to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Peter Molyneux: the next Xbox should be about games first, c

Your comments on our articles.

"Just give me what I've paid my £299 for, and that is to play amazing, incredible computer games."

Former Microsoft and Lionhead bigwig Peter Molyneux Knows Things about the next generation Xbox, of that you may be very sure. Why else would he agree to speak at Microsoft's reveal event on 21st May? Why else would he say "I'm sworn to secrecy here", and "it should be really good fun, and maybe slightly contentious"?... read more

Postby J Meiser » 02 May 2013, 11:42

I agree with what Peter is saying there; I use my Xbox for gaming. I don't need to use it to watch Sky as both units are in my lounge and I certainly don't use it for Facebook, Internet Browsing, etc.

Connected services are nice and if embedded in cleverly, could be really cool for sharing an awesome gaming moment instantly, but at the end of the day, I am a gamer and if a company brings out a product that puts gaming second then I will find a company who has a gaming-first product.
J Meiser 39

Postby CunningSmile » 02 May 2013, 11:44

I know a lot of people will hail this as the first sensible thing Molyneux has ever said, however whilst I personally couldn't give a hoot about Facebook or Twitter I am using my 360 as much to watch LoveFilm and DVDs as to play games. So far it hasn't had an impact on the number or quality of games being produced and I can't really see it having an impact going forward.

I'm also old enough to remember people complaining when the PS2 launched with the ability to play DVDs. It was going to destroy gaming and shift focus. Now people complain the 360 doesn't have a Bluray player.
Why all the fuss about Dragon Age? Gears of War had a gay character years ago and no one complained...wait, you mean Marcus was straight :shock:
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Re: Peter Molyneux: the next Xbox should be about games firs

Postby mistergrimm » 02 May 2013, 12:57

I think of Molyneux as being kind of like the Boris Johnson of the game industry.

Personally I very much want one machine that does everything. PC's are kind of beating consoles at that game though.

I feel like if consoles add many more features then they won't really be a viable alternative to PCs. As it stands they fill a market share for people who can't spend tons of cash on a powerful gaming computer. If they end up doing everything a PC does - likely further increasing the cost - then it'll just make more sense to spend a bit extra on a nice desktop.
mistergrimm 33

Postby SilentDark » 02 May 2013, 13:23

Games consoles should focus on games first, other considerations should probably come an a nice extra, but they won't, by trying to appeal to the broadest spectrum of consumers possible MS hope to create the largest user base and increase profits. Although at the rate things are going games consoles will eventually be PCs in all but name so the whole "Games consoles are killing off PCs" argument that was touted back as far as when the original xbox live was announced is actually a complete reversal, PCs are killing Games Consoles :lol:
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 63

Postby Rista B » 02 May 2013, 16:01

I would be very surprised after the direction Microsoft has taken over the last couple of years if the next Xbox "doubles down" on the gaming.

MS clearly wants the Xbox to feed into the whole Windows 8 worldview and since they have struggled with pretty much every other part of their portfolio over the last 12 months they are probably viewing this as the one product they can use to help move the other stuff.

I'm not sure they are right but I think that's the most likely strategy they are implementing.
Rista B 13

Postby Windowlicker79 » 02 May 2013, 19:07

Personally I quite like some of the integration of services. I like using my 360 for Netflix and for streaming movies from my laptop via Windows Media Centre. But these things should always take a back seat to games.
It'd be a great shame if Microsoft come out shouting about new TV/Facebook/Twitter/blahblahblah services first instead of new games and gaming services with the new console.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Postby voodoo1102 » 03 May 2013, 13:23

Rista B wrote:I would be very surprised after the direction Microsoft has taken over the last couple of years if the next Xbox "doubles down" on the gaming.

MS clearly wants the Xbox to feed into the whole Windows 8 worldview and since they have struggled with pretty much every other part of their portfolio over the last 12 months they are probably viewing this as the one product they can use to help move the other stuff.

I'm not sure they are right but I think that's the most likely strategy they are implementing.

I'm so worried about that. Windows 8 is awful (compared to 7) and has been widely acknowledged as a failure. I'm concerned Microsoft are going to make this new console with the same unwanted changes just so it fits in with their vision of what we should have, rather than what we want, need or asked for.

I remember being quite vocal (on this very site) about the launch of Kinect, and that it would mean a decline in quality - that Microsoft would move away from the "Core" gaming experience to focus on the fad of motion control. Aside from the redesign for Kinect buggering up the dashboard and filling it with adverts, this nay-saying was largely unwarranted and I think I was wrong. True, there hasn't been a single game on the Kinect that I'd want, but it wasn't the death-knell for Xbox gaming that I thought it would be.

So I'm not sure what to think of talk of the new Xbox being more of a media hub than a games console. So long as it can do what I want - i.e. play games at the same quality or better than a PS4 - I'm not fussed what other functions it has. Just remember the adage - it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
voodoo1102 35

Postby CunningSmile » 03 May 2013, 14:03

voodoo1102 wrote:I remember being quite vocal (on this very site) about the launch of Kinect, and that it would mean a decline in quality - that Microsoft would move away from the "Core" gaming experience to focus on the fad of motion control. Aside from the redesign for Kinect buggering up the dashboard and filling it with adverts, this nay-saying was largely unwarranted and I think I was wrong. True, there hasn't been a single game on the Kinect that I'd want, but it wasn't the death-knell for Xbox gaming that I thought it would be.

So I'm not sure what to think of talk of the new Xbox being more of a media hub than a games console. So long as it can do what I want - i.e. play games at the same quality or better than a PS4 - I'm not fussed what other functions it has. Just remember the adage - it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I think regardless of what features MS include so long as it's easy to design games for there will always be games. After Acti, EA and Ubi amongst others aren't going to make money from apps and I can't imagine them not wanting to have a piece of the next gen Xbox pie
Why all the fuss about Dragon Age? Gears of War had a gay character years ago and no one complained...wait, you mean Marcus was straight :shock:
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby Decent_Jam » 04 May 2013, 08:33

To be honest I have Windows 8 and I like what they've done in most areas. Most of the complaints seem to be over the fact that the start menu has gone, which I'm not fussed about. Some of the apps have limited features still compared to their website based equivalent but I'm interested in the potential the system has, and I quite like the look and feel of the 'metro' interface.

That said, merely replicating it on a new Xbox would be a shame as they are for different purposes, since I clearly have a laptop to do laptop things, why would I want my Xbox to do exactly the same? Hopefully they will customise it enough so that it fits but is also fit for purpose as a gaming-led entertainment machine.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 61

Postby battfink83 » 05 May 2013, 22:50

so he's finally crawled out of the woodwork has he? fix fable 3 you crazy old coot........
battfink83 51