to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Modern Wa

Your comments on our articles.

"We're building a new sub-brand, a new engine, and a lot of new ideas and experiences for our players."

Infinity Ward and Activision execs have broken their silence over development of Call of Duty: Ghosts, describing the game as a new "sub-brand" that will introduce "a lot of new ideas and experiences" on current and next generation consoles.... read more

Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Modern Wa

Postby Dave101 » 01 May 2013, 19:02

A new engine, how exciting, 5 games too late. Why not release a hardened edition with a free turd sandwich and watch the oxm 9/10 reviews slop in.
Stopped caring at mw2, your close to being the Fifa or tiger woods of the fps, sorry.
Scrap cod, release zombies as stand alone, your sales won't suffer!
Dave101 16
 
Posts: 60
Joined: 13 Aug 2010, 17:54

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby Metalrodent » 01 May 2013, 19:25

they could release a game where all you do is teabag a rubbish dump for 5 hours and it would still be a safe bet for sales
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 71
 
Posts: 5327
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby LuRcH18489 » 01 May 2013, 20:01

only reason cod is successful is cos the big muni makers dnt do yearly releases, acti fears rockstar and valve, believe it.
if acti didnt make a cod for 3 years thy wud still sell and make muni from it, cod has become the cancer of the gaming world [u cud also argue halo for tht matter] im almost ashamed to hav the bloody thing on my game history, all we can do is try to ignore it but thy keep shovin the retched thing down our throats n in our faces, nevertheless al be leavin it on the shelves, my winter interests are limited to wwe2k14, batman ao, new xbox and possibly watchdogs.

dear activision, change the rukin fecord ¬¬
LuRcH18489 31
 
Posts: 71
Joined: 08 Aug 2008, 15:53
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby CoreyJLees » 01 May 2013, 20:21

I am completely sick to death of all you f****ts complaining about Call of Duty, yes its the most successful gaming franchise at the minute, get over it but more importantly get over yourselves for the love of god. None of you seem to realise how futile it is spewing your complaints about it online, A) No-one cares, B) If they were that bad they'd not be successful, C) Why give up on a formula that has been proven to work time and time again? If people are happy to buy it then why the f**k not.
Its this simple - don't like Call of Duty? Don't buy it. What the hell makes any of you think anyone else gives a f**k about your dislike of it, it matters to nobody stop satisfying your own pathetic egos by complaining about a very popular product just because YOU don't like it. There are alternatives, and if you don't want to try them, either shut the f**k up or throw your console in a lake because you don't deserve to have one.
I doubt that any of these COD haters are over 10 years old, because anyone else has better things to do with their time than comment on posts about games they don't even like. Get a f**king life.
Any to any of those idiots who think along the "Call of Duty is ruining FPSs" line, blame the cowardly developers of the games aping COD that darn't do anything else, not the COD developers. They've made a decent franchise and if other people are too scared to deviate from that that then they deserve to not make money.
User avatar
CoreyJLees 29
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Apr 2013, 13:38
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 01 May 2013, 20:24

The sad thing is that we who see the COD franchise for what it really is, A lazy cash grab that hasn't changed since COD 4 Modern Warfare in 2007, are in the minority. These games will continue to to sell by the sh*tload and continue to ruin the FPS genre for years to come.
Johnbhoy69 55
 
Posts: 956
Joined: 22 Dec 2011, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby CoreyJLees » 01 May 2013, 20:38

Johnbhoy69 wrote:The sad thing is that we who see the COD franchise for what it really is, A lazy cash grab that hasn't changed since COD 4 Modern Warfare in 2007, are in the minority. These games will continue to to sell by the sh*tload and continue to ruin the FPS genre for years to come.


It's amazing how a few words can make the same phrase mean completely different things. "Lazy cash grab", or, "successful franchise". They got the formula so spot on it barely needs changing, there are no huge changes that can be brought about until new hardware comes along so what exactly are you expecting? You don't change a game for the sake of changing a game, if somethings not broken it doesn't need fixing, a point none of you braindead imps seem to realise.
I'd love to hear what exactly the Call of Duty franchise has done to ruin the FPS genre. Explain because I can guarantee it's complete bullshit.
I'm not even a huge fan of Call of Duty I'm just not an ignorant moron.
User avatar
CoreyJLees 29
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Apr 2013, 13:38
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 01 May 2013, 21:09

CoreyJLees wrote:
Johnbhoy69 wrote:The sad thing is that we who see the COD franchise for what it really is, A lazy cash grab that hasn't changed since COD 4 Modern Warfare in 2007, are in the minority. These games will continue to to sell by the sh*tload and continue to ruin the FPS genre for years to come.


It's amazing how a few words can make the same phrase mean completely different things. "Lazy cash grab", or, "successful franchise". They got the formula so spot on it barely needs changing, there are no huge changes that can be brought about until new hardware comes along so what exactly are you expecting? You don't change a game for the sake of changing a game, if somethings not broken it doesn't need fixing, a point none of you braindead imps seem to realise.
I'd love to hear what exactly the Call of Duty franchise has done to ruin the FPS genre. Explain because I can guarantee it's complete bullshit.
I'm not even a huge fan of Call of Duty I'm just not an ignorant moron.


What formula are you talking about exactly? Shoot wave after wave of enemies then move on the next area and do the same while occasionally placing some C4 or operating a Predator drone, Then repeat that process for the next 6 years.
Or maybe you mean hiring a load of 'super cool celebrities' to advertise/star in the games,spending more money on those things than the development of the game itself.
Or how 90% of the campaign is all set pieces that you barely get to have any control of before you have to shoot more waves of enemies.
Or that the campaigns are so short and after the Fantastic COD 4 Modern Warfare they haven't been able to reach that level of story telling since.
Its ruined the FPS franchise due to complete over saturation of the market and other media, Intelligent people can only take having something thrown in their faces year after year before they get completely sick of it and lose interest completely. And Unintelligent people, well...
Johnbhoy69 55
 
Posts: 956
Joined: 22 Dec 2011, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby SilentDark » 01 May 2013, 21:48

Everyone was expecting us to make Modern Warfare 4, which would have been to safe thing to do


I dunno, isn't making a Call of Duty FPS the very definition of safe in gaming. Make a fighting game and then we'll talk. :lol:
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 67
 
Posts: 2707
Joined: 10 Jan 2013, 15:40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby CoreyJLees » 01 May 2013, 21:51

What formula are you talking about exactly? Shoot wave after wave of enemies then move on the next area and do the same while occasionally placing some C4 or operating a Predator drone, Then repeat that process for the next 6 years.
Or maybe you mean hiring a load of 'super cool celebrities' to advertise/star in the games,spending more money on those things than the development of the game itself.
Or how 90% of the campaign is all set pieces that you barely get to have any control of before you have to shoot more waves of enemies.
Or that the campaigns are so short and after the Fantastic COD 4 Modern Warfare they haven't been able to reach that level of story telling since.
Its ruined the FPS franchise due to complete over saturation of the market and other media, Intelligent people can only take having something thrown in their faces year after year before they get completely sick of it and lose interest completely. And Unintelligent people, well...


I'm talking about the 60fps that nearly no other game manages to achieve, I'm talking about the set pieces that regardless of what you say, are artfully crafted and have a big impact (in respect to the games story, characters and setting). This is an action/shooter game, go play Skyrim or LA Noire if you want storytelling, because, believe it or not, "shooters" are focused around "shooting" things. There doesn't have to be an insane plot for a game to be good, there are plenty of films that have no merit other than the special effects and action sequences but people love them anyway because its a spectacle, and whats wrong with that exactly? Are you too high and mighty for a bit of spectacle? And besides, there are plenty of shooters that make you think instead of just shoot. So go play them and stop whining about Call of Duty like some sadact child would do. And if they're faux-COD games, thats the fault of their weak-spined developers, not Call of Duty.
And no, its hasn't ruined anything at all, that's the most washout shitty excuse I have ever heard, and is more or less exactly what I was expecting to hear. That's the kind of bullshit excuse a failed FPS developer would use.
"Whilst yearly versions and marketing overload can cause annoyance, there's no case for Call of Duty ruining the industry or genre whatsoever. It's a first class product with a rabid fanbase. If anyone's guilty of ruining the games its everyone BUT Call of Duty. The series cannot be held responsible for everyone elses lack of balls, and it shouldn't have to change to suit anyone else. If gamers are fed up with COD influencing the design of triple-A games they need to vote with their wallets. And judging by the sales of Medal of Honor: Warfighter, Dead Space 3 et al, that's already happening". - X360 magazine. A statement I wholeheartedly agree with.
User avatar
CoreyJLees 29
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Apr 2013, 13:38
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 01 May 2013, 22:41

This is an action/shooter game, go play Skyrim or LA Noire if you want storytelling, because, believe it or not, "shooters" are focused around "shooting" things. There doesn't have to be an insane plot for a game to be good
Maybe intricate stories confuse you, its ok just enjoy the mindless shooting, wave after wave after wave. Wouldn't want your delicate mind to overheat now would we.

''There are plenty of films that have no merit other than the special effects and action sequences but people love them anyway because its a spectacle''
Admitting by comparison that these games have no merit other than special effects and action sequences but still you defend it? You must think Michael Bay movies are Oscar worthy masterpieces of film making then.

If anyone is the sad act child it is you, As by adamantly defending COD so much you have contradicted yourself and also ''outed'' yourself as a bit of fanboy with a full on throbber for COD
I'm not even a huge fan of Call of Duty

It has ruined FPS, I used to love these types of games, dating back to Goldeneye on the N64. Now they are, as we have both said all special effects and set piece based. Which you seem to think is something to praise I on the other hand feel games that focus on flashy effects and set pieces should be condemned for hiding their simplistic, linear and uber repetitive gameplay behind explosions, plane crashes and more explosions...Lazy developers and money grabbing publishers. Activisions new motto should be ''Minimum effort Maximum Profit''
Johnbhoy69 55
 
Posts: 956
Joined: 22 Dec 2011, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby CoreyJLees » 01 May 2013, 23:49

Edit. Edit. Edit.
Last edited by CoreyJLees on 01 May 2013, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
CoreyJLees 29
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Apr 2013, 13:38
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby CoreyJLees » 01 May 2013, 23:50

Johnbhoy69 wrote:This is an action/shooter game, go play Skyrim or LA Noire if you want storytelling, because, believe it or not, "shooters" are focused around "shooting" things. There doesn't have to be an insane plot for a game to be good
Maybe intricate stories confuse you, its ok just enjoy the mindless shooting, wave after wave after wave. Wouldn't want your delicate mind to overheat now would we.

''There are plenty of films that have no merit other than the special effects and action sequences but people love them anyway because its a spectacle''
Admitting by comparison that these games have no merit other than special effects and action sequences but still you defend it? You must think Michael Bay movies are Oscar worthy masterpieces of film making then.

If anyone is the sad act child it is you, As by adamantly defending COD so much you have contradicted yourself and also ''outed'' yourself as a bit of fanboy with a full on throbber for COD
I'm not even a huge fan of Call of Duty

It has ruined FPS, I used to love these types of games, dating back to Goldeneye on the N64. Now they are, as we have both said all special effects and set piece based. Which you seem to think is something to praise I on the other hand feel games that focus on flashy effects and set pieces should be condemned for hiding their simplistic, linear and uber repetitive gameplay behind explosions, plane crashes and more explosions...Lazy developers and money grabbing publishers. Activisions new motto should be ''Minimum effort Maximum Profit''


You sir, are the equivalent of a brick wall.
When did I say intricate plots confuse me? Never. I simply stated that mindless action has its place, because its fun, its entertaining, as entertainment should be. I love a good complex game and nothing thrills me more than playing through a game where anything can and will happen, and which makes you really work to get there. I'm just not solely devoted to these games and can perfectly enjoy the flash and pomp of a Call of Duty game aswell.

"Admitting by comparison that these games have no merit other than special effects and action sequences but still you defend it? You must think Michael Bay movies are Oscar worthy masterpieces of film making then."

I stand by that, these games have no merit beyond the outrageous overdone battle sequences but that's what I like about them, not every game has to be serious. How dare they make Minecraft? It's hardly a representation of building and mining, how dare they? To think people might enjoy something simple and fun instead of being a serious, thoughtful representation of its subject matter? SHOCK HORROR! And no, I don't think films like Michael Bays are worthy of any accolades at all, because its mindless fun entertainment, and everyone enjoys this from time to time, anyone who isn't a massive snob of course and thinks it's beneath them (you, obviously).

"It has ruined FPS, I used to love these types of games, dating back to Goldeneye on the N64. Now they are, as we have both said all special effects and set piece based."

I never said that at all. I said the COD games are, and why not? There's room for a little special effects and set pieces, there are thousands of games out there that never go within a hundred miles of this formula, which take themselves seriously and that's fine. I just hate horrible stuck up arseholes like you who think because you don't have to think to play a game that its a pile of shite.

"I on the other hand feel games that focus on flashy effects and set pieces should be condemned for hiding their simplistic, linear and uber repetitive gameplay"

Good for you. If you don't like it, don't play COD. Its beyond comprehension that you even care. It shows a complete lack of understanding, tolerance, and frankly, quite an outrageous self centred outlook. Just because you don't like it, its shit? That's possibly the most ignorant thing you could have said, and it pretty much automatically renders your "opinion" unworthy of credibility.

By trying to make yourself seem intelligent and "above" me, you've just come across as an ignorant, self centred little snob. I was rather hoping someone at last might be able to give me some actual points as to the negativity COD receives but no, I'm faced with yet another idiot who simply doesn't like COD. You can't be taken seriously at all, your uppity "holier than thou" attitude is worse than disgusting and it is in fact people like you who are ruining games, not COD.
Is it any wonder the games industry is highly regarded as infantile when there's idiots like you going round forums declaring a franchise being terrible and ruinous to the industry simply because you don't like it. Pull your head out of your arse and stop being so offended just because a game you don't like consistently tops the charts, and go play something else to take your fragile little mind off how awful Call of Duty is. You are not worth the time or bother, intelligent conversation is clearly not going to occur here so enjoy your hate fuelled days of ignorance and self importance.
User avatar
CoreyJLees 29
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Apr 2013, 13:38
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby Metalrodent » 01 May 2013, 23:57

Hey Corey, just a heads up - you might wanna lose that aggressive attitude and fondness for insulting us otherwise you'll meet a wise old sage who goes by the name of Kernow
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 71
 
Posts: 5327
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 02 May 2013, 01:56

CoreyJLees wrote:You sir, are the equivalent of a brick wall.
When did I say intricate plots confuse me? Never. I simply stated that mindless action has its place, because its fun, its entertaining, as entertainment should be. I love a good complex game and nothing thrills me more than playing through a game where anything can and will happen, and which makes you really work to get there. I'm just not solely devoted to these games and can perfectly enjoy the flash and pomp of a Call of Duty game aswell.

"Admitting by comparison that these games have no merit other than special effects and action sequences but still you defend it? You must think Michael Bay movies are Oscar worthy masterpieces of film making then."

I stand by that, these games have no merit beyond the outrageous overdone battle sequences but that's what I like about them, not every game has to be serious. How dare they make Minecraft? It's hardly a representation of building and mining, how dare they? To think people might enjoy something simple and fun instead of being a serious, thoughtful representation of its subject matter? SHOCK HORROR! And no, I don't think films like Michael Bays are worthy of any accolades at all, because its mindless fun entertainment, and everyone enjoys this from time to time, anyone who isn't a massive snob of course and thinks it's beneath them (you, obviously).

"It has ruined FPS, I used to love these types of games, dating back to Goldeneye on the N64. Now they are, as we have both said all special effects and set piece based."

I never said that at all. I said the COD games are, and why not? There's room for a little special effects and set pieces, there are thousands of games out there that never go within a hundred miles of this formula, which take themselves seriously and that's fine. I just hate horrible stuck up arseholes like you who think because you don't have to think to play a game that its a pile of shite.

"I on the other hand feel games that focus on flashy effects and set pieces should be condemned for hiding their simplistic, linear and uber repetitive gameplay"

Good for you. If you don't like it, don't play COD. Its beyond comprehension that you even care. It shows a complete lack of understanding, tolerance, and frankly, quite an outrageous self centred outlook. Just because you don't like it, its shit? That's possibly the most ignorant thing you could have said, and it pretty much automatically renders your "opinion" unworthy of credibility.

By trying to make yourself seem intelligent and "above" me, you've just come across as an ignorant, self centred little snob. I was rather hoping someone at last might be able to give me some actual points as to the negativity COD receives but no, I'm faced with yet another idiot who simply doesn't like COD. You can't be taken seriously at all, your uppity "holier than thou" attitude is worse than disgusting and it is in fact people like you who are ruining games, not COD.
Is it any wonder the games industry is highly regarded as infantile when there's idiots like you going round forums declaring a franchise being terrible and ruinous to the industry simply because you don't like it. Pull your head out of your arse and stop being so offended just because a game you don't like consistently tops the charts, and go play something else to take your fragile little mind off how awful Call of Duty is. You are not worth the time or bother, intelligent conversation is clearly not going to occur here so enjoy your hate fuelled days of ignorance and self importance.


Im in no way a brick wall, and if you actually read my comments you will see I never said I didnt like COD. I actually refer to COD 4 Modern Warfare as ''Fantastic''

I am also in no way a snob, I enjoy mindless games as much as anyone but to keep releasing the same old tired mindless game every year. Activision arent the only games company that do this but they really are bleeding COD for all they can get. Sure , companies need to turn a profit to pay employees and of course make better and more exciting games but they didnt put any of that money into making a decent Walking Dead game did they?

Ive given you valid points (in my opinion) as to the negativity COD receives but you chose to ignore them and throw insults instead.

COD set records for its sales and it was inevitable that other Companies would aim to recreate that for themselves and many have tried. Hence its set pieces and special effects heavy style has bleed into other genres. Take Resident Evil 6 for example, the devs clearly said they were trying to appeal to the COD fans and look how that turned out. This is why I mentioned that games that focus on those aspects and not gameplay or story should be condemned. As Resident Evil is not a genre that worked well with this approach, it was a complete mess both in gameplay and story.

COD's influence not only on FPS but on other genres is leading to more and more games opting for style over substance. In Resident Evil 6's case trying to appeal to the COD fanbase reduced the expected sales.

Anyhoo, Im finished with you and your romantic ideals of COD.

OXM usually has pretty good banter with most of the people on here but You however have clearly just joined this site to irritate and insult those who say anything against COD. Your first comment was on this page and it just insults those who have commented. Not exactly a good way to distance yourself from the stereotypical ignorant COD fanboy with nothing better to do than to try to get a rise out of someone.
As for all these insults you are throwing in my direction, what do you think that is going to achieve? I tried to have a discussion with you but you instead chose to resort to childish name calling. Sad little keyboard warriors like you should go back to playing COD and having confusing dreams about Captain Price.
Johnbhoy69 55
 
Posts: 956
Joined: 22 Dec 2011, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Infinity Ward talks Call of Duty: Ghosts - "making Moder

Postby Decent_Jam » 02 May 2013, 07:30

I would quote, but there's so much bile its already hard to drill down to your point.

Firstly, this is a discussion forum, where we talk about all manner of things, some we like, some we don't, but I think as much as people may dislike Call of Duty, they wouldn't call your opinions stupid/pointless/unfounded as they have some respect. We would appreciate it if you'd show us some.

Secondly, the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' argument is plain lazy. Just because something is fun and enjoyable doesn't mean there isn't reason to introduce new ideas and push the limits of what is possible on the existing hardware. You suggest the 360 and others of this generation are what has held COD back from really developing? This simply isn't true, look at any long-running franchise and try to say that those games have remained as stuck in place - Oblivion and Skyrim are literally worlds apart, for example, and even Resident Evil, which hasn't necessarily profited from switching things up, has progressed and changed with the times. Equally Gears of War, which might be a more appropriate comparison, has added new features and gameplay elements (some more successful than others, horde and horde 2.0 stand out as a win) and players have responded to them.

Fair point about 60fps, but personally that doesn't trouble me. Visuals aren't top of the list in my book, it's the gameplay, and the fact is that for me, COD's style of gameplay remains uninspiring, and COD 4's excellent shock tactic in its campaign has yet to be matched or bettered by any subsequent title in the franchise I have played.

You talked about story and shooters not going together, and I grant you it is a challenge, but it can be done. BioShock is the latest good example, though it's shooting pedigree may be a little dated, that doesn't matter because the story and the world are so enjoyable to play.

As for this game, I really want it to be a revolution and change things up because they have got a new engine, it is a new sub-franchise, but to be honest it probably won't hook me in because what people tend to like about COD (i.e. hyper-competitive short, sharp, insta-death multiplayer) isn't what I enjoy about gaming.

So, think about what point you're trying to make, lose the swearing and deliver it in a reasonable, grown-up fashion and you might have a discussion on your hands. As it stands, you're just painting a target on your head, as Rodent says, and there's really no need.

Welcome to the forums ;-)

Oh, and incidentally I'm 25, not under 10.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
User avatar
Decent_Jam 63
 
Posts: 4109
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 10:50
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cypher Unknown, Google Adsense [Bot], Truthhertz and 2 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]