to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Twice shy: seven ways Dark Souls 2 is tougher than Dark Soul

Your comments on our articles.

Prepare to die in many new and interesting ways

Last month, IGN hosted a 12 minute demo for Dark Souls 2 with a walkthrough commentary from director Yui Tanimura. The demo showed off several new areas from the game, as well as a few new gameplay mechanics. We've scrubbed back and forth through the footage more times than is healthy, and our sense is that Dark Souls 2 will be much, much harder even than the famously tough original.... read more

Twice shy: seven ways Dark Souls 2 is tougher than Dark Soul

Postby SilentDark » 04 May 2013, 13:04

I suppose the "smarter enemies" thing depends on whether the monsters become more observant or just become bloody clairvoyant. If it's the latter than it's not a challenge it's cheating.

Seems like after the fuss about DS2 becoming "more accessible" they've decided to ramp up the difficulty even more.

To be honest the drab environments, non existent plot, lazy voice acting have already put me off and nothing I've heard thus far has changed my mind. :(
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Re: Twice shy: seven ways Dark Souls 2 is tougher than Dark

Postby TemplarKnight » 04 May 2013, 13:29

Looks like we have a time traveller above.

Not.

:roll:
TemplarKnight 10

Postby Grummy » 04 May 2013, 13:31

I've held a genuine concern that the new creative heads of the game would feel obliged to make DS2 'better' than the first one, and the only way they could do that is by making it harder. This is a problem as there is a fine line between brutal but fair and outright cheating/unnecessarily unfair. There are moments in DS where the game is quite unfair, but it is only the odd moment, not a trend in the game, it sounds like DS2 could be heading down the unfair-as-standard route. I hope not. I hope that DS 2 isn't so much tougher than DS1 than it is more variable, these new challenges are just more of same, but new so we have something new to figure out. That will be awesome, new challenges to overcome that aren't made overly hard by some desperate need to appear 'better' than its predecessor.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 04 May 2013, 13:32

TemplarKnight wrote:Looks like we have a time traveller above.

Not.

No, what you have is someone who has seen/played the last game and is using experience, coupled with the screenies and videos of the new game to form an early opinion. Stop being a jackass.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby PonderingWalrus » 04 May 2013, 13:56

TemplarKnight wrote:Looks like we have a time traveller above.

Not.

A snide comment and eye rolling smiley face...

Oh my god, he's back! Man the defences!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Kieran Whiteland » 04 May 2013, 14:24

SilentDark wrote:I suppose the "smarter enemies" thing depends on whether the monsters become more observant or just become bloody clairvoyant. If it's the latter than it's not a challenge it's cheating.

Seems like after the fuss about DS2 becoming "more accessible" they've decided to ramp up the difficulty even more.

To be honest the drab environments, non existent plot, lazy voice acting have already put me off and nothing I've heard thus far has changed my mind. :(

If you think the plot is non-existent you obviously weren't playing it right, go look up epicnamebro on youtube and realise how unbelievably wrong you are. And voice acting is not a valid argument to criticise a game EVER. Who really cares? The dialogue is minimal anyways, which is good. If you're looking for an RPG with decent voice acting you're gonna be disappointed since even the big budget ones don't. Games are for gameplay and despite the story being there AND great, it should always take a backseat, and voice acting should just be ignored outright. And drab environments? I hope you're talking about the second one, of which we've hardly seen anything, since the only game that comes close to the firsts enviroments is Zelda: Skyward Sword.
Kieran Whiteland 1

Postby PonderingWalrus » 04 May 2013, 14:57

Kieran Whiteland wrote:
SilentDark wrote:I suppose the "smarter enemies" thing depends on whether the monsters become more observant or just become bloody clairvoyant. If it's the latter than it's not a challenge it's cheating.

If you think the plot is non-existent you obviously weren't playing it right, go look up epicnamebro on youtube and realise how unbelievably wrong you are. And voice acting is not a valid argument to criticise a game EVER. Who really cares? The dialogue is minimal anyways, which is good. If you're looking for an RPG with decent voice acting you're gonna be disappointed since even the big budget ones don't. Games are for gameplay and despite the story being there AND great, it should always take a backseat, and voice acting should just be ignored outright. And drab environments? I hope you're talking about the second one, of which we've hardly seen anything, since the only game that comes close to the firsts enviroments is Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Not true. Would Mass Effect be anywhere near as good as it is if all the characters talked in a monotonous male drone?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby SilentDark » 04 May 2013, 15:01

Kieran Whiteland wrote:

What? Bad voice acting isn't a valid criticism. Actually it is, any game which has voice acting in it the acting is a part of the experience, so yeah I can criticise it all I want. And you thing there are no RPGs with good voice acting, well off the top of my head I can think of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, and oh yeah Mass Effect. Saying that games are there only for gameplay is a really dated concept, more and more games focus on story and plot. RPGs are generally expected to be plot heavy, this is basically a dungeon crawl with an excuse plot. Nothing wrong with that but I personally don't care for them. And as for the graphics, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose but nothing in this game stood out to me, it seemed pretty standard as far as dark fantasy settings go. I've stopped on a few messages saying stuff like "Awesome view ahead", taken a look and thought to myself "where?"

"Voice acting should be ignored outright" seriously, play all those RPGs out there with the sound turned off. It's a totally different experience. I personally prefer a decent story with characters I care about and a world whose fate I get invested in because that drives me forward. With no real strong plot hooks pulling me in I found it hard to get motivated. If I were to say anything in Dark Souls defence it would be "It's not physically painful to play like Final Fantasy XIII" but this does look like it's more of the same and personally that doesn't interest me. I'm really sorry that my opinion bothers you so much, but hey, enojoy Dark Souls 2, I say that without a hint of sarcasm.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby Eviltiger » 04 May 2013, 15:06

Lets all agree Dark souls is amazing but not for those who arent true gamers. And secondly Dark Souls two will be epic.

I am also hoping this title will go next generation....
Eviltiger 5

Postby Metalrodent » 04 May 2013, 15:20

Eviltiger wrote:Lets all agree Dark souls is amazing but not for those who arent true gamers

Oh for gods sake, can we please stop with all the people on the internet going on about those who don't like/haven't played Dark Souls not being 'true' gaming fans. Being good at one hard game does not make you a 'true gamer'
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby SilentDark » 04 May 2013, 15:25

Eviltiger wrote:Lets all agree Dark souls is amazing but not for those who arent true gamers. And secondly Dark Souls two will be epic.

-sigh- it really is impossible to get away from you lot isn't it. Let me dispell a myth for you, there is no such thing as a true gamer, I've played games nearly 30 years, does that make me a true gamer, no, I've played hard games, easy games, "casual" games, "hardcore" games, does any of that affect how "true" a gamer I am? Of course not. Some people love games so difficult that many countries consider them a form of torture but won't like this for any number of reasons, the most base of which could be they simply don't like RPGs. I don't even hate this game, I just don't like it very much, and yes there is a difference. People who want to insist this is the best game ever made, well that's quite simply unlikely, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, but throwing around statements like this "true gamer" BS makes all of us sound like elitest clowns who simply can't accept that gaming has become more mainstream.
SilentDark 66

Postby SidTheSloth » 04 May 2013, 15:34

Eviltiger wrote:Lets all agree Dark souls is amazing but not for those who arent true gamers. And secondly Dark Souls two will be epic.

Y'know, i absolutely love the game, warts and all - but comments like this and the general attitude really make me wish i didn't...

I can't defend people who write shit like this, unfortunately the game seems to walk hand in hand with them for some irritating reason, but at the same time it does get awfully tiresome reading the same stuff oooover and over again from people who dislike the game too.

I get that you don't like it, respect and understand your reasons, i maybe don't agree, but hey, to each their own - but for the love of god, we don't need to hear in every single thread about why it's so terrible. It baits the aforementioned idiots for one thing, and for another, it'd be nice to have a thread about the game where people who do like it can talk about it without it descending into either a list of pro's cons by the prosecution/defence, or worse, a flame war.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 04 May 2013, 16:06

I poured in a stupid amount of hours into Dark Souls as I was under the impression that to beat it I had to grind like hell. Which isn't true, once you become familiar with the attack patterns of the enemies and bosses its simply a case of avoidance and striking at the right moment then back away and repeat. The game can be beat with very little grinding and from what Ive heard without dying at all.

Id like From Software to go all out with the sequel, not load it with more cheap deaths like the Anor Londo archers. Make the game actually challenging in terms of heightened enemy aggression and randomising their attack patterns more. Not to the point where the weaker enemies are a constant challenge but have the tougher larger non boss enemy types become more than the usual avoid, attack repeat routine. Have enemies actually try flanking your defense instead of just surrounding you and attacking wildly until ''You Died'' appears on screen.

I really want roaming enemies too, not stationary lifeless beings that don't move a freaking muscle till you are within range of them.

Also I think the higher powered spells and weapons should be very rare, requiring the utmost dedication to earn. Maybe in the form of super ultra rare item drops from enemies to gather all the materials needed.

Im sick of mage type invaders one hitting me with their fecking spells :lol:
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby msbhvn » 04 May 2013, 17:43

Really must get back to playing Dark Souls on PC. I'm in Anor Londo and just about to battle the bosses, which I'm a little hesitant about because they are supposed to be really hard. So I let myself get distracted by God of War on my new PS3. :oops:

DS2 needs to have the controls explained a bit better and a few popups about how things like humanity work. Making the game accessible isn't the same as making it easy. In fact, if they let people know what they're doing, they could even make it harder. Half of the difficulty of DS1 was poor explanation of how the systems work, and they included my pet RPG peeve of pages of incomprehensible numbers in the menus. Even after over 18 months, nobody knows exactly how Poise works, for example.

And the most important thing, can we not have the first areas be boring as s*** this time?
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby fracturedrich » 04 May 2013, 18:10

Ive just finished god of war 3 on my new gig and that was hard,there were a couple of frustrating parts in that game but overall a very good experience.I will be honest i did not take to dark souls at all at first,in fact i would go out on a limb and say i hated it.I did kick on and ime glad i did,for me it did give me a special gaming experience,i made a lot of friends playing that game who i still game with now.It is not about i hate it or like it,or it's to hard for me it is about the whole picture.I no i had a good time playing it and i get rage more than anyone not enough to smash my tv but i do get highly strung.I don't no why but i kept my cool and if times got hard my new friends would get the S.O.S and the cavalry would arrive in the form of that white or orange sighn.I respect peoples opinions but the internet has gone mad with hate over video games,this is a follow up if you did not like the first one you will do well to stay clear,if like me and others we hope it will be better,clever ai is my biggest wish for next gen and what better franchise to role with than the soul series.I like the idea that going one way will lock off others,that will keep different experience for the second run.
fracturedrich 47

Next