go buy it but when no review was to be found anywhere on the net bar one that was promptly removed I did the smart thing and kept my money for something else.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby OXM ETboy » 01 May 2013, 11:25

Insaneyokel wrote:This is an interesting one! Could this lay the way open for people suing Peter moleneux for all his false promises made with regards to the fable games :D

Could also lay the way open for a crackdown on ridiculous review embargoes... I agree with Cunning that it's unlikely to go ballistic, though.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SkinnerChinner » 01 May 2013, 12:44

Doubt anything will come of it, as much as I'd love my 40 squids back...the 'battering' Pritchford & GBX's repuations have taken sort of goes a way toward 'compensation' :twisted:
SkinnerChinner 36

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 01 May 2013, 14:39

I'm glad this is happening. Too many publishers and developers (especially Gearbox) are more than happy to screw consumers over just to make a quick buck. Hell, these are the same people who gave us Duke Nukem Forever. I'm glad they're suffering the consequences (Still hoping that Furious Four happens, though. And that it's actually, you know, good).

For interests sake, does anyone know what exactly the discrepancies are between the gameplay footage and the actual game?
I wouldn't be surprised if it's something major like, I dunno, the finished game not having iron sights or something.

Does it have split-screen, as promised?
Lancer Armstrong 26

Postby CunningSmile » 01 May 2013, 15:59

There are a few comparison videos on YouTube, the most entertaining is by former OXM writer Matt "the traitor" Lees. Well worth looking up and watching, even if just for his commentary.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator