to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed 4: Ubisoft talks next gen versions, DLC and

Your comments on our articles.

This franchise "has a long way to go"

It's hard to know what to make of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, the first cross generation Assassin's Creed. On the one hand, this is one of the most luxuriantly outfitted, exotic and inviting open worlds we've encountered. On the other, the under-loved Assassin's Creed 3 was also one of the most luxuriantly outfitted, exotic and inviting open worlds we'd encountered. Alas, experience has shown that while Assassin's Creed titles tend to be composed of attractive ingredients, those ingredients aren't always combined in a convincing way.... read more

Assassin's Creed 4: Ubisoft talks next gen versions, DLC and

Postby PaladinRonin » 02 May 2013, 17:06

"Edward's motivations are purely selfish: he fights for glory. He has the skills of an Assassin, but he doesn't use them for the Creed. He is, at heart, a pirate. And he's not a "good" pirate like you see in children's tales - he is a criminal with a taste for infamy."

Then how is he an Assassin? This is somthing which I hope is addressed in the game. Connor was not an Assassin becasue he used the Creed for his own selfish ends. I hope the same will not be said of Edward.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 31

Re: Assassin's Creed 4: Ubisoft talks next gen versions, DLC

Postby Grummy » 02 May 2013, 22:13

PaladinRonin wrote:"Edward's motivations are purely selfish: he fights for glory. He has the skills of an Assassin, but he doesn't use them for the Creed. He is, at heart, a pirate. And he's not a "good" pirate like you see in children's tales - he is a criminal with a taste for infamy."

Then how is he an Assassin? This is somthing which I hope is addressed in the game. Connor was not an Assassin becasue he used the Creed for his own selfish ends. I hope the same will not be said of Edward.

They all but said in that interview that they will be addressing this part of his story.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby MasterAssassin » 06 May 2013, 13:54

PaladinRonin wrote:"Edward's motivations are purely selfish: he fights for glory. He has the skills of an Assassin, but he doesn't use them for the Creed. He is, at heart, a pirate. And he's not a "good" pirate like you see in children's tales - he is a criminal with a taste for infamy."

This will be adressed in the story,

The thing that i am very interested to see is how Edward's character will conflict with the Assassins Creed, he will start out as Pirate first and for most but it will be very interesting to see his encounter with the Assassins and i hope that we will witness this transition throughout the game.
MasterAssassin 1

Postby Krypt » 14 May 2013, 04:05

i think after ac3 being so buggy and them basically saying deal with it and shoving dlc down our throat i wll not be buying anymore ac games i use to love the games but they are really starting to milk this franchise and it's a shame because they had soemthing great. Mark my words after watch dogs blows up they will do the same thing and make it a yearly release.They clearly dont care about there consumers they just want our money like any other company but u could atleast fix a broken product before shoving trash dlc down our throat and ac being a yearly title is a shame vote with your wallet people...
Krypt 5

Postby Digitaldevil7 » 01 Aug 2013, 20:31

Krypt wrote:i think after ac3 being so buggy and them basically saying deal with it and shoving dlc down our throat i wll not be buying anymore ac games i use to love the games but they are really starting to milk this franchise and it's a shame because they had soemthing great. Mark my words after watch dogs blows up they will do the same thing and make it a yearly release.They clearly dont care about there consumers they just want our money like any other company but u could atleast fix a broken product before shoving trash dlc down our throat and ac being a yearly title is a shame vote with your wallet people...

Indeed I will vote with my wallet which is why I will buy AC4. Everyone says AC3 was soooo buggy. It's not half as buggy as the bug laden glitch infested Skyrim. Yet Skyrim seems to get a pass because it's still a fun open world game. Did Bethesda fix even half the bugs in the game before pumping out DLC? No. There are still bugs in Skyrim that were there the day of release. Actually everytime I sit down to play Skyrim it feels like there are more and more bugs. Anyway back to my point the bugs in AC3 are much fewer and farther in between. I own every good open world game, Red Dead Redemption being my favorite in that category and favorite game period. AC3 and RDR are the two open world games I enjoy the most. Yes it's true AC3 does have quit a few bugs but they are mostly C and B class bugs. At least I never ran into any A class bugs. That means bugs that stop gameplay like lock ups or bugs that halt story advancement for any number of reasons.

As far as milking goes I feel that it's only milking when the games aren't fun anymore and the story isn't interesting anymore. For me that hasn't happened yet. I've loved every game out thus far and beaten each at least 3 times. I find the story to be one of the most interesting and compelling I've ever seen in a video game. Some people don't like the Desmond story line and wish that the scifi portion of the game was scrapped all together. Some people like Desmond's story but feel it's confusing or convoluted. Personally I just think those people aren't paying close enough attention. I love history and scifi and I feel they have found a way to blend them masterfully. Reminds me of the novel Timeline by Michael Chrichton.

I beat games quickly so I couldn't be happier that the games are coming out on a yearly bases. The main thing is the story. As long as the story is good I don't care if nothing else changes. As long as the story is interesting and progressing then I don't care if the gameplay and graphics don't change at all. That's why I loved Brotherhood and Revelations. It was more of what I loved. And it really sucks that most people seemed to have not liked Revelations. Before AC3 came out it was the most complicated and interesting of the AC games. When I say complicated that's a huge compliment because now adays games are fare too simple. Anyway my rant is done. I could go on but I shant.
Digitaldevil7 1

Postby Digitaldevil7 » 01 Aug 2013, 20:59

Hah wow. Ya right. Connor trying to save his people, and still help everyone else around him while assassinating the Templars, was just so selfish. I fail to see how you could come to such a baseless conclusion. Practically everything Conner does is selfless and yet you think he's selfish. Wow. At times in the game Achilles actually has to tell Connor just to follow the Creed and kill the Templar because Connor is trying to do good and help others but Achilles is telling him that's not his job. The Assassins fight a war against the Templar they do not go around saving everyone they see. That was Connor's greatest problem with the Creed. So you see if anything he is by far the most selfless Assassin we have be introduced to yet. At one point Connor thinks about how it would be easier just to go home, back to his people, and live a simple life among them. However he doesn't do that, he knows he has a job to do.

All of the Assassins featured thus far in the series have all had their own problems with the Creed. Heck Altiar was very nearly executed for not following it's tenants. That doesn't mean any of them should not be considered Assassins. How you drew that conclusion and why you would think you have the right to determine who is and is not an Assassin is beyond me.

Do you not know what Assassins means? As long as Edward is killing the Templar targets set before him, he's an Assassin. Besides a story about a bad Assassin is far more interesting than a story about a goody goody Assassin who follows the Creed to a T and has no life. That's a major point of AC4. Getting to see how Edward deals with being a pirate and an Assassin. Getting to see how a bad man gets pulled into a good cause. Besides antiheroes are far more interesting then regular heroes.
Digitaldevil7 1

Postby PaladinRonin » 02 Sep 2013, 15:30

Digitaldevil7 wrote:

Hah wow. Ya right. Connor trying to save his people, and still help everyone else around him while assassinating the Templars, was just so selfish. I fail to see how you could come to such a baseless conclusion. Practically everything Conner does is selfless and yet you think he's selfish. Wow. At times in the game Achilles actually has to tell Connor just to follow the Creed and kill the Templar because Connor is trying to do good and help others but Achilles is telling him that's not his job. The Assassins fight a war against the Templar they do not go around saving everyone they see. That was Connor's greatest problem with the Creed. So you see if anything he is by far the most selfless Assassin we have be introduced to yet. At one point Connor thinks about how it would be easier just to go home, back to his people, and live a simple life among them. However he doesn't do that, he knows he has a job to do.

All of the Assassins featured thus far in the series have all had their own problems with the Creed. Heck Altiar was very nearly executed for not following it's tenants. That doesn't mean any of them should not be considered Assassins. How you drew that conclusion and why you would think you have the right to determine who is and is not an Assassin is beyond me.

Do you not know what Assassins means? As long as Edward is killing the Templar targets set before him, he's an Assassin. Besides a story about a bad Assassin is far more interesting than a story about a goody goody Assassin who follows the Creed to a T and has no life. That's a major point of AC4. Getting to see how Edward deals with being a pirate and an Assassin. Getting to see how a bad man gets pulled into a good cause. Besides antiheroes are far more interesting then regular heroes.

The diffrence is that both Aitair and Ezio matured with age and experiance. Connor didn't. And Connor may have said he was trying to save his people, but I never bought it. It all just seemed like one big long revenge hunt for the people who destroyed his village.
I still think that the series is making the Assasin's and Templars one-sided, more so in ACIII.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 31